JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hope never. Otherwise things will get pretty stale. Look forward to new stuff arriving on the shooting scene.

Guns yes, cartridges... ok, sure i can agree... but like I said these new rounds aren't really doing anything different than whats been available for years isn't that exciting to me. The window for newness is really small when it comes to cartridges. My opinion is biased though because I fell for it many years ago with my 2506... learned the hard way that flatness doesnt make you a better shooter. The rifle I spent years making memories with I wish was better suited to the elk I hunt with it. My guess is years from now the new CM will fall into the same category as other wildcats turned production, the old timers will swear by it though. :)

If I were making guns and or ammo I would hire some good marketing people to come up with something new, ala 6.5C. Any decent company in the firearms industry wants to be on "the cutting edge". There are so many variables when comparing calibers that can make one seem better than another. For me, reality is there is no reason to kick the 270 out of bed. The experience behind it and the availability make it a forever winner. I suggest that sometime in the future the Creedmore will become an afterthought like the 284 Win and a bunch of others. I dont shoot 1000 yard shots and most riflemen dont either. Mine works on antelope and thats about as far as I'm going to shoot.

Maybe buy yourself one of those newfangled laser rangefinders and quit guessing yardage. Oh and the Creedmoor has been out since 2007. I don't really think it is going anywhere anytime soon.

Well the 6.5 Creedmore was invented specifically for long range target shooting, but my only concern is the many hunters adopting it under the idea a flatter caliber will make them a better long distance hunter.... as if the 270 wasnt already a flat enough caliber.

Well the 6.5 Creedmore was invented specifically for long range target shooting, but my only concern is the many hunters adopting it under the idea a flatter caliber will make them a better long distance hunter.... as if the 270 wasnt already a flat enough caliber.
This is EXACTLY the reason I made this video.

This is EXACTLY the reason I made this video.
I cant watch the video right now, but I have looked at the ballistics of both in regards to long range hunting and the 270 is far superior to the new CM. A flatter trajectory is really probably the last thing to worry about in terminal performance when picking a long range hunting cartridge.

Maybe buy yourself one of those newfangled laser rangefinders and quit guessing yardage. Oh and the Creedmoor has been out since 2007. I don't really think it is going anywhere anytime soon.

I am usually within 25 yards of correct when using my hand and my eyeball as I learned the craft when I was in the US Army before there were laser range finders. Having said that I use my scope to range the targets and it seems to work out well for me that way .

As far as the Creedmoor having been around since 2007 , I would not bet my retirement on it being prolific in the long term. That has only been 13 years , there have been a lot of whiz bang cartridges since the 90's that were allegedly going to supplant the old standards . Most of em are only still here in theory or conversation and not in practical terms.

I can remember going back to the 1970's when several cartridges arrived and left all were supposedly going to retire older models.

Well everybody is entitled to their opinion but I am wondering how many poo-pooing the 6.5 Creedmoor have firsthand experience with it? I am a rifle looney and have used most of of the cartridges discussed here on big game. From this experience I can tell you the 6.5 CM is no slouch. It lends itself to being shot well and produces one shot kills on large mule deer in my trials with it.

From this experience I can tell you the 6.5 CM is no slouch. It lends itself to being shot well and produces one shot kills on large mule deer in my trials with it.
the new CM is a perfect deer caliber but there's a strong trend on people buying it to hunt elk with it where it becomes much more subjective on its terminal performance at longer ranges the round often purchased for.

I don't hunt Elk with my CM as I have better tools for the purpose. That being said I really don't have a problem with people using it on elk out to 300 or so, especially if they are recoil sensitive. Consequently I have never had to shoot an Elk past 315 yds or so.

Well everybody is entitled to their opinion but I am wondering how many poo-pooing the 6.5 Creedmoor have firsthand experience with it? I am a rifle looney and have used most of of the cartridges discussed here on big game. From this experience I can tell you the 6.5 CM is no slouch. It lends itself to being shot well and produces one shot kills on large mule deer in my trials with it.

I'll admit I have not, but when the cartridge was introduced and the numbers told me it was not an improvement over the 260 or 6.5x55 Skan I already owned there was no want for me to buy it. With few exceptions that is how my new caliber procurement take place. A new addition to my stable needs to offer a meaningful gain in performance.

I'll admit I have not, but when the cartridge was introduced and the numbers told me it was not an improvement over the 260 or 6.5x55 Skan I already owned there was no want for me to buy it. With few exceptions that is how my new caliber procurement take place. A new addition to my stable needs to offer a meaningful gain in performance.
I may not have got a 6.5cm if I already owned a 6.5 swede bolt gun but there are tangible improvements. It does basically mimic the swede ballistically albeit in a shorter action using less powder as it is slightly more efficient. I did already own a 260 rem when I bought the creedmoor but it was in a gas gun.

I may not have got a 6.5cm if I already owned a 6.5 swede bolt gun but there are tangible improvements. It does basically mimic the swede ballistically albeit in a shorter action using less powder as it is slightly more efficient. I did already own a 260 rem when I bought the creedmoor but it was in a gas gun.

I have heard others make the same assertion but I have to submit that the creedmoor can't mimic the 6.5x55 and hold less water in the case.

6.5 Creedmoor 52.5 grains H2O
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser 57.9 gr H2O

That is is a 10% difference in capacity , while the smaller cartridge can come close to the performance when the maximum potential of the Swede is realized there will be a performance gap. When you load to 6.5 Skan there will be a good bit more performance increase.

Which is why I said earlier that the 260 is much closer in case capacity and operating pressures to the creedmoor than the Swede . The 6.5x55 Skan operates a good bit more pressure than the Swede . Keep in mind Swede Pressures are kept down in deference to the 1896 and 1938 Mauser actions. When I owned my Model 77 Ruger I loaded the Swede quite a bit hotter than the SAAMI specs say you can.

On a wholly related note in Sweden those 96 actions are not held to the same pressure standards we hold them to.

Bullets matter, headstamps don't. I prefer controlled expansion or mono-metal bullets vs the new high-BC hybrids. Without high BC bullets, the CM loses its efficiency. There may come a time where high BC hybrid bullets earn a solid reputation on game.

Even then, the 270 has been pushing 130/140/150gr at useful velocities since 1925.

If hard men living hard lives need less recoil, the CM will work great. But so did the 243, 25-06, 260, and 7mm-08.

For the youngsters who preach 9mm and CM because they are afraid of a little equal/opposite reaction....:s0140:

I've been wanting to get a 6.5 creedmoor but realized I can just stick with my Remington 700bdl 270 and still kill as many animals....Plus, I won't have to go buy another set of reloading gear for yet another caliber!

.30/06, king of all it surveys! Nuff Said!
If you need flatter shootin, your really doing something wrong! If you need to buck the wind better, get better bullets!
If you don't like recoil, go find another hobby, guns ain't for you!

I get it, I really do! I got caught up in the whole 6.5MM thing way back when, and ya know what, I found that the old Swede could do everything I thought I wanted with out having to mess about, just find bullets it liked in proper weights and construction and load them until you no longer saw any improvement's and that's where you stayed, easy, and when that rifle snaps to the shoulder, the sights settle on the exact spot of the animal I wish to hit, the trigger almost pulls it's self before I even realize I have fired, and a few seconds later, I have meat on the ground, DEAD!
The Creed is a solution looking for a problem that others have addressed, many long ago, so I see it only as marketing to a new group of shooters or seasoned ones looking for something to play with our of boredom with their ever reliable and consistent shooter!

I like the .270, its fast, accurate, hits like a Mack truck, and things die quickly when hit by it! Cant ask for more then that!
When I need more of something, the Aught 6 gets the nod, or the .338 Winny if the mighty Aught 6 ain't enough!
Still a big fan of the .243 Win, not much it cant do within reason!

Ura-Ki, The 30-06 is an awesome round as well and I wouldn't hesitate to carry that either. For me, my Remington is the first rifle I bought and it's accuracy is amazing. I lent it to my dad for a deer/elk hunt in Montana years ago and he dropped a big ole dirty 4x4 buck in it's tracks. I'll definitely be sticking with it!

.30/06, king of all it surveys! Nuff Said!
If you need flatter shootin, your really doing something wrong! If you need to buck the wind better, get better bullets!
If you don't like recoil, go find another hobby, guns ain't for you!

I get it, I really do! I got caught up in the whole 6.5MM thing way back when, and ya know what, I found that the old Swede could do everything I thought I wanted with out having to mess about, just find bullets it liked in proper weights and construction and load them until you no longer saw any improvement's and that's where you stayed, easy, and when that rifle snaps to the shoulder, the sights settle on the exact spot of the animal I wish to hit, the trigger almost pulls it's self before I even realize I have fired, and a few seconds later, I have meat on the ground, DEAD!
The Creed is a solution looking for a problem that others have addressed, many long ago, so I see it only as marketing to a new group of shooters or seasoned ones looking for something to play with our of boredom with their ever reliable and consistent shooter!

I like the .270, its fast, accurate, hits like a Mack truck, and things die quickly when hit by it! Cant ask for more then that!
When I need more of something, the Aught 6 gets the nod, or the .338 Winny if the mighty Aught 6 ain't enough!
Still a big fan of the .243 Win, not much it cant do within reason!
It is extremely hard to find better real world performance when you use a 30-06 and a 180 grain Game King . I am told that both are obsolete by younger shooters , yet both still seem to work as designed .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top