JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah ... the best dehydrator is: Amazon.com: Excalibur 9 Tray Dehydrator - ED 2900 Dehydrater - Jerky Maker Food Dehydrator Excaliber: Kitchen & Dining
Best Canner is: Amazon.com: All American 921 All-American 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner: Kitchen & Dining

I was watching for good Sirloin Steak to get below $2.49 ... when it did I bought over 30#'s and marinated it with massive amounts of garlic and other goodies from the garden and made a pile of super dry jerky
and vacuum packed and froze it.

If a SHTF scenario doesn't happen by next spring then be sure to buy extra seed packets at Walmart.
Early in season they have certain seed packets at 20 cents each.
For a measly $10 you can have several years worth of garden seeds (Tho mostly Hybrid)

I always rotate my seeds and use ones that are a year or two old first.
So I keep stocks of a full garden of seeds in saved packs. (Not to mention Poppy and Cigar Tobacco seeds)

These all have great value for food but also barter ... I look at it as an investment. This year I used the 10 cent Walmart seeds up that I got the last 2 years.
Replaced them with fresher and price increased 20 cent packets.

I Use them ... and we save probably $300 per year after water and time costs. I suspect our health is dramatically improved as well.

If a SHTF scenario doesn't happen by next spring then be sure to buy extra seed packets at Walmart.
Early in season they have certain seed packets at 20 cents each.
For a measly $10 you can have several years worth of garden seeds (Tho mostly Hybrid)

I always rotate my seeds and use ones that are a year or two old first.
So I keep stocks of a full garden of seeds in saved packs. (Not to mention Poppy and Cigar Tobacco seeds)

These all have great value for food but also barter ... I look at it as an investment. This year I used the 10 cent Walmart seeds up that I got the last 2 years.
Replaced them with fresher and price increased 20 cent packets.

I Use them ... and we save probably $300 per year after water and time costs. I suspect our health is dramatically improved as well.

Costco - Food For Health

Gentle nudge ... there have to be some other great ideas ... plans and preparation stuff ...

Heck ... even simple ones like keeping an extra P-38 can opener under the lids of #10 food cans.
Or buying a cheapo water pump from Harbor Freight and putting the proper hose fittings on it to draw water up from a stream to a container in your truck.
Or buying the PETT toilet system for human waste issues and using it as a shower.

Or ... keep em coming ... because it matters.

Know what kills you besides the BG, simple things kill and you haven't thought of them.

When your feet is all you have left to travel with then it's time you got back to useing your head.

Everything runs out so where will you get more?

Pace yourself rome wasn't built in a day.

Trip of a thousand miles, starts with the first foot steps.

The more weight you carry, the more energy it takes, = the more you have to carry to replenish the calories burned.

1. Keep the things people will want in a SHTF scenario: soap, toilet paper, alcohol, rubber gloves, trash bags, paper towels, .22lr ammo, they will all become a currency in and off themselves.
2. I've been learning to can for the past few years. This year while canning tuna, we decided to add different flavorings, believe it or not, the Sharpie permanent marker stayed on through the whole canning process.
3. Keep notes. I've never kept notes, I'm learning now. That way, even though I know how to smoke fish and make Canadian Bacon, I do it a bit different each time. Notes help me keep up to speed on what we've done and how we want to tweak it next time. This applies to canning as well. I learned, I never want to can anything but Elberta peaches ever again. I also know how many pounds/jar and how many jars to a 25lb. box., as well as how much sugar we use in our syrup.

1. Candles produce light, heat and if your patient you can even cook or boil water with a couple of them used the same time etc...

2. A bandana can used as a bandana, wash rag, dish towel, strainer, a Bonnet to keep the ears warm and chill off your head, fire starting, a signal or sign to a friend etc...

3. Rubbing alcohol can be used to cleaning wounds, sanitizing / eating cooking untensils or first aid items, to cook or heat with, put in fuel to absorb water, glass cleaner, etc...

That tobacco one is brilliant. I've thought of the alcohol but tobacco will trade great

The only problem with tobacco is that it goes stale eventually. Depending how it's stored of course. My pipe tobacco in good for a couple years if it is bought in a seled tin. Cartons of smokes I don't think will stand a chance long term.

I smoke a Cigar or 3 a year. So I bought about 800 cigars of various brands ... all very very good quality at an amazing price.
I keep them in a drawer and my humidor. The Drawer is Cedar and has a humidifier.

I also have quality Cuban Tobacco seed as well. Likely I will never smoke 1/10 those cigars. But I paid 1/10 current market for them.
I expect them to go up 100 times in value of what I paid in barter and bribe value.

Obviously cigar tobacco can be used as cigarettes too
If the fall is nigh at hand,using your credit cards wont matter.Who's going to collect on them?
But if you do use them,use them on very important things.No collateral type loans though
Shoes will be a big trading item.As JJ kind of related to. Hey if you can't get gas, you will be walking.
Maybe some transportation items? Luggage carriers,game carriers,some backpacks and the like will make life easier for some

Staying warm in a vehicle, or small enclosed area.

1. Stay Warm This Winter With Canned Heat | The Survival Mom

2. Metal Coffee can and candle ( I use a 6 hr small votive candle) lighter, crack a open slightly for oxygen and place empty coffee can on flat surface, insert candle and flat side down and light, candle will heat metal can and help keep temp. in a vehicle above freezing, a large vehicle may require two candles and a can at time. Also candle in metal can will keep from catching the vehicle fire. You can place several candles, a couple lighters, power or energy bars, emergency blanket.

3. Ah Blanky, I bought a few large movers blankets at harbour freight 72" x 80" Camouflage Utility Blanket I keep a blanket in my truck year round.

Not rubbing alcohol please. It contains baby oil to replace skin oils removed by the alcohol. That's why it's called "rubbing" but you don't want it in a wound. Please get denatured alcohol from the druggist or what the heck, Everclear. You can't drink denatured, LOL.

Also, hydrogen peroxide is cheap and works very well on surface scrapes and wounds. It will damage skin in a deep wound and slow healing.

1. Oil for vehicles, lawn, garden, generators figure what you equipment uses and put a little extra, along with other incidental parts, filters, belts and such

2. Alternate energy, heating and cooking sources, figure what your individual needs are and what is feasible short and long term, make a plan to acquire it and start towards it.

3. When you go shopping make mental as what store or shops have what, when SHTF and everyone else is hoarding, be there with them, it will extend the life of what you have on the shelf.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top