Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

3-4" J-frame sized 22 mag ideas?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by mjn, Jan 9, 2014.

1. mjn

mjn Tri-Cities, Wa Active Member

Like the title says, I'm on the hunt for a 3 or 3" 22 mag revolver. I'm not sure if S&W ever produced a kit gun sized mag.. but that would be perfect. Did Smith ever make one??

The gun will be for my better half. She shoots my mdl 43 (airweight kit gun) fine, but the noise and buck of the larger calibers intimidate her a bit. I thought a 22 mag would be a perfect first pistol for her.

While I know Charter and Taurus make what I'm looking for, I am uncertain of the quality..

Double action, WITH a hammer, (no Ruger LCR). The Smith 351PD is an option, but the 1.78" barrel negates some of the output if the round.

Ideas?

2. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

S&W M651

3. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

S&W model 651. Not currently produced---but they made them as late as 1998, so there should
    be a few around.

About your only other choice in a 4" 22 Mag Smith is a model 48 (old or new), but it's a K frame.

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

High Standard Sentinel MK IV
    A friend has one, and it is very well made and accurate. 9 shot 4" barrel. All steel and comfortable to shoot. They come in 2 3/4" also.
    Seen them come up for sale around $350.00 for minty ones, $200.00 for ones in good condition.

5. hillbilli

hillbilli whidbey island New Member

taurus makes the small frame in an 8 shot .22 mag or a 9 shot lr version.. I have had a couple of the LR versions, and shot a magnum or two.. quality was always decent.

6. metrotps

metrotps Mountlake Terrace Member

Had a Taurus 941UL in .22mag. Great shooter. No problems. Only sold it to fund daughters college. It liked CCI 40 grain best.