JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can you provide some examples?
I'm having a hard time brainstorming any new (or old) laws that would/will prevent firearm-related deaths.

I think we agree that gun controls in the form of restrictions, bans, licensing fees and taxes imposed on law abiding citizens are a dimwitted, hamfisted approach that only serve to discriminate. I posted a thread awhile back looking for some (admittedly BS) examples of SB 941 reducing the crime rate in OR. The GC pushers and their lackeys in the media, Ceasefire Oregon, MDA, OPB, etc would have certainly followed up that fanciful bit of societal manipulation with gushing reports on it's incredible success given the slightest chance of statistical masturbation... crickets.

What I'm pretty sure we disagree on is that there is some legislative cure to a societal problem. So called "Common Sense" doesn't need to be regulated, taxed, or legislated by twits in domed buildings. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it can't be legislated.

There is no such thing as "common sense gun control." Control is just that and control is never good. I have started no less than six threads on this board on that very topic. Every time they are locked down or deleted because even among gun owners, there are those who want control.

Gun control is not firearm violence prevention. Gun control is just that. The proposed solution would not fit onto a bumper sticker, but I will present a teaser for you. When a kid is put on psychotropic drugs whose known side effects are homicidal and suicidal tendencies AND, when that minor is involved in multiple (dozens) of actions that require the police to make a report, maybe it's time to address that (and I'm not talking Red Flag Laws here either).

When a kid is put on psychotropic drugs whose known side effects are homicidal and suicidal tendencies AND, when that minor is involved in multiple (dozens) of actions that require the police to make a report, maybe it's time to address that (and I'm not talking Red Flag Laws here either).

Nah, gotta let that kid shoot 'em up. Good excuse for more gun control.

The answer to the question in the title of this article is YES:

There is no such thing as "common sense gun control." Control is just that and control is never good. I have started no less than six threads on this board on that very topic. Every time they are locked down or deleted because even among gun owners, there are those who want control.

Gun control is not firearm violence prevention. Gun control is just that. The proposed solution would not fit onto a bumper sticker, but I will present a teaser for you. When a kid is put on psychotropic drugs whose known side effects are homicidal and suicidal tendencies AND, when that minor is involved in multiple (dozens) of actions that require the police to make a report, maybe it's time to address that (and I'm not talking Red Flag Laws here either).
Okay... thanks for the clarification. Good answer.

You're right, there are steps that can be taken that do not need to violate the gun owning public's rights or even require our compliance. The type(s) of legislation you outlined would affect very few (if any) of us and require no affirmative measures on our part, focusing on past/present behavior and actual safety versus blanket equipment bans, ownership restrictions, threats, and soul crushing monetary penalties designed to mold society into an unattainable (and unacceptable) p-whipped feudal Utopia.

As you alluded to at the end of your post though, it has to be well crafted and universal, not some grandstanding tragedy-pimp's kneejerk reaction to a specific crime and it must (MUST) never invert due process, ie; red flag laws.

Nah, gotta let that kid shoot 'em up. Good excuse for more gun control.

The answer to the question in the title of this article is YES:

From the article, quoting the Parkland school district superintendent:

"Let me reiterate this point: Nikolas Cruz, the shooter that was involved in this horrific accident at Marjory Stoneman Douglas, had no connection to the PROMISE program."

So there ya go... it was an accident.

This guy couldn't be CYA-ing any harder if he wrapped his whole body in aluminum foil and slept in a hole in the ground. That article was written in 2018... l hope he's been fired since then.

From the article, quoting the Parkland school district superintendent:

"Let me reiterate this point: Nikolas Cruz, the shooter that was involved in this horrific accident at Marjory Stoneman Douglas, had no connection to the PROMISE program."

So there ya go... it was an accident.

This guy couldn't be CYA-ing any harder if he wrapped his whole body in aluminum foil and slept in a hole in the ground. That article was written in 2018... l hope he's been fired since then.

I found it eye opening that an astute poster knew exactly who I was talking about without even alluding to a time or place. OTOH, mass shooters pretty much follow the same path and they send the same signals before acting. If the liberals love control so much, they should control the doctors that hand out psychotropic drugs as if they were candy. Then, once a minor is taking those drugs and becomes unbalanced and dangerous, maybe it's time to put them in a hospital or a group home with limited access to the public and under adequate supervision.

Almost to a man (or boy, depending on how you define them), most mass shooters are between the ages of 18 to 40, white, and on a schedule of drugs called SSRIs. While most people are reluctant to study the correlation between SSRIs and mass shooters, I suspect it's probably a combination of white culture versus other cultures and, doctors stereotyping whites (thinking they all have good insurance plans), they write more prescriptions for white kids. It's just a theory, but I see no other immediate explanation.

most mass shooters are between the ages of 18 to 40, white, and on a schedule of drugs called SSRIs.
lt also depends on how you define mass murder.
Spree killers, serial killers, and big-event mass shooters are exactly as you say and the SSRI connection is undeniable. I don't understand the hesitation to discuss it beyond the fact that they think it weakens their gun-grabbing arguments.

However, there are some pretty impressive body counts in minority communities too... and don't even get me started on the sick bubblegums operating for the Mexican cartels. Some real depravity going on there.

lt also depends on how you define mass murder.
Spree killers, serial killers, and big-event mass shooters are exactly as you say and the SSRI connection is undeniable. I don't understand the hesitation to discuss it beyond the fact that they think it weakens their gun-grabbing arguments.

However, there are some pretty impressive body counts in minority communities too... and don't even get me started on the sick bubblegums operating for the Mexican cartels. Some real depravity going on there.

"The Congressional Research Service defines mass shootings, as multiple, firearm, homicide incidents, involving 4 or more victims at one or more locations close to one another."

I got a notice from one of the mods here that all we can talk about is gun control. So, I'm having to refine my posts to be super accurate so as to avoid any confusion. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Even the feds acknowledge that prevention means paying more attention to mental illness. Virtually all mass shooters are white, 18 to 40 years in age, and have been on a schedule of drugs called SSRIs. That's part of understanding the solution, but I dare not go further in open forum.

I got a notice from one of the mods here that all we can talk about is gun control.
l kinda thought we were.

Anyway, I'll just say that l misread your post (actually a couple of times) and saw "mass murder" where you specifically mentioned "mass shooter"... maybe time for me to look into a stronger prescription.

Wanted to clarify that and I'll leave it be.

Lauren Boebert was arrested and charged with:

Disorderly conduct
Failure to appear
Careless driving
Operating an unsafe vehicle
Failure to appear (again)
Dog at large
3rd degree assault
Criminal mischief
Underage drinking

Jayson Boebert was arrested and charged with:

Public indecency
Lewd exposure
Harrassment
Domestic violence

Just your typical cream of the crop all-American family LOL

WAIT A MINUTE! I could have been charged with most of those things if they had caught me

l kinda thought we were.

Anyway, I'll just say that l misread your post (actually a couple of times) and saw "mass murder" where you specifically mentioned "mass shooter"... maybe time for me to look into a stronger prescription.

Wanted to clarify that and I'll leave it be.

I didn't check. I thought it was my faux pas. No harm. No foul.

Your claim may be closer to the truth for "school" shootings - I have not checked that.
Quite a bit of nuance in the definition of "school shooter" now too.

In the stats used by civilian disarmament advocates, some dude getting capped by his dealer at 2am is a school shooting if it happened within a certain distance (determined by them) of a school.
The SRO's ND from a couple of yrs ago was a school shooting.
A man who murdered his wife in the middle of the night was a school shooting.
Kids who shot BBs at school buses at the school bus terminal was counted as a school shooting.
Apparently the sad truth isn't bad enough, they feel the need to expand on it.

Incorrect:

Your claim may be closer to the truth for "school" shootings - I have not checked that.
Quite a bit of nuance in the definition of "school shooter" now too.

In the stats used by civilian disarmament advocates, some dude getting capped by his dealer at 2am is a school shooting if it happened within a certain distance (determined by them) of a school.
The SRO's ND from a couple of yrs ago was a school shooting.
A man who murdered his wife in the middle of the night was a school shooting.
Kids who shot BBs at school buses at the school bus terminal was counted as a school shooting.
Apparently the sad truth isn't bad enough, they feel the need to expand on it.

If you stick to the terminology of mass shooter, you eliminate that issue and for the most part take it off the table OR force the liberals to take on a common sense response to ways to reduce firearm violence versus nonsense gun control. See what I did there?

If you stick to the terminology of mass shooter, you eliminate that issue and for the most part take it off the table OR force the liberals to take on a common sense response to ways to reduce firearm violence versus nonsense gun control. See what I did there?
Yes.
But the unfortunate truth, and we both know it, is that violence prevention is not the goal. If it were, we'd see actual steps taken in that direction.

It's about disarmament, and that's all.
Oh, yeah... there's some useful idiots who happily glom onto bad ideas or just don't like guns and aren't afraid to say so. But those are people who don't have power and authority to lose, they're just misinformed, hateful, bigoted, or stupid. The true believers.

Yes.
But the unfortunate truth, and we both know it, is that violence prevention is not the goal. If it were, we'd see actual steps taken in that direction.

It's about disarmament, and that's all.
Oh, yeah... there's some useful idiots who happily glom onto bad ideas or just don't like guns and aren't afraid to say so. But those are people who don't have power and authority to lose, they're just misinformed, hateful, bigoted, or stupid. The true believers.

My theory is that if gun haters had to deal with violence prevention legislation as an alternative to their gun control proposals, they would not be so aggressive.

You're smart enough not to get caught and she wasn't. And she got elected to Congress.

Yes, she was elected. Baggage and all.

Obviously you're not a fan. Fine. Admittedly, a 'cleaner' record would be nice.

Buttttt.....who else is doing anything comparable?

Maybe a bit of a 'disrupter' who's willing to NOT toe the party line is what is needed. If there's a knight as pure as the driven snow in congress pushing pro2A efforts, spread the word.

$.02 worth,
Boss

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews