JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I picked up some .308 Nosler 125g Ballistic Tips yesterday just to try them out in my bolt action remmy 700 30-06. I was planning on seating them .010 off the lands as a starting point but it seems that the bullet is way to short for this. The closest I could get was about .070 off the lands which seems way to far to me.

I measured an OAL of ~2.830 (bullet o-give to brass head) for the new setup.. I've done this on my 150g, 165g, 180g Accubonds a bunch of times and I'm pretty sure I got a good measure. But I was scratching my head :huh:, so I tried the old put the bullet in a fired piece of brass (with no powder or primer) and close the bolt. Well that failed as well... the bullet never seated it always fell out when I un-chambered the round. My brass is cut to about 2.483-2.484. (Max is 2.494 according to the manual) I've only been reloading for 2 years and only my 30-06 in 150, 165, 180g bullets. I guess I assumed that I could get the 125g right up near the lands like I did with the other bullets. Did I have a bad assumption?

Something just didn't seem correct to me. Either I was screwing something up or my assumption was incorrect about seating the 125g closer to the lands. So I stopped short of seating any of the 125g BTs in the brass.

Could use some input. Thanks!

You probably need a flat base bullet to 'reach' out to your preferred OA dimension and still retain grip. Disadvantage of Light weight bullets, unless you shoot all copper.

Bad assumption. You probably can't get there. As moto said, copper and MAYBE flat base.

Shoot them - you might be surprised they shoot just fine with the jump. I'm traveling again, so I don't have my data on the OAL with 125's. Certainly minute of deer.

You can give Nosler a call, too, and they may make a suggestion.

Too much throat and not enough bullet. I can't get 135gr SMKs to the lands in my factory Rem700 .270 either.
Long throats help keep pressures down, so rifle manufacturers tend to set them that way.
You could have the barrel set back and re-chambered with a shorter throat, but then 165s and 180gr or larger will be buried in the case to keep them from being jammed in the lands.
I have an '06 built on an '09 Argentine that is that way. The mag is too short to seat them out any further, so the barrel is short throated for optimum use of 150s and 165s.

Thanks guys I'm happy to know the problem it was just my assumption and lack of knowledge with the lighter bullets. Thanks for passing along the info. I'll just let them jump to the lands and see how it goes. I like Jamie's idea of re-chambering, maybe I just need another '06 haha

I like Jamie's idea of re-chambering, maybe I just need another '06 haha
If that's what ya want to do, just let me know.
I'm in "cash recovery mode" ATM, so it wouldn't bother me to part with that short throated '06.
It's a sub MOA shooter with the right loads. Just needs the stock re-finished.

I've loaded 125 gr Sierra JSP bullets in the 30-06 with no problem. They can't be seated near the lands - just seat them at least .250 (1/4") in the case neck and try them. Mine were loaded max per the loading manual and shot very accurately. DDstraitwell

I shot the first loads this week at 300 yds. The results turned out ok and I got some data from the shooting ladder. I had seated them .2 into the case neck so I might try .25 the next time around. Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top