JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to upgrade from a pump to semi auto shotgun to start 3 gun shooting. I have narrowed my search down to Mossberg 930 JM Pro, Stoeger m3000, and Stoeger m3k. I am not in a position to spend $1k plus for a serious competition gun. I have heard the inertia system on the Stoeger is very good, but a little more felt recoil. I have read some issues with ammo sensitivity and having to run hotter loads.

I have heard issued with the JM Pro, but it appears most are caused by carbon and dirty gas piston. I know there are aftermarket parts to make the Mossberg more reliable.

Just want to get some feedback from people who have shot one or all of them.

M930, I have two of them and they kick donkey! :s0155:

CD269F9B-459A-45A8-9FFA-A45DE0D12383.jpeg 6BC1C719-9DC5-4490-BE39-2E87AEFE9249.jpeg

My buddy who is normally top 3 if not winning most of his 3 gun matches got a JM Pro when he started getting serious. He has since switched to a Benelli M2 which he says is a much better platform.
His teammate just bought a RIA VR-80 (<$650) and switched to Open Class. Sounds like it's showing promise, but being a "new to market" gun, has its teething issues while people are figuring it out.

Remington 1100/11-87, hands down the most produced, reliable shotgun out there. Use factory extension and furniture, not the aftermarket junk offered. False economy.

IMHO Anyone who buys a "starter" anything is a sucker. Gun counter b.s. ,they want the opportunity to sell you a crappy gun first so you will blow a bundle later.

Remington 1100/11-87, hands down the most produced, reliable shotgun out there. Use factory extension and furniture, not the aftermarket junk offered. False economy.

IMHO Anyone who buys a "starter" anything is a sucker. Gun counter b.s. ,they want the opportunity to sell you a crappy gun first so you will blow a bundle later.

It may vary well be the most produced (I don't know) but it is NOT the most reliable. Years ago I looked at moving from my pumps, got an 1187P, complete turd.

Turns out the subject came up yesterday at a shotgun @Cerberus Group class. Steve brought one out, after I mentioned it and true to form it choke on a regular basis.

OP, if you're looking for a solid semi-auto gauge checkout the Mossberg 930 and Beretta 1301, between the two of them they are ending Benelli's reign.

I don't anything about the Stoeger other than Stoeger puts out a decent over-under double barrel.

I've ran about every shotgun platform out there in my 27 year LE career.

Breaching doors, first one through the door in a raid, even some competition.

I started my career in 1987 with a Benelli, breaching doors and had 870s, 1200s, 1100s, 500s, 590s, and ended up with a Beretta 1301 at the end.

The 1100s are clunky running compared to a 1301 or 930...they don't do well with low velocity and rounds, I don't care for the bolt release being on the shell follower.

Now, it's a Mossberg 930. Add a Marine gas spacer tube from OR3GUN, and SS piston from SBE Precision, along with some polishing and you'll end up with a "Street Howitzer " (had to throw that in @titsonritz) that will run low velocity, breaching, and flash bang style rounds without a problem...and there's very few semi-autos that will do that. It ran all the above rounds out of the box, stock with no modifications.

After this weekends shotgun class...it has over 1,000 rounds...yet to hiccup.

Bottom line, try some out and see what's best for you.

20190714_165344.jpg
IMG_20190714_170610.jpg

Last Edited:
Did you call remington? Send it in under warranty? Ftf & fte are addressable easy to fix problems.
Not excusing them, but mass production and quality control both are likely culprits. Never had many problems with 1100's, eight rounds out in two of three seconds. Sadly my old shoulder cannot do it anymore. More than anything the steel receiver does it for me. I come from a shotgun culture where pros put a few hundred rounds through their guns every day, five days a week (conservative estimate, some do 100,000 rounds a year). Trap and skeet guys are nuts! Alloy guns are just not favored, mostly for balance and longevity.
Short barreled 1100's have always had issues with gas pressure and the length of time the barrel contains that pressure, doesn't do well with light loads. Also given the speed of production, many chambers are cut rough, causing extraction problems. There are a couple more known issues, but I'm not giving up all my secrets.

The 930 is a "fine" shotgun ( I just threw up a little bit ) . After all it is from the premier maker of quality firearms. ( a little more vomit! ).

The Beretta is a good quality recoil operated shotgun. Been around for quite some time. Doesn't do well with light loads either.

with all due respect, using and being around firearms daily doesn't, in my estimation, make anyone an expert, only familiar.

try diagnosing and properly repairing firearms for years without just throwing b.s. aftermarket parts at the problem, then we can talk.

Last Edited:
My new Beretta 1301 Comp 21" worked great this AM attacking the grey diggers around the barn.
I have found a new shotgun game!
Still figureing out the bolt release/mag dump,may need the Ardimus bolt release guard.
Middle bead onto front optic was deadly accurate out to 40+yrds.
Wife wants them gone; What a game, don't tell pi ta.
Soft shooter.

Did you call remington? Send it in under warranty? Ftf & fte are addressable easy to fix problems.
Not excusing them, but mass production and quality control both are likely culprits. Never had many problems with 1100's, eight rounds out in two of three seconds. Sadly my old shoulder cannot do it anymore. More than anything the steel receiver does it for me. I come from a shotgun culture where pros put a few hundred rounds through their guns every day, five days a week (conservative estimate, some do 100,000 rounds a year). Trap and skeet guys are nuts! Alloy guns are just not favored, mostly for balance and longevity.
Short barreled 1100's have always had issues with gas pressure and the length of time the barrel contains that pressure, doesn't do well with light loads. Also given the speed of production, many chambers are cut rough, causing extraction problems. There are a couple more known issues, but I'm not giving up all my secrets.

