JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had to work today until 2pm. Went home and cleaned out the back of the Ranger, took the cap off the back, loaded up my grandsons new 200CC mini bike and the old Winchester 62 and headed yo to our favoite spot. The double pit up in Darrington.
I took a little fire starter kit, kindlinf, charcoal ligjter fluid and a long BBQ starter lighter.

We picked up some shotgun hulls, unloaded his mini-bike, got a fire going and he got to ride his new mini bike for awhile. I kept on picking up shotgun hulls and kept putting trash on the fire.

He had a hell of a good time between riding and plinking off some 22 long rifle ammo at stuff left by others.
We got there arount 5 O'Clock and left close to 8 O'Clock. It was dark by the time we got back to Arlington.
He had some supper & went to bed.
I got a fire going in our fire pit, trimmed our rose bushes and started to down some amber fluid.

If the weather permits we will go to the zoo in the morning and back up to the pit in the afternoon.
We'll see how it goes tomorrow.
20210327_163618.jpg 20210327_174434.jpg 20210327_192520.jpg 20210327_193801.jpg

20210327_163612.jpg

I have a little time off work and have been doing stuff around the house.
Today Mason wanted to go up in the mountains. So I took the cap off the back of the Ranger pickup & loaded his mini-bike up at 5:45 and went to the Darrington Pit. He road until just before dark and I picked up steel rifle & pistol cases.
Mason just rode his mini bike for a couple of hours. Didn't ever take a 22 to shoot.
I didn't unload his mini-bike when we got back home it was dark and if the rain stops after we have easter dinner I will take him back up to Darrington Pit and let him.ride while I pick up some more garbage.

20210403_184122.jpg 20210403_194224.jpg 20210403_194929.jpg

It was really dark when we got out of the woods and on to 530 by the shell station.
20210403_201414.jpg

Yesterday a member on this forum came over at 10am to check out reloading pistol calibers, 357 Sig and 40 Caliber. We set up dies, resized, primed, added powder and seated bullets then ran up to the Darrington pit to try the ammo we reloaded out.
The 357 Sig would not cycle in his pistol, we will have to work on that. The 40 caliber cycled fine.
While they were shooting I picked up two buckets of steel cases, nails, wire and other steel objects.
Each bucket held about three gallons apiece, after three gallons of steel in the buckets they get a little heavy to carfy comfotabilly.
I should of took pictures, i can take a picture of the buckets of the steel pickups tomorrow before I take it to the recycle yard.

It wasn't to late when we headed back home.

20210406_192304.jpg

I will be putting another pit clean up together on a Saturday in May. Who can I contact to have the pit shut down for the clean up? Last year was a big success, a whole load of garbage picked up hauled out.
I have been up there four times this year and have hauled out several buckets of spent shotgun hulls and steel rifle & pistol cases.

When this takes place i will take my full size Ford 4X4 with side boards to haul the trash.
There is a burned out camping trailer, most of the metal is gone, there will be several big black garbage bags of stuff that did not burn from it. A couple of rakes & flat shovels will clean most of it up.
There is some left over wood there from shooting back stops that can be burned along with the paper targets and other conbustable stuff.
I will have the magnets and plastic buckets for spent shotgun hulls and for the steel rifle & pistol cases, nail, screws & other bits & pieces of steel.
This pit doesn't look that bad and shouldn't take long to do a good clean up.

Like last time I will have Coke, Sprite & Water durring the clean up and a few Buds for when it is done.

Thank every one who helped out last year.
If it works out I'd like to do this May 8th at 9 am
Will have to get it set and get a definate date & time.

I would just contact the owners of the pit. Bureau of Land Management down here is extremely helpful for this type of activities. Their officers come and help and last time even participated in the after party plus gave the kids stickers. The FS should have the same response.
Thanks
Craig

I took Mason back up to the pit yesterday afternoon. We got there at 5:30 and left at 8:30. There was a young couple shooting in the lower pit so we got to use the upper pit. We took the AK47 and the Ruger 77/22lr for Mason to shoot and took his mini bike for him to ride. My little ranger pick up bit the big one last week so I am driving my F250 4x4 pickup with a 460 auto tranny. About 8 miles a gallon.
I picked up a little bit of brass and about eight gallons of steel rifle & pistol.cases.
I picked up a cargo carrier that slides into the 2 inch reciever to haul Masons mini bike on instead of loading it in the back of the truck.
It is missing the 2 inch piece of square tubing so I will have to pick some up.

It was dark when we got back out on to 530 at the Shell Station.
I'm going to pick.up some more buckets and load them full of gravel from the pit and start filling in some of the pot holes on the way out.

The mountain on the way in.
20210417_180052.jpg

My F250 pickup
20210417_190311.jpg

A picture on Mason on the mini bike.
20210417_190318.jpg

The buckets of steel rifle & pistol cases.
20210417_202050.jpg

The mountain on the way out
20210417_205002.jpg

When we got back home we unloaded Masons mini bike and got a fire going in the fire pit and I had few budweisers.
20210417_214656.jpg

Mason can't wait to go back up there next weekend.

I would just contact the owners of the pit. Bureau of Land Management down here is extremely helpful for this type of activities. Their officers come and help and last time even participated in the after party plus gave the kids stickers. The FS should have the same response.
Thanks
Craig

I got the number to call about doing the clean up at the Darrington pit.

just a reminder to wear leather gloves, last time out shooting I was picking up other people garbage off the range and found a used hypodermic needle in the ditch at the pullout. recently found this site and am looking forward to years of conversation with likeminded people!

I took Mason back up to the pit yesterday afternoon. We got there at 5:30 and left at 8:30. There was a young couple shooting in the lower pit so we got to use the upper pit. We took the AK47 and the Ruger 77/22lr for Mason to shoot and took his mini bike for him to ride. My little ranger pick up bit the big one last week so I am driving my F250 4x4 pickup with a 460 auto tranny. About 8 miles a gallon.
I picked up a little bit of brass and about eight gallons of steel rifle & pistol.cases.
I picked up a cargo carrier that slides into the 2 inch reciever to haul Masons mini bike on instead of loading it in the back of the truck.
It is missing the 2 inch piece of square tubing so I will have to pick some up.

It was dark when we got back out on to 530 at the Shell Station.
I'm going to pick.up some more buckets and load them full of gravel from the pit and start filling in some of the pot holes on the way out.

The mountain on the way in.
View attachment 865227

My F250 pickup
View attachment 865228

A picture on Mason on the mini bike.
View attachment 865229

The buckets of steel rifle & pistol cases.
View attachment 865230

The mountain on the way out
View attachment 865231

When we got back home we unloaded Masons mini bike and got a fire going in the fire pit and I had few budweisers.
View attachment 865232

Mason can't wait to go back up there next weekend.

These outing you've posted over the last couple of years a pretty damned cool. Watching that kid grow on that bike has been fun! :s0155:

It been fun raiseing him, we are raising him and his two sisters. It has been fun having the grandkids.
I started him out shooting at four years old, he will be ten come June 20th.
He can out shoot most adults. I have a stainless 44 magnum Ruger Blackhawk with a ten inch barrel he loves to shoot. He can hit soda cans full of water with it.
I will be picking up some more 7.62x39 ammo Tuesday or Wed for the AK anf the SKS.

Geeze if you go to Salmonberry pits or wolf creek you could get 3 in a day easy. I know I get way too much brass from the ground I go there with a tarp for my stuff then pick up stuff for a bit when I am done

Geeze if you go to Salmonberry pits or wolf creek you could get 3 in a day easy. I know I get way too much brass from the ground I go there with a tarp for my stuff then pick up stuff for a bit when I am done
Came out of there withs small TV/monitor, cardboard boxes, a couple blown wiper fluid jugs and an orange box full of shotgun hulls last time I was up there... had to leave the pallet and some boxes full of styrofoam... I really need a truck!

PS take some pictures next time and get your reward!

Came out of there withs small TV/monitor, cardboard boxes, a couple blown wiper fluid jugs and an orange box full of shotgun hulls last time I was up there... had to leave the pallet and some boxes full of styrofoam... I really need a truck!
Yeah If I had a pick up truck I would grab large stuff but I don't Maybe i need to just get anther tarp for small crap. Way too many TV and computer monitors for sure

We went to the Darrington pit yesterday at 3;30 and left at 8:15. As usual my grandson split the time up.rideing his mini.bike and shooting.
I picked up two buckets of steel rifle & pistol cases and a bunch of other larger pieses of steel and took.it to Skagit Recycling yard. I had a old hot water tank, refrigerator and a couple of old grills that I took as well.
20210503_071315.jpg

I took a round point shover anf filled some buckets up to fill.in some pot holes on the way out. I filled two up then went back and refilled them to fill in two more pot holes. Only a thousand more pot holes to go.
20210502_193713.jpg 20210502_192025.jpg

I will put together another clean up for the pit and post it if any one wants to help out.
It will nit take to long this is the worst spot. A good rake, scope shovel and good trash bags it won't be that bad.
20210502_182116.jpg

This is just before we left our house to head up there. The sun was in his eyes.
20210502_160139.jpg

I started another thread "shooting at the Darrington pit.

We went to the pit again today, got there at 9am and stayed until 4:30. We piced up some more shotgun hulls and a bucket of steel rifle & pistol cases.
I'll write up our day on the Shooting at the Darrington Pit thread I started.
20210508_140257.jpg 20210508_140319.jpg

Last Edited:
We went to the Darington pit Saturday morning from 8:30 until.around 3pm. We picked up four - 5 gallon buckets of shotgun hulls.

20210522_120007.jpg

It never ends, there will be more next weekend. .

We will be having a pit clean up on June 5th to get the 435th Ave pit totally cleaned up and a couple of spots on the way to the pit cleaned up as well.
After we got done at the 435th pit we went to the small pit on the Suiatlle River Road and what a disaster. There litterly is a ton or more of garbage at that pit.

I started a thread on cleaning up the 435th Pit. We will have enough guys and trucks to get the 435th pit tottally vleaned up and we can get the small pit on the Suiatyle River Road clesned.

It's been a while since I have posted on this thread. We have been getting out to the pits and spending time together.
This past Sunday we went to the 435th Ave pit around noon and stayed until around 4pm.
We had the lower pit to ourselves, three different groups used the upper pit while we're there and a forth set of guys just pulled in the upper pit and was just getting set up when we took off.
The last three times this spring we got to use the lower pit and finely got all of the shotgun hulls picked up that still had the steel connected to them. And we put a small dent in to the steel rifle and pistol cases.
We did pick up about a gallon of decent brass.

I've been buying range brass as well and have been getting it all wet tumbled to resell it.

20220327_151528.jpg

20220327_151541.jpg

20220327_152006.jpg

Every trip there is always more trash to pick up.
20220327_154517.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top