JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently picked up a CMP M1 Garand. With the current availability of reloading supplies being so dismal, I can't find the powder and bullets I was looking for. I have some Varget and Sierra 168 gr Matchking HPBTs on hand. Has anyone tried this combo in a Garand? I think Varget is slightly slower than 4895, so it may be ok.

The old rule of thumb on powder for an M-1 is nothing faster than 4895 and nothing slower than 4064.

That said, the spread among those powders is 89 on the burn rate chart for IMR-4895 (H-4895=87) and 95 for IMR-4064. Varget is right above 4064 @ 99. That's so close that I wouldn't worry about Varget being an issue as long as you work the load up properly.

I think you''d see more problems if you were trying to use another favorite '06 powder, H-4350 for example.

I am a Garand ingnoramus, so take this with a grain of salt. My guess is that the rule of thumb applies to M2 ball, i.e. 147gr FML (deadshot2?). Since you are loading for 168gr, then, a slightly slower powder might work just fine.

Deadshot,

What burn rate chart are you talking about? Can you provide a link?

The old rule of thumb on powder for an M-1 is nothing faster than 4895 and nothing slower than 4064.

That said, the spread among those powders is 89 on the burn rate chart for IMR-4895 (H-4895=87) and 95 for IMR-4064. Varget is right above 4064 @ 99. That's so close that I wouldn't worry about Varget being an issue as long as you work the load up properly.

I think you''d see more problems if you were trying to use another favorite '06 powder, H-4350 for example.

This is why we have Reloading books.

Hornady 8th ed has a special set of loads for the M1 Garand.

Varget is listed as being suited for 150 to 178gr bullets

Varget 150gr slugs shows 2400fps 42.3gr 2600fps MAX LOAD 46.2grs see your bullets info for OAL

Varget 168gr slugs shows 2300fps 40.3gr 2600fps MAX LOAD 47grs see your bullets info for OAL

Varget 150gr slugs shows 2200fps 37.9gr 2550fps MAX LOAD 46.4grs see your bullets info for OAL

I offer this load info here only as an example. Please see the info in the actual book before loading live ammo.

Thanks for all the helpfull replies. I have numerous reloading manuals, but most of them are old enough they don't list Varget. I was pretty sure that Varget would work, but it never hurts to ask someone with experience. I will give Varget a try and see how the new Garand shoots. I wonder how long the current gun / ammo / reloading buying frenzy will last this time.

I have two cmp Garands and the first thing I did was grab 1500 of the greek ammo from the CMP. At 50 cents a round, it's the best deal going on ammo for the Garands. Once you've emptied those, reload 'em!

I have used Varget and 4895 to reload with good results. 44.5 of 4895, 168 gr hpbt and Winchester primers cycle great and are plenty accurate. Remember that since I am reloading greek surplus, I dropped the charge by about 10%. Keep that in mind when reloading.

I'm trying to find some M1 data myself. I have some AA-2230 but haven't found any data for it. It's a little faster than 4895 but seems to be within the burn range for what I've seen...

I'm trying to find some M1 data myself. I have some AA-2230 but haven't found any data for it. It's a little faster than 4895 but seems to be within the burn range for what I've seen...

What bullet are you planning on using with it? I have seen some limited info with this powder and will try and find it.

Ron

I have some 168 HPBT and 165 flat base soft points, both Speer

168 HPBT Accurate AAC-2230 41.4GR 2,450fps This was Accurate's recommended starting load.

168 HPBT Accurate AAC-2230 46.0GR 2,663fps Listed as max load

I did not see the 165SP listed anywhere yet but will let you know if I do. There are loads listed for 150SP's

Ron

I will look into it. If I can't find anything for that specific powder, I will check powders close to it with similar burn rates and start a bit below the data for those and work up. Just kind of hard with the way the M1 is. Have to be careful with pressure and the op rod...ugh. Really wish I could just find the right powder, then I wouldn't be having any issues at all!! LOL.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top