JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I took Mason up to the Darrington pit for six hours of shooting. I picked up two 5 gallon buckets and two 3 gallon buckets of shotgun hulls. I found a garbage bag behind my seat in the truck. Dumped the buckets in the bag and filled up another 5 gallon bucket and another 3 gallon bucket of shotgun hulls.

On the way in to the pit from the electric sub station by the river bridge some mellinal POS left a bunch of garbage in the fire pit by that junk red car.
Next trip up there I will take more garbage bags & clean that mess up.
I like camping there with my grandson. It's a shame we have pigs among us.
It is getting nice enough to start doing over nights in the woods with my grandson. Next weekend I have to work probably the weekend after we will do our first overnight up there.
There sure is a lot of downed trees for camp wood.

20200502_123841.jpg

20200502_133615.jpg

20200502_132116.jpg

I'm going to the Olympics this weekend. Yeah, the places I go they sometimes just leave the brass, the shotgun shells, the trash everywhere. If I do what's being asked, it will probably be a video though, with some stills inserted. Even without the Bronze, I think it's a great idea. Kudos to you.

I'm going to the Olympics this weekend. Yeah, the places I go they sometimes just leave the brass, the shotgun shells, the trash everywhere. If I do what's being asked, it will probably be a video though, with some stills inserted. Even without the Bronze, I think it's a great idea. Kudos to you.

Videos work too!

I finally remembered to take a pic of the rubbish. :D 3rd time I have done this but always forget the pic. 1 big black yardwork bag, I normal sized bag and a tarp full of wood, metal, etc scraps.

And just because I am proud. My 9 year old shot the AR22 like a pro today out where we cleaned up this rubbish. 20200504_172311.jpg

Last Edited:
I finally remembered to take a pic of the rubbish. :D 3rd time I have done this but always forget the pic. 1 big black yardwork bag, I normal sized bag and a tarp full of wood, metal, etc scraps.

View attachment 693023
And just because I am proud. My 9 year old shot the AR22 like a pro today out where we cleaned up this rubbish. View attachment 693105

Great job, enjoy your Bronze! :)

The absolute CRAZIEST thing I have ever seen dumped in the Olympics was near Spider Lake, which is about 25 miles NW of Shelton, WA. Pretty good drive into the Olympic National Forest to get there.

I couldn't figure out what it was at first...

Some group of people (it was WAY too heavy to be set up alone) had left behind a massive tarp. I don't know where they got this thing, but it had to be a hundred feet or more wide and was fairly thick. Like some crazy circus tarp or something. It had been partially buried by mud and rain and all I could manage was to free a couple of corners. It had to weigh a few hundred pounds. It had a big hole cut in the center, and you could tell they had a campfire under that spot. Really thick plastic. Some group had strung it up among trees in this big open spot, partied underneath it, and then cut it loose and left it there.

And get this...it happened to be Earth Day. So this US Forest Service ranger happens along and we start trying to wrench it from the ground, make some sense of it all. We get it partially free from the mud, but it is WAY too big to fit into a full size truck bed, even squished down. Just this mountain of plastic. We discussed trying to cut it into pieces and somehow get it out of there that way, but it would have taken a few trucks. He finally tells me..."Well, there's no around at the lake. I don't like doing it, but why don't we pile it up and burn it?"

We worked on this project from that morning until afternoon and made sure to stay away from the smoke, which was probably toxic. At the end of the day, we used shovels to bury the ashes. Some of it we managed to get into his plastic bags and into his truck. (Trust me, rangers carry heavy duty trash bags everywhere they go.)

It was so massive, we just didn't know what else to do with it. It would have cost a lot of money to go off-road more than twenty miles and bring in trucks, people, etc to get it out of there. So he authorized the lesser of two evils. We were both pretty pissed off, though. He said if he had caught the people who did it, they would have all gone to jail.

Camping up here about 25 miles NW of Shelton WA in the Olympic National Forest. Nice little spot with a decent backstop for reasonable shooting while camping nearby. These spots should NOT be trashed and yet somehow they often are. Cleaned up today, hope it holds up until next time I come here I thought the shoe and the vacuum were a bit much.

CAM00016.jpg CAM00015.jpg CAM00017.jpg CAM00018.jpg CAM00013.jpg

Thanks. I just got back home late this afternoon. I'm glad the pictures came out okay. I've never tried using my smart phone from the woods to make a post with pictures. Sort of old school. Until last year I still owned a flip phone LOL.

I did see one amazing thing though. On the way out, out to the George Adams Fish Hatchery on HIghway 101...that's where you run into the main road from this place...I have NEVER seen so many people headed out to the woods in that area. Not on the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, or any other day. It was like Grand Central Station on the FS 23 road coming in. One car after another. When I got on the 101 southbound for Shelton and Olympia, there is a steady parade of campers going north. One guy had a big truck and a 20-foot open cargo trailer crammed with enough camping gear and supplies to last a month. Looked like the car from the Beverly Hillbillies.

What i think is that after this lockdown, one nice weekend comes along, and the whole damn state just packs up and leaves the house. And the amazing thing was nobody was in a big hurry or driving crazy. I think everyone just wanted OUTSIDE. :)

I did test out my new 1851 Colt Navy in 36 caliber, the replica from Pietta. Anyone who says these things don't have some power is wrong. I shot it though a 2x6, went clear on through. Put a 2x4 in front of the 2x6 and tried again. Ball goes through the x4 and most of the way through the x6 as well. Then I set up one of those small green propane canisters. (Empty) Ball goes all the way through and blows out a hole on the back side you could put two fingers in. Okay...so it works. I loaded 18 grains of Triple Seven behind the balls. Rest of the time I used normal targets, but I didn't take too many shots. Only 30 total. Was there mostly for R and R. The reason it sounds condescending a bit in the pictures is because these pictures were done originally for some of my friends, and not for NW Firearms. I wouldn't have bothered captioning anything otherwise....everyone here knows what all the stuff is in the pictures.

Colt1851_A.jpg Colt1851_B.jpg

Last Edited:
I should get the blackpowder guns out. A few years ago I bought a 36 caliber BP revolver with the rifle stock, a 45 caliber flintlock rifle and a old time single shot pistol. Never shot them.

I also have a Traditions caplock rifle with a 26 caliber barrel and a 60 caliber barrel and a stainless 45 caliber Ruger Old Army revolver.

One of these days we will have to hook up with EPS and Mel and get them dirty.

What is Greene's? Shooting area? Sporting goods store? If you guys want to do black powder, you will have to check around for powder and supplies. All the Cabela's are still closed in Washington. And fishing season has arrived. Totally crazy. Oregon and Idaho have reopened their sporting goods stores, including their Cabelas. Sportsmans' Paradise in Longview is open though. But that's a loooong way from Burlington. Your best bet is the independent gun shops for anything right now.

What is Greene's? Shooting area? Sporting goods store? If you guys want to do black powder, you will have to check around for powder and supplies. All the Cabela's are still closed in Washington. And fishing season has arrived. Totally crazy. Oregon and Idaho have reopened their sporting goods stores, including their Cabelas. Sportsmans' Paradise in Longview is open though. But that's a loooong way from Burlington. Your best bet is the independent gun shops for anything right now.
Greene's is a gun store and shooting range in oak harbor. It's a great lil place and specialize in BP.

I bought primers at the Tulalip Cabelas last week end and another pack of primers and two of the Hornady Lock n Load bushings at the Tulalip Cabelas today.
Kessilrings is semi open. You need to call them and they bring your stuff out to you. I think plastic only there.

The Arlington trash transfer station is open to the public, no cash, plastic only.

I bought primers at the Tulalip Cabelas last week end and another pack of primers and two of the Hornady Lock n Load bushings at the Tulalip Cabelas today.
Kessilrings is semi open. You need to call them and they bring your stuff out to you. I think plastic only there.

The Arlington trash transfer station is open to the public, no cash, plastic only.
We went shooting yesterday up at the pit .
A guy on a quad stopped and said the sheriff have him a ticket the other day.
But we shot for a few hours and there was other people shooting also.
Never saw the sheriff.
We did see the DNR guy on the hwy on the way but he never came to the pit.

Today we went to the Darrington pit to shoot. We met a guy from the WAGUNS forum and he followed us up there. He stayed for close to four hours. We left Arlington at 8am. EPS and MEL got there around 11am to shoot. We shot a few blackpowder guns and then the rain started so we put them aeay and went back to the ARs and handguns.
Ed & Mel left around 5pm and we stayed until 6pm. We picked up close to twenty gallons of shotgun hulls and I picked up five gallons of steel rifle & handgun cases.

20200516_155334.jpg

Two weeks ago we picked up twenty-seven gallons of shotgun hulls.
It never ends, next trip there will be more to pick up. The top pit is all cleaned up of shotgun hulls.
Two weeks ago I had the lower pit about cleaned up, today it looks like some one dumped a truck.load of shotgun hulls there.
Mason does all of the shooting and I pick up the shotgun hulls.
I need to pick up a progressive press, it is hard to keep up with him with the single stage press.

20200516_124027.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads