JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Today we went to the Darrington pit to shoot. We met a guy from the WAGUNS forum and he followed us up there. He stayed for close to four hours. We left Arlington at 8am. EPS and MEL got there around 11am to shoot. We shot a few blackpowder guns and then the rain started so we put them aeay and went back to the ARs and handguns.
Ed & Mel left around 5pm and we stayed until 6pm. We picked up close to twenty gallons of shotgun hulls and I picked up five gallons of steel rifle & handgun cases.

View attachment 697690

Two weeks ago we picked up twenty-seven gallons of shotgun hulls.
It never ends, next trip there will be more to pick up. The top pit is all cleaned up of shotgun hulls.
Two weeks ago I had the lower pit about cleaned up, today it looks like some one dumped a truck.load of shotgun hulls there.
Mason does all of the shooting and I pick up the shotgun hulls.
I need to pick up a progressive press, it is hard to keep up with him with the single stage press.

View attachment 697692
You have a good setup going there, @HighlandLofts . I took a close look and couldn't see one casing on the ground! The magnetic pickup tool is perfect for picking up shotgun hulls. What is the video device on the table? Do you have one of those Bullseye or Long Shot Target camera systems?

The spot that we are at is about 100 yards from our table to the end of the pit.
At the other end there is a lot of trash but we can only pick up and take out a little at a time.
@HighlandLofts is there every Saturday almost picking up stuff.
The wood and stuff like that we can burn.
But there is some stuff we are going to have to take a day and a few trucks to haul out. MVIMG_20200516_130939.jpg MVIMG_20200516_130930.jpg

The spot that we are at is about 100 yards from our table to the end of the pit.
At the other end there is a lot of trash but we can only pick up and take out a little at a time.
@HighlandLofts is there every Saturday almost picking up stuff.
The wood and stuff like that we can burn.
But there is some stuff we are going to have to take a day and a few trucks to haul out.View attachment 697705View attachment 697706
You guys are great! Love the set up and the extra effort you do. Thanks to all of you, (even the young man with a pistol that's bigger than him!).

I for got to ask @HighlandLofts .
But hopefully one of these days we can get the Sheriff's phone number.
Then we can make a date to go up and do a clean up .
And have the sheriff open the lower gate for us and be there to close down half the pit so we can clean it up.

So as you can see we take our steal targets .
And then take them home.
But UNFORTUNATELY.
NOT EVERYONE does that .
There is washing machine .
Lol exercise bikes.
A big propane tank.
And down on the road there is a small car that someone dumped.
It's getting worse in the last few months.

What in the heck can you DO with 27 gallons of shot shells? Geez, Louise.

In the eastern Olympics, (anywhere north and west of Shelton up on the many Forest Service roads leading off the 101) people don't leave their shotgun shells so much, or even their brass. It's weird. They pick most of that up...but leave tons of trash.

In the eastern Olympics, (anywhere north and west of Shelton up on the many Forest Service roads leading off the 101) people don't leave their shotgun shells so much, or even their brass. It's weird. They pick most of that up...but leave tons of trash.
Nothing you can do with the shotgun shells unless you get them and reload.
But @HighlandLofts .
Picks them up all day long with his magnet.
And he gave @Melmelhunter a magnet thing today so we can pick them up easily.

The sad thing is that there is lots of people that shoot at this spot.
And most of them clean up after themselves.
But there is obviously some that don't.

I have actually seen people cutting the plastic off of the shotgun hulls, especially the brass based ones. You guys do great work and it is great to see your grandson out there. Thank you for all your work cleaning up. It does make a difference I think.
Craig

That's a little different! Being that the Shelton area is relatively close to Olympia, Seattle and Tahuya State Forest, I find it hard to believe that there is not so much left-behind shot gun hulls and brass! That's high density population area and that's typically where we find the biggest problems! The shooting places nearest to the major metro areas are the most trashed locations.

The shotgun hulls get put in the heavy duty black trash bags and they go to the transfer station when we take our garbage there.

People are always having fires at the pit and burn pallets. So when I pick up the steel rifle & handgun cases I pick up the nails & screws in the fire pits up too.
I take these buckets of steel cases, nails, screws and anything else metal over to the trash transfer station and dump them in the metal recycle bin.

I love going to the pit with my grandson on the weekends. He gets to shoot all day and I get out to pick up trash.
I get to spend time in my gun room during the week to reload ammo for Mason to shoot up on the weekend. It's a win/win situation.

I need to pick up a good heavy duty pair of rubber gloves. There is some nasty garbage down by that junk red car.
I was told if we could skid the car out to the main road the state will haul it away. If the gate was open I have a F250 4x4 that would work to pull it out.
I don't know how legal that would be.

The shotgun hulls get put in the heavy duty black trash bags and they go to the transfer station when we take our garbage there.

People are always having fires at the pit and burn pallets. So when I pick up the steel rifle & handgun cases I pick up the nails & screws in the fire pits up too.
I take these buckets of steel cases, nails, screws and anything else metal over to the trash transfer station and dump them in the metal recycle bin.

I love going to the pit with my grandson on the weekends. He gets to shoot all day and I get out to pick up trash.
I get to spend time in my gun room during the week to reload ammo for Mason to shoot up on the weekend. It's a win/win situation.

I need to pick up a good heavy duty pair of rubber gloves. There is some nasty garbage down by that junk red car.
I was told if we could skid the car out to the main road the state will haul it away. If the gate was open I have a F250 4x4 that would work to pull it out.
I don't know how legal that would be.
Like I said we need to be able to contact the Sheriff about opening that gate for us.
If we can get him involved.
I can bring my truck and Mel can bring hers and we can haul some stuff out.

That's a little different! Being that the Shelton area is relatively close to Olympia, Seattle and Tahuya State Forest, I find it hard to believe that there is not so much left-behind shot gun hulls and brass! That's high density population area and that's typically where we find the biggest problems! The shooting places nearest to the major metro areas are the most trashed locations.
Well, you get a better class of shooters up there north on the 101. Once you get past Shelton, the biggest town is Hoodsport and then nothing much all the way to Sequim. Big area. Lots of access. The closest to Shelton is the Skokomish River Road entry at the George Adams Fish Hatchery. You have to drive ten miles just to reach the Forest Service road.

North of Skokomish, it's the left turn at Eagle Creek up to the Jefferson/Elk Lake area. Pretty far back if you go up there. North of THERE...it's the Hamma Hamma entry and that's where the rangers mostly hang out.

North of THAT...is the best one. The Duckabush River Road access. If you have the guts for it, you can get up to Trap Pass and see the most beautiful view you can drive to in the Olympics on the Hood Canal side. Went up all the way to the end in September 2018. (No way in winter, though) More than thirty water bars on the way up. Don't try it in a VW. But any decent truck or 4WD will make it. Some pictures below of where it dead ends, plus the Google Map reference is HERE. Has good backstop on the edge of a wilderness area. This is a place where you go for a few days or don't bother. Once you reach Trap Pass, you just keep going another mile until the road dead ends into a beautiful spot. Views are stunning, and hardly anyone ever visits there.

DuckabushFog1.jpg EndoftheRoad.jpg EveningViewSite.jpg LongShotTrapPass.jpg MountainsEast.jpg MustHaveFire.jpg TrapPassMap1.jpg

I went to my little Honey Hole Pit (my name for it, should call it the Brass Mine) today, hadn't been there in over a week due to illness but I generally bring out 1-2 bags out per month.

Some group, filled the barrel with 50+ pounds of steel cases. I believe I know who it was from a conversation I had about a month ago about picking up steel cases with a large HF magnet on wheels. Thanks Guys!!!!

I had to sift through all that mess since the bag broke spilling most of it on the ground...:eek::eek::eek: I took one bucket of steel cases to the car before the pic, the black plastic bag is just steel cases... and another bucket of brass...:D
I'll go back in the morning with the wagon and a shovel to get the rest off the ground and to carry it out.

85438939-4F09-4115-A024-B95F7FADB17B.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top