JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are right though, dumping here costs a fortune, and it's horribly complicated if you ever try and read any of WM's information, they really are doing it to themselves by charging so much, i've got stuff at my house i'm trying to find ways to get rid of.

I just got back from checking to see if there are any illegal shooters at my pit, I placed a sign on the trail that the area was closed due to fire danger but the azzhats are still going in & bringing in trash to shoot.:mad::mad::mad:

Hi 147gr. Unfortunately it is getting that way in a lot of places. Dumping fees are very high and they can get picky making it a serious pain. Contact your local Sheriff's office and make sure they are aware of it. In a lot of cases you can pick it up and then call the land owner if BLM or USFS and they will pick it up if you choose. Or organize a clean up.
Get involved with Trash No Land. We mainly do shooting areas that have been trashed but a lot of good contacts and idea's. Not sure where the area you are talking about is but @Cogs or @Reno911 are more conected in the Northern part of Oregon. I'm down South in Albany. Get some trash bags and join the good fight.

Thanks for posting about it, @147gr . I'm not sure where this is, but obviously not cool. Yep, definitely needs some cameras. As our non-profit, Trash No Land, grows, we would like to place cameras at various locations to catch these guys. If it gets cleaned up and more comes back, then it's obvious that it's a popular place to dump and we should be able to catch them (I suspect it's a place that's not too far in from the forest boundaries).

Dumping is certainly a problem and those people should be busted, but, my big concern is what the shooting sites look like. If the trash has bullet holes in them, we all look bad. That's why we should try to keep all dispersed shooting places in good condition. We gotta cover our back sides or else we all get shut down.

Wish we could change the charges at landfill locations!

Bill

Sometimes you get lucky and the low life's stupidity throws us a bone by leaving something with their address on it.

Hello fellow enthusiasts! Thank you for providing a great impetus to do a little cleaning. I have been target shooting for 25 years and come from a distinctly anti-gun family, but luckily my father was enough of a child of the 1950's and an Eagle Scout that he saw no harm in teaching me how to handle his 1950's vintage single shot Stevens .22 when I was 12 years old, he also took me to the Oregon Hunter Safety Course when I was 13 so I could learn Firearm Safety from some really great professionals. Those classes served me well and I have been able to share my love of target shooting and safe Firearms handling with a variety of friends.

I usually go to good old Browns Camp, which has drawbacks, but I almost always enjoy the experience. Normally I would pickup my own trash and any large items that were on the firing line. This last saturday I didn't have much ammo to fire so I spent probably 2-3hours picking up brass and cleaning up the firing line. I got a smile and nod from a few people, but most people seemed confused as to why I would be rummaging in the mud to pickup shotgun shells and small pieces of garbage. A sad thing it seems, but also good cause to spend a lot more time cleaning! It only takes that one person to see my efforts who then feels compelled to pitch in with cleaning up our shooting areas. This will make any of my own efforts ten times their initial investment. Happy shooting!

IMG_1117.JPG IMG_1120.JPG IMG_1123.JPG IMG_1125.JPG IMG_1126.JPG IMG_1118.JPG

Last Edited:
Thank you for your efforts! It is a battle to keep up with the amount of trash left. We have been seeing more and more people cleaning up shooting sites but there is a looonnggg way to go. Keep up the good fight and enjoy
Thanks

Hello fellow enthusiasts! Thank you for providing a great impetus to do a little cleaning. I have been target shooting for 25 years and come from a distinctly anti-gun family, but luckily my father was enough of a child of the 1950's and an Eagle Scout that he saw no harm in teaching me how to handle his 1950's vintage single shot Stevens .22 when I was 12 years old, he also took me to the Oregon Hunter Safety Course when I was 13 so I could learn Firearm Safety from some really great professionals. Those classes served me well and I have been able to share my love of target shooting and safe Firearms handling with a variety of friends.

I usually go to good old Browns Camp, which has drawbacks, but I almost always enjoy the experience. Normally I would pickup my own trash and any large items that were on the firing line. This last saturday I didn't have much ammo to fire so I spent probably 2-3hours picking up brass and cleaning up the firing line. I got a smile and nod from a few people, but most people seemed confused as to why I would be rummaging in the mud to pickup shotgun shells and small pieces of garbage. A sad thing it seems, but also good cause to spend a lot more time cleaning! It only takes that one person to see my efforts who then feels compelled to pitch in with cleaning up our shooting areas. This will make any of my own efforts ten times their initial investment. Happy shooting! View attachment 526434 View attachment 526436 View attachment 526437 View attachment 526438 View attachment 526439 View attachment 526435

Great job, thank you! I'm sure @Joe Link will follow up with you soon.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone, glad to be part of such a supportive community! Here are some pictures of the brass and random rounds I managed to pickup.

Picked up a fair amount of 10MM cases, which I found fairly surprising. 9MM seems to be quite popular, .40cal is another popular choice, .45 making a solid showing, with .380 making a very small showing. For rifle cartridges, .300 blackout is definitely getting popular, an absolute monster load of .223 as usual, with a few .30-06 and .308 cases getting picked up.

I usually collect brass for friends when we shoot together, but I think I am going to start cleaning brass and reloading for my particular needs and then hopefully be able to give away clean brass to other folks who would want it.

IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1229.JPG

Thanks for all the great replies everyone, glad to be part of such a supportive community! Here are some pictures of the brass and random rounds I managed to pickup.

Picked up a fair amount of 10MM cases, which I found fairly surprising. 9MM seems to be quite popular, .40cal is another popular choice, .45 making a solid showing, with .380 making a very small showing. For rifle cartridges, .300 blackout is definitely getting popular, an absolute monster load of .223 as usual, with a few .30-06 and .308 cases getting picked up.

I usually collect brass for friends when we shoot together, but I think I am going to start cleaning brass and reloading for my particular needs and then hopefully be able to give away clean brass to other folks who would want it.

View attachment 527465 View attachment 527466

10mm and .300 BLK huh? Sheesh, I've got to figure people like that have a lot of money. Or they're just starting out and don't realize the resource they're leaving at the range. Or their not from this planet.

10mm and .300 BLK huh? Sheesh, I've got to figure people like that have a lot of money. Or they're just starting out and don't realize the resource they're leaving at the range. Or their not from this planet.
The way @Cosimel pistol launches 10mm cases, I'm not surprised there are some left to be discovered.

He keeps adding powder, you may start finding his brass in Vernonia from the NFWC lanes.

What does the 300 BO brass look like? I am getting to the point where reading the butt end of the brass requires a little higher magnification and light. I can go through my buckets.

What does the 300 BO brass look like? I am getting to the point where reading the butt end of the brass requires a little higher magnification and light. I can go through my buckets.

They make .300 BLK brass from .223/5.56 brass. You can also buy it. It looks like .223 until it gets to the shoulder, where it's been cut off and sized down to .30 caliber.

30v2.jpg

I usually go to good old Browns Camp, which has drawbacks, but I almost always enjoy the experience. Normally I would pickup my own trash and any large items that were on the firing line. This last saturday I didn't have much ammo to fire so I spent probably 2-3hours picking up brass and cleaning up the firing line. I got a smile and nod from a few people, but most people seemed confused as to why I would be rummaging in the mud to pickup shotgun shells and small pieces of garbage. A sad thing it seems, but also good cause to spend a lot more time cleaning! It only takes that one person to see my efforts who then feels compelled to pitch in with cleaning up our shooting areas. This will make any of my own efforts ten times their initial investment. Happy shooting!

View attachment 526434 View attachment 526436 View attachment 526437 View attachment 526438 View attachment 526439 View attachment 526435
Well If Joe isn't going to give you your bronze membership for that...I will! You deserve it! Thank you for your efforts! Keep up the good work! Enjoy your hard earned year of bronze membership that starts today!

I take my grandson shooting almost every weekend from spring until the snow comes and we can't make it back in to the woods to go shooting. Part of the weekly trips is picking up the old shotgun hulls, steel rifle & pistol cased, and brass cases and any aluminum cans left by other shooters.

The shotgun hulls go to the trsnsfer station garbage pit.
The steel rifle & pistol cases get dumped in the metal recycle container at the transfer station
The brass cased we keep, we seperate them by caliber, clean them up to reuse. The ones that are damaged go in to a bucket to take to a metal recyling yard. My grandson is getting 90 cents a pound fot them.
We save our aluminum soda & beer cans for my grandson to crush with a Harbor Freight can crusher and take them and any aluminum cans we find at the shooting pit.
He gets 25 cents a pound for the aluminum.
Any regular garbage i add it to.our house garbage and run it to the transfer station when we go get rid of our personal garbage.

Some times I will take a couple of feed bags of old cut up old cedar fencing to start a fire and burn some of the trash we pickup.

It would be nice to find a dumpster close to the pit to throw a few bags of yrash into every trip.
I think I will stop at a few businesses and ask about tossing some shooting pit garbage in their trash dumpsters.

Towards the end of the shooting season late last fall I about had all of the shotgun hulls and the steel rifle & pistol cased about picked up. I have a good jump on them now.

Last Sunday we picked up four buckes of shotgun hulls.
20190505_141049.jpg

We didn't get out the weekend before. But the week before that we picked up eight buckets of shotgun hulls, a bucket of brass, a white garbage bag of aluminum cans and a black gargage bag of plastic bottles.
20190420_183247.jpg
Another trip, a bucket of shotgun hulls, four bag of them and a 1/4 gallon can of brass.

20190330_175229.jpg

Another trip, four buckets of shotgun hulls.
20190122_120037.jpg
It never stopsn every shooting trip, more buckets of shotgun hulls. I try to skip over the steel rifle & pistol cases. Once the shotgun hulls are pretty well cleaned up I will pick up the steel cases to recycle them.
A three gallon bucket of the steel cased will average thirty pounds, same as a three gallon bucket of brass, thirty pounds.

I have two of the magnets with the straight handle shaped like a toilet plunger. You pull.the metal lever up on the handle and it moves the magnet up and the steel cased & shothun hulls fall off in to the buckets.

I reload so I load up a couple hundred handgun cartridged and a hundred or so rifle catridges every week for my grandson to shoot and I clean up the pit.
He becomes a better shot, i do my part to keep the pit open
It's a win/win situation.
It will probably be Sunday for shooting day this coming weekend.

Last Edited:
We got out late Sunday afternoon, we left the house at 5.30pm. It takes a little over halh an hour to get to the pit we shoot at.
I shot a litle with my grandson then picked up a little. I found three and a half pounds of brass and four buckets of shotgun hulls.
I never weighed the full buckets to see how much they weigh. Maybe I will before I toss them. I know if you dump them in the big black contractor bags they are heavy to pick up.

I only had three buckets, a five gallon and two three gallon buckets.
I dumped a five gallon bucket in to the old feed bag.
That $10 harbor freight magnet is the cats behind for picking these garbage shotgun hulls up.
Once I get the shotgun hulls under control I will start working on the steel rifle & pistol cases.
20190512_202939.jpg

Here is what these shotguns hulls look like spread on the ground

20190512_201405.jpg

Not much there for brass this trip. It would be nice to find more of it, but it is what it is.
Here is the 3 1/2 pounds thatvf we salvaged.

20190512_204739.jpg

There was close to two boxes (40 pieces)
Of 30/06 brass. You don't find much of that caliber. Mostly 223, 9mm, then 40cal, 45acp.
Then alittle of the other handgun calibers. 380, 38super, 38/357. Never any 44spl or 44 magnum.

Next weekend will be more shotgun hulls added to the mess already on the ground up there to pick up.
We don't even shoot shougun.
I have to stop by safeway to grab some
more buckets, i gave a friend a bunch of them so I am down to three of them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top