JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
anybody else with a 270wsm? i got one in january, so far i just love it. nothing dead yet but it is just a matter of time. the recoil seems to be about half of my 30-06 ruger,{sold} hot, fast, straight, what more could you want. look out world here we come:s0155:

I don't own any, but I'm just wondering why the short mags are any better than the regular? From the Hodgdon website, it shows H1000 under a 130gr bullet, giving the 270 WSM about 200 fps over the 270 Win, at the cost of nearly 10 more grains of powder. Some of the other magnums show roughly the same gain (300 RUM over the 300 Win, 200 +/- from an extra 20 grs of powder) Is it just a personal thing, like every person has their own reason for liking/disliking a particular thing, or are they really that much better. Looking for education here, not to tick anyone off. Personally, I hope you have a great time with your new cartidge and its everything you want it to be! Be safe and have fun!

On the RUM, the difference is closer to +/-300 with 165 gr bullets. That's a significant difference when you start getting out beyond 400 yds. Extra powder, who cares? You know that going in, kinda like the guy that buys a motorhome--if you're worried about gas mileage you can't afford it.

Craig Boddington wrote an article on the 270wsm and claimed slight increases in velocity and energy,said not to worry about replacing your 270win.with one though.They are pretty much one in the same.

I beg to differ with you, look at the factory tables, doesnt make any difference if it is remmy, win, federal, there is a significant difference. the 270 wsm shoots the same or slightly hotter than 7mm mag and 270 weatherby. in my book that works for deer, elk, antelope, rock chucks, coyotes, black bear, the neighbors cat, whatever gets in the way. and is a whole bunch more comforatable to fire than most 7mags

And Boddington concerned himself with real-world chrono results, rather than promotional factory ballistics tables to develop his opinion. I have a moderate wealth of experience with the .270 Winchester. My experience with the Short Mag Cartridges is limited: ten guns in two calibers: .300 and .270. No hunting, just shooting and working on them (glass bedding, scope mounting, trigger work, etc.). Out of the ten guns, three had feeding problems. One went to an authorized repair smith twice, then finally to the factory before the problem was resolved. The vast majority, I am certain have none of these troubles, and I would like to believe I merely bumped into an inordinate amount of malfunctioning guns. However, these feeding problems were not hard to find other documentation for from other owners, evaluators and smiths. There is a reason that cartridges of tapered body and moderate shoulder angle exist in the first place: its a heck of a lot easier to make them feed from a magazine every time under any conditions. Cartridges of straighter wall, and more severe shoulder deserve more attention when the gun is manufactured to insure some degree of reliability for feeding into the chamber. Manufacturers are learning this, but don't have it fully whipped yet.

The Short Mag cartridges do shoot a bit faster than the garden variety. My chrono results show that .270 WSM factory ammo does not equal Weatherby velocities using Weatherby factory ammo in a Weatherby gun (freebored).

As with chainsaw, the only opinion referred to so far here was Boddington's, except for my hope that the number malfunctioning guns I ran into were an anomaly. The rest is merely relating my own experiences. My experiences advise me to form this opinion: my .270 Winchester will not be relinquished for a Short Mag.

I beg to differ with you, look at the factory tables, doesnt make any difference if it is remmy, win, federal, there is a significant difference. the 270 wsm shoots the same or slightly hotter than 7mm mag and 270 weatherby. in my book that works for deer, elk, antelope, rock chucks, coyotes, black bear, the neighbors cat, whatever gets in the way. and is a whole bunch more comforatable to fire than most 7mags

What factory tables are you looking at?I guess I didn't think 200 fps was a significant gain in performance.

From what I've read, the Gun writers think there isn't enough difference in performance to talk about until you achieve 150 fps difference. That means the WSM fills that requirement over the std 270 win.

The original poster said recoil half that of the .30-06. That is not because of the caliber. It has to be the weight of the two rifles he was shooting, stock design, recoil pad or a combo of the three. The recoil of the .270 WSM with all other factors equal will be about the same, maybe a little less, recoil as a 30-06.

The .270 WSM is a great caliber. The ballistics have an advantage over the .270 Win but comes up a little short against the .270 Wby. The accuracy of these short fat cartridges is very impressive. I suspect they shoot well for the same reasons the 6mmBR and 6PPC cases are so accurate. The biggest drawback in my opinion is you are usually limited to 3 cases in the magazine. I like a rifle that holds 5. I already have a .270 Win, and the slight advantages and the disadvantages of the WSM case means I will be keeping what I already own.

The 270 wsm is certainly flatter shooting than the standard 270.
but are you good enough to take advantage of it. I hate the trend in modern game rifles that seem to imply a flatter shooting round and afew extra lines in the scope reticle makes a long range shot out of you. I see lots of wounded bucks when i am elk hunting.
The vast majority of hunters with any rifle or cartridge should not shoot much over 300 yards. the exception being if you really practice a ton.
...tj3006

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads