JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a 6" Smith model 66 with an amazing target trigger and target hammer, and am planning to find a gunsmith who can chop it to a 3".

For background I also have a 5" 686+ talo and a 629 5", love the balance and aesthetic of the 5" barrels with the full underlug. Just does it for me.

FWIW it's my impression that with regard to .357 mag there is a significant ballistic benefit in going from a 2" to a 3" barrel.

0507A6A3-9ECC-4919-A94B-C3B5036EF8D9.jpeg 287B8B82-2E6D-4F39-9F38-57A45AFB6BEE.jpeg CE80F139-83E6-485D-A391-B0A289B06D98.jpeg

I am an old man, in my early days most everyone carried a revolver including the police. My first 357 was a Ruger Security Six with a 4 inch barrel.

Even back then you had to reload if you wanted to get enough practice to be good and most shooting was done with 38 special.

Over the decades of shooting I found the best compromise to get the most out of a 357 and still be convenient to carry was a 6 inch revolver. More power, less blast and greater sight radius so more accuracy.

That was in my younger days of hunting with a handgun.

Today's carry 357 is a 2 inch Smith 66 with 38 +p ammo in it. About as much as my old arthritic hands can take now.

And a lever gun in .41mag. That's on my top 5 list of unobtainable items.
Someone already touched on this, but I had a Marlin 1894 that was a 41 Mag. I sold it about 10-12 years ago at a good profit, but not the profit it would sell for now! They bring a pretty healthy price now.

I'm not a fan of longer barrels on packing guns. I had a 686+ 4" that I wish I had back. I shot a bunch of hot 357 rounds through it, mostly offhand at 40-50 yards. It was accurate and I liked the 7th round. I'd seriously considered the GP-100 and compared the two side by side. The decision was made when I was offered a used 686+. I don't think I would have gone wrong either way.
Right now , in my jacket pocket. is a 3" Model 60-15. I love this gun. I usually shoot it with 357 ammo and shoot it one and two handed at moving targets. It has a bit of a bite, but it doesn't bother me too much.
Here's the two I'm talking about. I'd recommend either, depending on the intended usage.

686+.JPG 20201121_183614.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads