JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those who engineered the Apollo capsule 50+ years ago could only have dreamed of the flat touch screen display controls being used on this mission.
No doubt!!
Actually Apollo astronauts did an amazing job as did the engineers with their slide rules.
Check out the stats for the on board computer.
I'm a retired geek and core memory aka bubble memory along with computer tapes were high tech back then.

"The computer had 2048 words of erasable magnetic-core memory and 36 kilowords of read-only core rope memory. Both had cycle times of 11.72 microseconds. The memory word length was 16 bits: 15 bits of data and one odd-parity bit. The CPU-internal 16-bit word format was 14 bits of data, one overflow bit, and one sign bit (ones' complement representation). "

I think my dishwasher has a bigger computer in it....

america-bubblegum-yeah.jpg

Oooops...pardon my French.

Aloha, Mark

I remember working in a lab in the mid '80s where there was a DEC PDP-11, abandoned in the corner of the lab. It still worked.
Being the pack rat scavenger I was, I asked the Sr. Engineer if there was a way to procure said iron. His reply, "That's more computing power than you will ever need."
As I pick up my phone....

Gotta say, got goosebumps and a little cloudy eyed watching it launch.

Plus that shuttle view! The blue glow with the seats and everything... Epic
Ditto. Absolutely amazing. Watching the pinnacle of technology and sending more brave explorers into space is awe-inspiring. Looking at what hamanity is capable of acomplishing in light of all the recent bad news gives me a glimmer of hope.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top