JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Columbian metro editor
Published: July 25, 2015, 8:27 AM

Three Vancouver men who were allegedly shooting propane bottles have been arrested for starting the Colvin Fire, which burned forest land near Woodland this week.
Cowlitz County sheriff's deputies say they have arrested Michael J. Estrada-Cardenas, 22, Nathan C. Taylor, 21 and Adrian D. Taylor on suspicion of first-degree reckless burning, a felony. All have been jailed without bail pending a first court appearance. In addition to jail time, under state law they could be ordered to repay the cost of firefighting efforts.
The fire began last Sunday. Deputies say the three men shot four 16-ounce propane bottles in a forested area off Frederickson Road, east of Woodland, on a day when temperatures reached the high 90s and it hadn't rained in weeks.
After they shot the bottles with a .223 caliber A/R rifle, a 12 gauge shotgun and a 9mm pistol, they realized they had started a fire, according to deputies. They allegedly tried to put the flames out before they departed, but left some embers still burning, according to deputies.
The fire was reported that afternoon. Named the Colvin Fire, it burned 129 acres before being declared contained Friday. The fire did not threaten any structures, but fighting it required deployment of multiple wildland firefighting crews from around the region.
The case is being investigated by Cowlitz sheriff's Deputy Lorenzo Gladson and Senior Fire Investigator Albert Kassel of the Washington State Department of Natural Resources. The case was solved by a combination of analyzing evidence found at the scene and information from interviews of several people they were able to identify the three men, according to the sheriff's office.

Just too stupid for words.:mad:

Too bad curiosity got the best of them. Young bucks just can't resist the idea of how much fun it would be to see something blow up! (Reminds me of me at that age!) Must be too immature to think about the real consequences.

Like Dear 'ol Dad used to say, "Males don't get their maturity till they're around 30 years old".

To think that in just a few years from now they might have given it a second thought. Now they stand to loose their guns and their future rights to own them. Amongst other things.

Shooting propane cans in a tinder dry area is a whole new level of stupid...
Really, we've gotta come up with a new word..."Stupid" just isn't cutting it any more.

Several years back I told my wife that in a few short years we're going to see popular ranges being closed and no new ranges coming on line to replace what was lost. The "video gamer shootists" with their short attention spans, no social skills, and constant craving for bigger "bang" are going to trash what there is, and piss-off anyone (including other gun owners) living near a range. Think about it, if you were living next door to an area that was proposed as a new public range, and after seeing what goes on at the ones they've had to close, would you really want that as a neighbor?

What prompted my comment to my wife back then?...
...It was my first(and last) viewing of "Sons of Guns". Apparently TV producers decided to take it upon themselves to make regular gun buffs look like idiots and to attract thrill seeker, mall ninja, pyromaniacs to the gun culture...This was followed by the fairly sudden onslaught of exploding target crap in the stores.then they added "American Guns" to make it even worse. Did we really need the Discovery Channel (an anti gun outfit) to portray gun owners and how to use a range in that way?

Sure, in the past ranges have often been abused by morons, but it has deteriorated to the point where the now huge number of trash shooters don't care and the real, responsible gun owners are sick and tired of the constant cleaning up after them.

(Rant off...I feel much better now)

Last Edited:
Like Dear 'ol Dad used to say, "Males don't get their maturity till they're around 30 years old".
Sounds familiar. My dad used to say that boys are a mathematical equation. Brains over boys.
1 boy = 1 brain
2 boys = 1/2 brain
3 boys = 1/3 brain
etc...

I remember hearing about a couple of teenage boys shooting some 30/06 into a semi trailer parked in a gravel pit quarry up in Washington State somewheres.
The trailer was loaded with explosives for blasting the quarry and after a couple of rounds it blew them to smithereens.

Last Edited:
I remember hearing about a couple of teenaged boys shooting some 30/06 into a semi trailer parked in a gravel pit quarry up in Washington State somewheres.
The trailer was loaded with explosives for blasting the quarry and after a couple of rounds it blew them to smithereens.
Awesome... that's what you get for not checking your backstop. Darwin award for them!!

You can betcher sweetass there's a whole lot more to that story.

Exactly. The no bail hold on a C felony is very strange. They will try to plead down to a misdeamenor (sp I know), but the reckless burning does not really have a misdemeaor equal they could go to. Get ready to get hit with a 3 million dollar civil judgement for the costs. Hell yeah.

Exactly. The no bail hold on a C felony is very strange. They will try to plead down to a misdeamenor (sp I know), but the reckless burning does not really have a misdemeaor equal they could go to. Get ready to get hit with a 3 million dollar civil judgement for the costs. Hell yeah.

it could be as simple as they got arrested Friday and the first opportunity for arraignment/set bond is Monday. Or it might even be that the Judge only does arraignments a couple times a week ( I think they have 72 hours to arraign a newly arrested individual?)

it could be as simple as they got arrested Friday and the first opportunity for arraignment/set bond is Monday. Or it might even be that the Judge only does arraignments a couple times a week ( I think they have 72 hours to arraign a newly arrested individual?)
No doubt alcohol was involved...
If guilty, I hope they're "prosecuted to the full extent of the law" - and charged with the entire cost of the fire fighting operation, for as long as it takes to pay it off, as a consequence the selfish behavior of fools going for a quick thrill.
The men and women who defended life and property battling the fire deserve no less than full accountability.
Lives were risked to clean up emoji_u1f4a9.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads