JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your preference?

• Savage Model 64

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Mossberg 702 "Plinkster"

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Rossi RS22

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
To marksman77, I wouldn't buy a 22 without a threaded barrel. Only exception would be a revolver or revolving carbine. Having the option to shoot suppressed subsonic is the only way to go for me for .22 Armscorp m14y Bolt action suppressed rifle for $120-$130 would be more fun and more useful for pesting for me.

Also limited capacity for a semi auto is a real downer Imo. Going semi auto there are quite a few interesting full capacity guns out there for example 10/22 which can be modified into so many different styles including g36 or whatever a person wants to do. Other examples are the interesting and fun clone/homage guns out there including mp5, uzi, arx 160, hk416 rifle or pistol, and on and on. I could understand if it was a kid with no money to buy a gun but personally I would rather spend a little more and get something more interesting/fun with a threaded barrel. 2 cents.

Last Edited:
I know, I know. But I was looking for an article or video comparing the 3 and that's how I found this message board. Thanks!
Wow, some drivel I wrote actually made it onto a Google Search.
Solemnly honoured 😌
...however...
I certainly hope you've recently moved from Pittsburgh to THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST, seeing how this is The NORTHWEST Firearms site!
If not, the exit is that way -> , please leave immediately and don't disturb the animals. Thank you.
....however...
Before you leave, you did ask....
Marksman77 said:
What choice did you end up making? I'm currently looking for a cheap semi-auto 22lr rifle and I've worked it down to the same 3 models.
I decided to stick with my dad's Mossberg 142A.
A clip can pop a ragged hole in the center of a butter dish lid at 50 yards. Good enough for me...plus it's got the "James Bond"-league coolness factor with the flip down forearm and the finger grips on the hand grip....now where did Dad leave the DB5?
As for your quandry, my suggestion for you is to forget any of those guns I listed.
I recently saw a post where a guy's Rossi .22 lever gun actually broke the receiver (as in huge, gaping crack).....firing .22's.......🤔
Since creating this post, I've heard some pretty bad reports concerning the model 64. A lot of jamming and inaccuracy gripes.
If you're looking into an inexpensive .22, you might look at the Savage Mk.II (warning: this is a bolt action rifle). I've heard pretty good reports from that gun recently.
Also, the Mossberg, but maybe the 802 (bolt action) instead of the 702. Haven't heard anything about it, but I decided to stick with my dad's 70 year old Mossy, so there's hope.
As for a semi-auto, nothing like vintage baby! ol' Remington 552 Speedmaster, or THE ORIGINAL, the Browning SA22, putting smiles on faces since 1914.
Check Gunbroker, or any of the myriad of used firearm selling sites to see the merchandise.
Of course Henry resurrected the AR7 "survival rifle" (that's the one that packs into its own buttstock and floats) recently. I understand they're doing a pretty good job with it and its a nice little shooter, so there's a new offering in case vintage doesn't float your boat.
One other alternative you might be interested in is a pump. You could think of it as a Manually operated Semi-auto!. 🤩
Henry makes a pretty good one, but the only other one currently in production that I'm aware of is the Rossi, and again......no.
On the used market, this is one of the few times Rossi can be suggested. Back in the 70's, 80's and 90's they made a very nice copy of the old Winchester 62A (last iteration of the classic .22 Winchester pump rifle) and it is fondly remembered by many of us.
Hope that helps.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews