Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

3 inch to 3 1/2 inch ?

Discussion in 'Shotgun Discussion' started by Rant, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Rant

Rant grand forks bc Member

Does it make any difference in a 12 g?

2. Rant

Rant grand forks bc Member

10g better then 3 1/2 ?

3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Basically, more felt recoil for little gain. Either a little more velocity or a little more shot depending on the load!
    I once read that it was a 10ga stuffed into a 12ga. That might be on paper, not sure real world. Possibly a narrower, longer shot string with the 31/2", compared to the 10ga.

4. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

maybe depends on what your hunting.... heard thru conversation that they made 3 1/2" in response to banning lead shot for waterfowl and the 3" loads didn’t shoot the heavier steel shot as far. Goose and turkey hunters wanted more whallop what they were used to... so they made 3 1/2" in response to steel shot.

orygun, mjbskwim and Dyjital like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Dead on KODA. That's basically what happened. Unless a person is hunting Goose or turkey, the extra weight of the Gun and the extra expense of the gun and shells is not worth it. It does have a slight range advantage, but not that much, and it is usually a denser shot pattern. The slight increase in power is just to move the extra shot. Not really a replacement to the 10 bore ether. There are those that claim the gourmet uber expensive led replacement stuff works better, but I have not seen any improvement in range or killing power! Back when we used lead, 2 3//4 was all but the standard and a 3 was bad mojo for the big birds. Steel shot is faster, but looses speed at a much faster rate then lead. We used to patrol the berry fields with 12, 16 and 20 gauge and 100 yard kills was not that uncommon,Even the little .410 was pretty good out to around 50 yards or so! With steel you get maybe 40 yards out of steel shot and 50 yards from a 3 inch 12! I have all but stopped bird hunting as clean kills are not a sure thing and my dog gets pretty beat up with wounded birds plus he has to swim a lot farther to fetch them!

6. madmax

madmax woodburn Active Member

A 3-1/2 12g 96% or a 10

On a 870 there are few few things differnt. I have all the parts you need to concert

7. brickshooter

brickshooter Los Angeles, Ca New Member

Slugs. Would a 3 1/2" give better performance beyond 100 yards?

8. Ura-Ki

I have never heard of slugs in a 3 in chamber let alone a 3 1/2!
    2 3/4 slugs is all your going to find. I am sure some one has made 3 in slug ammo at some point, but it would be very expensive and hard to find!

9. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

All I know is my Ithaca Mag-10 knocks the blue grouse right outta the 150' trees when they think they are safe way up there! :)

10. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Can't imagine the recoil one would feel...

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. Ura-Ki

3" with a 2 oz slug, probably going to hurt pretty good!

Dyjital likes this.
  12. d2the3

d2the3 Eugene, Oregon Well-Known Member

Bimart sells 3 inch slugs right next to the 2 3/4

* not a pleasure to shoot

13. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

i shot a SXS 10g 3 1/2" mag with 2 triggers. pulled both triggers at once. hefty recoil man. about the same as a 375 H&H

14. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

Not one single major ammo maker sells a 3 1/2 Slug load.

15. leadischeap

leadischeap VA Member

3" slugs are pretty common. Guys here who hunt buckshot only counties like the fact that a 3 1/2" buckshot load carries twice the pellet count of a 2 3/4" shell. Lots of running shots hunting deer with dogs.

More expensive but if you only get out once or twice it might mean getting a deer that you might have missed.

I use a 3 1/2" gun for everything from Turkey shoots to dove to turkeys and deer. It will cycle a 1oz 3 dram load of 2 3/4" up to the heavy stuff. Lots of versatility and with an alloy receiver it is lighter than an 1100 2 3/4" gun of the same barrel length. :s0067:

16. watermerc

watermerc Eugene, OR Member

Three inch slugs are quite common. You can buy them at Cabelas or anywhere else.
    Remington Slugger Ammo 12 Ga 3 1oz Rifled Slug Box of 5

mjbskwim likes this.
  17. CountryGent

CountryGent Southern Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't know about the 12, but Federal does make 10-gauge (3½") slug loads (1¾ ounce).

QVdcKHA.png

I still have an Ithaca Mag-10 self-loader, though I don't shoot it much these days, as I don't have time for hunting. It does indeed pack a wallop.

18. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

3'' inch to 3-1/2''

T-SHIRT! :D

19. Dungannon

Dungannon Vancouver, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

If you want a DIY 3½" slug, check out Iraqveteran8888's youtube videos on cut shells.

20. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Just be careful shooting cut shells. Full choke shotguns are a bore size of .690, so it squeezes it down from .725. Thinner bbl shotguns sometimes dont take it to well. But thats only some of the featherweight shotguns.