JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm glad to see the positive responses.

I think that the emphasis on state capitols is to pressure lawmakers. Therefore large groups outside of state legislatures would be a good thing.

Several items of interest re. being armed: I have read in this forum that Portland, Eugene, Salem, etc. have ordinances banning anyone from open carry who is not Oregon CHL.

Washington is Open Carry everywhere without licensing, except that you must have CPL to have one loaded/within reach (it must be on your person) in a vehicle. The problem here, is that Clark County citizens, government and LEOs, are unaware of the law. Washington also has state preemption: No lower jurisdiction can regulate firearms in a more severe manner than State Law (that's why Seattles' parks gun-ban failed).

I suggest signage (legibly hand-written is best), with themes that emphasize the Civil Right and the Civil Responsibility, rather than violently provocative things like (sic) ". . . the Tree of Liberty needs watering by the blood of Patriots and Tyrannts". Education, logical arguments, are perhaps the best ways to overcome the hoplophobic hype and downright lies of the last 40 years.

Remember too, that WA and OR both have 2A corellaries (sp) in their state constitutions (44 states do) - unlike CA, NY, NJ, IL, and several others.

Noon in Pioneer Square sounds good. But then, how about the Evergreen Blvd overpass on I5 in Vancouver, or the Mill Plain overpass on I205, at about 3PM - all the folks returning home from OR who live in Clark Co. would be the audience.

Someone would have to take it on themselves to call local news media also.

And: +2 - my wife and I will be present wherever in Portland or Clark County. I would go to Olympia for the day, but that now looks to be moot.

Keep Up the Fire!

Mike, if you are committing to be a definite, I'll join you, and I'll be on crutches..but if nobody even commits to showing up, it will be a waste of time....

The second amendment foundation won't even answer emails about it..

Washington is Open Carry everywhere without licensing, except that you must have CPL to have one loaded/within reach (it must be on your person) in a vehicle. The problem here, is that Clark County citizens, government and LEOs, are unaware of the law. Washington also has state preemption: No lower jurisdiction can regulate firearms in a more severe manner than State Law (that's why Seattles' parks gun-ban failed).

DO NOT try open carry in Washington in the cities. You will be harassed and possibly prosecuted. Fair warning!

Noon, 19 April 2009 at Portland's living room....that is the big open brick square across the street from Nordstroms, and the old Courthouse in Downtown between S.W. Broadway and 6th.

Blitzkrieg: Your warning about Open Carry is well taken. And is why we must fix this disparity between what the law says, and how it's enforced.

Do we lay down and take it? Or stand up and push back?

Oregon seems to have an organization which concerns itself with Self-Defense/2A politics: The Oregon Firearms Federation. They have even come up with money to support legal defenses against abuse by local and state authorities.

In Washington, we have the Washington State Rifle and Pistol Association (WSRPA), which claims to be the NRA voice within the state, but only seems to concern itself with sanctioning shooting competitions.

Question: In Washington, should we form another organization with politics as its main emphasis? Or should we infiltrate WSRPA and broaden their agenda from within?

I suggest the later, as it's an already existing group, with links to many local gun clubs, and so could be useful as an existing foundation for action, rather than building new from the ground up.

As far as local activity for 19 April goes this year: I fear that we are too late for anything substantive in this short period of time.

However, we may be able to agitate something a month or two months from now. April 19 was selected as the anniversary of the "Shot heard 'round the world", but it's probably more important to do something that is better planned, and in greater strength.

A weak showing will be ignored, or even derided, by the gun grabbers.

I think Mike Settles is correct, in saying that we would be better served by having a bigger, better organized turnout. If only a few people show up with no prior organization, it would probably do more harm than good.

So with that in mind, I think we would all be better served by having a better planned event. If only a few people showed up, the press would interpret the low turnout as an indication that few people other than "gun nuts" are interested in this issue.

For me, that means that I will wait for some organization or plan in hopes that we would be helpful to our cause, rather than doing something that could damage it. Saturday the 19th at noon in Portland is off as far as I'm concerned.

On the 6.5 Grendel web site, they mention a march in Olympia, Washington scheduled for Saturday, 24 April 2010. It sounds like there is actually some organizing of that event. It is at least worth checking out the thread.

All,
NoOne was correct: There will be a gathering of Second Amendment supporters in Olympia on Saturday, 24 April, at noon.

<broken link removed>

I will attend, with my wife and at least one neighbor.

Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF) doesn't have mention of 2A March activities on their home page, or anywhere that I can find on their site with a cursory examination. (Though you can send them $10 for a chance at a flattop M4-clone.)

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/

2A March site has nothing for Oregon: State coordinator dropped out.
<broken link removed>

Good Luck All & Keep Up the Fire!

DO NOT try open carry in Washington in the cities. You will be harassed and possibly prosecuted. Fair warning!

REALLY ???
I live in Tacoma, work in Seattle and have not been hassled. Before you go spouting off to others about what you DO NOT KNOW you might want to visit the Open Carry site and do some reading. Your kind of dribble is what keeps people from exercising their right because I know a guy, who knows a guy, who said....
I was just in Olympia today doing some coordination for the 2A rally on the 24th. Not one issue carrying on the Capitol grounds, in the Capitol building or anywhere downtown Olympia. I Open Carry 99&#37; of the time here in Washington State with a Sig 1911 on my hip and a double mag holder on the other hip. Visit the Washington Forum on Open Carry and get informed: <broken link removed>

OC & CC is allowed on the Capitol Grounds as well as in the Capitol Building.

If you would like to donate to the Washington State Second Amendment March, The fine folks at GunPal set up an account: <broken link removed>

For Further Information Contact:

David Del Buono
Washington State Coordinator
Second Amendment March
[email protected]

Jim Beal
Assistant Washington State Coordinator
Second Amendment March
[email protected]
[email protected]

Liz Foley
National Media Director
832-877-5263
[email protected]

SECOND AMENDMENT MARCH
Washington State

The Second Amendment March has announced a Washington state rally in conjunction with the national event in Washington D.C.

The Washington state march will be held Saturday, April 24 at 12pm at the Capitol in Olympia. Participants will assemble at Tivoli Fountain. For further updated information and a map of the location visit <broken link removed> .

The Second Amendment March is a national event supported by satellite marches at state capitols and in cities across America. The national Second Amendment March will take place Monday, April 19, 2010 from 10am &#8211; 4pm on the grounds of the Washington Monument in Washington D.C.

Our nation's founders were deliberate and vigilant when drafting the Second Amendment to provide "we the people" the protections needed to defend our country, freedom, liberty and way of life. They understood far too well the danger of a disarmed population under a tyrannical government. Thomas Jefferson said it best, "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

To take part in this landmark rally in support of your right to keep and bear arms and to protect and defend our Second Amendment visit http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com to R.S.V.P., volunteer or make a contribution. Or just show up! We need everyone.

Questions or to set up an interview: Contact Liz Foley, National Media Director at [email protected].

About Second Amendment March:

The mission of the Second Amendment March is to galvanize the courage and resolve of Americans; to petition our elected officials against establishing anti-gun legislation; and to remind America that the Second Amendment is necessary to maintain our right to self defense.

Information about Second Amendment March is available at: http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com

If you would like to donate to the Washington State Second Amendment March, GunPal set up an account: <broken link removed>

The Open carry table will be at the three O'clock position from the podium.

In Washington, we have the Washington State Rifle and Pistol Association (WSRPA), which claims to be the NRA voice within the state, but only seems to concern itself with sanctioning shooting competitions.

Question: In Washington, should we form another organization with politics as its main emphasis? Or should we infiltrate WSRPA and broaden their agenda from within?

There are already a couple of organizations that could be put to better use:
NW Citizens Defense League: http://www.nwcdl.com/
Washington Gun Rights: http://www.washingtongunrights.com

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR