JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hahaha, your video had me laughing pretty hard!
I'm not a 6.5 fanboy and I'd certainly rather have 270 for elk but I think it's worth mentioning that Hornady Superformance specializes in SPEED and claims it's 100-200fps faster than other factory loads. That gave it an unfair advantage when crunching the numbers, if you subtract 200fps and then do the math they're a bit closer.
Advantage to 6.5 (as you said) is less recoil for shooters sensitive to it, longer barrel life and easier to spot your misses/hits.
I'd rather have a 270 in the woods and 6.5 at the range, if I could only have one rifle 270 wins easily because I love hunting. Superformance skews the numbers though‍.
Regardless, video was awesome, informative and had me laughing out loud, thanks!

Last Edited:
100% And the 260 would be better in an AR-10 feeding wise because of its slight body taper.

It is a fantastic feeding cartridge because it is a 308 based case, same as a 243 . Both work well in AR10's and M1A's

My last AR10 build was a 260 and it was a fantastically reliable and accurate cartridge that could launch 140 and 160 grain pills with sub moa accuracy when I did my part at the loading bench and pulling the trigger.

Hahaha, your video had me laughing pretty hard!
I'm not a 6.5 fanboy and I'd certainly rather have 270 for elk but I think it's worth mentioning that Hornady Superformance specializes in SPEED and claims it's 100-200fps faster than other factory loads. That gave it an unfair advantage when crunching the numbers, if you subtract 200fps and then do the math they're a bit closer.
Advantage to 6.5 (as you said) is less recoil for shooters sensitive to it, longer barrel life and easier to spot your misses/hits.
I'd rather have a 270 in the woods and 6.5 at the range, if I could only have one rifle 270 wins easily because I love hunting. Superformance skews the numbers though‍.
Regardless, video was awesome, informative and had me laughing out load, thanks!
Thank you. I'm glad you liked the video. I plan to revisit this test in a future video when I can shoot the exact same ammo.

.243 users have to do that in the closet.

:( I own a 243 ....

On a more serious note I purchased this most recent one 5 years ago for $100 it is built on a Loewe 1895 Mauser with a SAKO varmint contour barrel . At the time the seller had no idea what caliber it was in and I had to do a chamber casting. I am not saying the rifle shoots with more expensive guns . Here is what I made it do though with the original cut down military stock, factory ammo and a 40 year old 4-12 Redfield I mounted to it.

Eventually I will get a chance to test my hand loads and see if it tightens up. I have no doubt that a better quality stock will help the accuracy .

IMG_5235.JPG

Last Edited:
Maybe just rebrand the 270 to 6.8 Creedmoor?

I do not hate the .277 caliber but it is ballistically inferior to a .264 bullet as is almost everything else out there . If long range precision is what you are going after then it will be incredibly hard to beat the results of a 6.5 caliber cartridge assuming the rifle it is chambered in is built appropriately for the job you are trying to accomplish .

A lot of men smarter than men have used the term ballistically perfect , that is an apt description .

I don't follow the sport but it was my impression that the 6mm Creedmoor was doing quite well for a while. No?

I think that is true there are a lot of folks using the 6PRC as well . When I shot F class ( dirt benchrest) the calibers to beat in the long range game were the guys shooting 6.5-284 and 6-284 . I shot a 6.5-284 and it helped me realize I was too poor to be competitive at F Class after a couple of barrel changes in as little as 1500 rounds.

While the 6.5 might be ballistically perfect for punching paper I consider 7mm projectiles to be ballistically perfect for the taking of North American game animals.

I've always liked the 260 and 25-06 too, although the 260 sort of never caught on.

That is 100% the fault of Remington they did the same thing to the 244/6mm Remington . Let's design an awesome cartridge and then build a rifle with the wrong barrel twist so we can't capitalize on it.

Same thing for the 7mm Express / 280 Remington. The 280 is the equal of the 7mm Remington Magnum but lets load it down to a lower level of performance because we can't have it displacing the 7Mag :rolleyes:

People wonder why Remington went bankrupt....

Interesting video. I own a 6.5 AR firearm but its a 6.5 Grendel :D :p To me... the Creedmore is to the .308 as the Grendel is to the 5.56 ... in that they are quite the improvement over the original loads, and designed to fit AR platforms (AR10 and AR15 respectively) but both fall short against other calibers that have more case capacity and are used in bolt action rifles.

I'm not a Creedmoor fan, don't own one, or intend to. five decades with a .270 kept my freezer full and now the 6.5 X 55 has my fancy.
Though I do think naysayers and pashawers of the creedmoor are missing valid and functional engineering points surrounding the reason it was designed and promoted, with that being its ability to use heavier and longer bullets that fit the case properly to reach that extra distance it was intended for in long range target shooting while still preforming well for hunting. Especially for those who cannot afford a bunch of specialty rifles.
Proven science corroborates the longer, heavier, svelte bullets with the proper spin enhance ballistics coeficients when looking far past most hunting ranges and well over 500+ yards. If having roughly 43" less drop @ 1000 yards than its parent cartridge 308 is not enough, It does it with less less recoil than the 308 or the .270.. Or so I am told.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top