The 930 is a "fine" shotgun ( I just threw up a little bit ) . After all it is from the premier maker of quality firearms. ( a little more vomit! ).

The Beretta is a good quality recoil operated shotgun. Been around for quite some time. Doesn't do well with light loads either.

with all due respect, using and being around firearms daily doesn't, in my estimation, make anyone an expert, only familiar.

try diagnosing and properly repairing firearms for years without just throwing b.s. aftermarket parts at the problem, then we can talk.

First off, have been through every Remington armorer class they have ever offered, some 2-3 times...so no secrets to be held.

Second, I'm not here to spew my bodily fluids over someone's choice of a shotgun.

I make my choice based on life and death...will it run with breaching rounds? Flash-bang rounds? The answer is no, the 1100 will not. Some Benelli's will not as well. A lot of semi-auto's will not cycle flash-bang rounds, as there's really nothing to shove down the barrel, unlike the weight of 00 or 4 Buck, or breaching rounds. None will cycle a bean-bag round.

I realize we are talking about a gaming shotgun...but if it will cycle the above, it will cycle anything a gamer will load it with. The 1100 will most likely work fine for a gaming shotgun.

Also, 1301's are gas operated...not recoil...and yes they will run breaching rounds. I know a lot of SWAT guys around the state that have dumped their Benelli's for either a 1301 or a 930. I don't recall any LE agency using a 1100 for an entry tool. But I would guess there are probably some that do use them.

I could care less what make/model a person chooses to use, even if its made by Aunt Ethel...I am not brand loyal. As long as it will run anything its loaded with, I highly recommend one uses that.

I have a Mossberg 930 field that I've used and abused over the last few years. I've gone hundreds of rounds between cleanings and I've got probably 20-22k shells fired through it by now. The only stoppages I've had were when it was brand new. I also recently picked up the Stoeger M3500 and it's got about 200-250 shells through it.
Right off the bat; the 930 is a much softer shooting gun. I don't know the weights off the top of my head but I believe the 3500 is lighter. I used the stock shims that came with the 930 and it fits me perfectly.
I haven't changed anything on the m3500 but it's close enough of a fit out of the box to make snap shots on clays accurately. That is neither here nor there, because fit is personal preference. However, both shotguns came with stock shims. Both are field models, not tactical or competition models, so it may be different for you.
The 930 cycles everything I put through it whether it's dirty or freshly cleaned. The 3500 is still breaking in, but cycles everything 3 dram or 1-1/8oz or heavier. Lighter shells cycle slowly enough that the movement of the bolt becomes noticeable as it cycles. Keep in mind, this is a 3500 with a 3.5" chamber, so the m3000 might just cycle fine with the lighter shells. There is also mods you can do to force your gun to cycle the lighter loads, like adding weight to the carrier or weaker action springs. I believe MOA precision sells those, along with other parts.
For breakdown, both are simple guns. The 3500 is much simpler and quicker to take apart and put back together. Neither have many moving parts, but the 3500 has fewer moving parts.
Like I said, I don't have many shells through the Stoeger, but it feels like a quality piece. It's trim and light and shoulders well. The Mossberg feels a little heavier and maybe a hair more clunky, but it feels like an old familiar friend every time you shoulder it. These are just my observations on these two shotguns.

Life and death, I run a Pump! Went through several semi autos and all failed at some point, they just don't hold up as well in the dirt and mud and guts or combat!
Not sayin there is anything bad for 3 gun or other civilian needs, I run a Winchester SX-3 and a very well tuned Remmy 1187 Super, and both will run day in and day out with out issue! One thing I have found that makes the Remmy my go to is it will run when iced up solid, and of all the guys I hunt with in the nasty conditions who run semi autos, only the Remmy run in those conditions!
My every day work horse is an Old Winny 1897 and it has been flawless the whole time!

I have an SLP as my HD shotgun but I do own a couple of Mossberg pump shotguns as well. I finally upgraded the SLP sling from a cheap one to a Blue Force Gear unpadded Vickers two point sling.

F3FCE587-B931-4523-8114-7427C8D546A9.jpeg

I am looking to upgrade from a pump to semi auto shotgun to start 3 gun shooting. I have narrowed my search down to Mossberg 930 JM Pro, Stoeger m3000, and Stoeger m3k. I am not in a position to spend $1k plus for a serious competition gun. I have heard the inertia system on the Stoeger is very good, but a little more felt recoil. I have read some issues with ammo sensitivity and having to run hotter loads.

I have heard issued with the JM Pro, but it appears most are caused by carbon and dirty gas piston. I know there are aftermarket parts to make the Mossberg more reliable.

Just want to get some feedback from people who have shot one or all of them.
What did you end up going with?

I ended up buying the Stoeger M3K. So far it's been a great shotgun. I have shot only 1 match so far with it. I read as many reviews as I could and talked to others who have shot both in matches. After shouldering both at the gun shop and shooting the Mossberg, the Stoeger just felt slightly better to me. It's a bit lighter feeling, and for me it comes up on target in my natural shooting position.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top