JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 12 year old nephew who has become interested in hunting. I have a NIB Winchester (not sure on model without going to look) in my possession that is "his".

I looked at ammo prices, and ouch. $2/ loaded round and at least $1/ rd for just brass.

Do I try and sell the rifle and get something more common/cost effect or do we keep the rifle for later and get him something more appropriate for now?

I know I will not get the full value out of the current rifle, however it was "free" as it was one at a raffle.

I'd hang onto that rifle.
.280 is an excellent cartridge.
With a hunting rifle you're not buying cases of ammo.
Just enough ammo to sight in and then go hunt, so ammo cost shouldn't scare you off.

At least for elk, even just "decent" hunting ammo is starting to run over $2 / rd for .308 and .3006. Looks like .280 is higher than that per rd, and right now (or, for next year's season) it may be difficult finding the right hunting ammo you want for the .280 -- because his rifle may not be as accurate with one hunting load, as another.

Having said that, I knew an guy who for a lot of years used .280 for deer and elk and he really liked it.

At least for elk, even just "decent" hunting ammo is starting to run over $2 / rd for .308 and .3006. .
I already reload for a those calibers so it will be a lot cheaper/round. Even loading with high end bullets I will stay under $1/rd

I think the .280 is a good round, I am just cost sensitive.

I know others are saying a couple of boxes will last for several seasons. I get the concept, but this is a new shooter and I want them to shoot a lot and get lots of practice. Yes they can do that with other guns for the fundamentals, but they still need time with this one.

I know others are saying a couple of boxes will last for several seasons. I get the concept, but this is a new shooter and I want them to shoot a lot and get lots of practice. Yes they can do that with other guns for the fundamentals, but they still need time with this one.
I probably developed more of my rifleman skills with a Sheridan 5mm pellet rifle and 4x scope than anything else.
If you're concerned about ammo cost and want to get the new shooter started on centerfire, why not acquire a .223/5.56 bolt gun and reload for that ?

Right now if it's a good gun that fits your needs hold onto it as of Dec 8th you won't be buying guns for a while her in Oregon.. I hope you prove me wrong.

keep the rifle for later and get him something more appropriate for now?
This is the correct answer.

For an idea on a training rifle, I offer this suggestion:

This:

Plus this:

Equals one hell of a training rifle.

For a nicer bottom metal that uses CZ mags, add this:

Right now if it's a good gun that fits your needs hold onto it as of Dec 8th you won't be buying guns for a while her in Oregon.. I hope you prove me wrong.
It is not a gun that fits my needs. It is NIB and has been that way for 5 years. I have not bought any guns in OR for a long time.

This is the correct answer.

For an idea on a training rifle, I offer this suggestion:

This:

Plus this:

Equals one hell of a training rifle.

For a nicer bottom metal that uses CZ mags, add this:

I have lots of .223/5.56 stuff now. Also lots of .243 and .308.

I am not opposed to building or buying something new/different. I am just a fan of non-common calibers and there is no sentimental attachment to the .280 rifle. Again it seems like a great cartridge and rifle.

I did look up the rifle and it is a M70 Super Grade rifle.

It is not a gun that fits my needs. It is NIB and has been that way for 5 years. I have not bought any guns in OR for a long time.
Does your nephew, who the gun allegedly belongs to, have any input on the matter?

I don't see the point in rushing to a decision to sell it. You said you've had it for 5 years now, what's another few at this point?

The only thing "non standard" about it seems to be in your head. 280, specifically in AI form, has had quite the resurgence in recent years. Hell, I'd be tempted to buy it, even though it doesn't do anything my -06 won't do.

I already reload for a those calibers so it will be a lot cheaper/round. Even loading with high end bullets I will stay under $1/rd

I think the .280 is a good round, I am just cost sensitive.

If you reload, a set of dies and a box of 7mm bullets would be easy to come by and wouldn't break the bank. Many of the '08 and '06 powders will work efficiently, too. A 280 is just another of those based on the '06 platform ('03, really) that is extremely effective on our North American critters. No reason here to change guns.
A larger concern would be, "does the gun fit the kid?" If so, I'd say keep what you have and roll with it. I doubt any regrets will be found.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top