JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Alright, I ordered one too.

I have no intention of every really using the thing, the combo of heavy and ugly is a deal killer. Interesting from a project standpoint though.

That shovel AK is super cool.

I probably am going to have to order one of these scrap metal parts kits just because.

If you wanted to make the trek up to my shop I could set you up to weld that sucker up.

wouldnt the new ATF rule require your do be registered as a manufacturer for me to do that? (not allowing people to use a shop to finish their 80% lowers)

Well, Who the FRU on here says no. Since he has a SOT I would think he knows a little something. It's questionable though. It seems to me though that if you are doing the actual construction it's a fairly safe approach. The guys I see them going after are the drop in CNC operations where the "builder" is just pushing the start button

That shovel AK is super cool.

I probably am going to have to order one of these scrap metal parts kits just because.

If you wanted to make the trek up to my shop I could set you up to weld that sucker up.
You guys should do it! Ive never seen an AR done up like that. It would make a very very interesting documentary if you were to film it as the project progressed. Doubt those ARFcom guys would like it.. But us AK guys love seeing firearms made by the hand of man.. No matter how crude haha

I got my bag of metal today. I am sure it says it someplace on the sales site but the buffer tube/receiver extension boss is not threaded. The tap to thread it will cost far more than the parts kit and it will be a bit tricky to get threaded perfectly straight.

I got my bag of metal today. I am sure it says it someplace on the sales site but the buffer tube/receiver extension boss is not threaded. The tap to thread it will cost far more than the parts kit and it will be a bit tricky to get threaded perfectly straight.

I didn't catch that myself. That would be a tricky tap for sure. Maybe a local gunsmith has the tools and experience to do it. Only one shot to get it right.

Sounds like an 80% is still a better option for those that desire a lower with no serial number.

the site says some people just weld on a castle nut instead of trying to thread it.

Hell, just weld on the buffer tube.

Fillet bronze-brazing would actually probably look good... in a steam-punky kind of way. and done right, should hold up just fine.

You may be right about the 'steampunk' look - those welds, etc. would be right at home:

4903265_orig.jpg

Though, something like this might be more to your liking:

DSC-0259-zps72e0f94b.jpg

Woah! Dood... people buy that bubblegum... you could probably make some money, pumping those things out. What's a manufacturing license run these days??

the site says some people just weld on a castle nut instead of trying to thread it.

Hell, just weld on the buffer tube.

Both the buffer tube and castle nut would be aluminum. If you can figure out how to weld steel to aluminum you could buy all the "real" lowers you wanted. You could solder or braze it

Last Edited:
Both the buffer tube and castle nut would be aluminum. If you can figure out how to weld steel to aluminum you could buy all the "real" lowers you wanted. You could solder or braze it

I thought the castle nuts are steel? I definitely see steel ones for sale.

I'll set up an account on the weapons guild to see how these guys build them
http://www.weaponsguild.com/

Im going to get a tap I think. I just love reasons to add to my tap collection.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top