JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If recoil is to talked about...
In addition to being subjective as mentioned above....

Stock fit is very important.
If the stock does not fit you recoil can be painful , no matter the caliber.
Andy

Agreed , but it's not just stock fit it's stock style as well some stock designs just flat out enhance recoil more than others do. A good example is an 03 Springfield , straight stocked examples absolutely give the user more feedback than C stock examples do.

Another rifle that can be notorious for recoil is a featherweight Model 70 .

On the .270 v 6.5CM, it's an apples to oranges comparison. Of course the .270 can have better performance wrung out of it, it's a long action cartridge. Just like if you are handloading you can get much better performance from 30-06 than from .308. The 6.5CM does pretty well for a short action cartridge though, and it opens up platforms that aren't available to the .270 like AR10s, M1As, and in theory FALs or Lee-Enfields. Nothing wrong with wanting 6.5x55 ballistics in a short action. I think it's going to stick around for quite a while, as it feels like it's the second most popular AR10 cartridge which is a solid base of support.

Agreed , but it's not just stock fit it's stock style as well some stock designs just flat out enhance recoil more than others do. A good example is an 03 Springfield , straight stocked examples absolutely give the user more feedback than C stock examples do.

Doesn't have to be a Featherweight. The standard stock (not Monte Carlo style) on a Pre-64 doesn't help the issue. Changing to a Monte Carlo style, even with the steel buttplate helped.

A lightweight gun will have more felt recoil.
also I don't understand why a model 94 30-30 will beat the crap out of you but the Marlin doesn't
Don't the Marlins usually have a recoil pad, instead of a steel or plastic buttplate?

Don't the Marlins usually have a recoil pad, instead of a steel or plastic buttplate?

Yes they do and my own personal observation is that a Model 94 is no more unpleasant to shoot than an SKS . I just never had the take away it was a harsh recoiling weapon.

As a kid my brother and I were given a stern talking to more than once due to our habit of burning up multiple boxes of 30-30 ammo. The old man was not keen on us "wasting ammo"

Course we weren't frail things .

The 1894 was the first rifle I ever shot larger than a 22. I had no experience with a gun that recoils and it took me a while to figure out how to keep it from hurting when I shot it.
These days that same rifle is nuthin to shoot. Guess I learned something in the last 47 years.

A lightweight gun will have more felt recoil.
also I don't understand why a model 94 30-30 will beat the crap out of you but the Marlin doesn't

The first highpower I hunted with was a '94 saddlering carbine with the curved carbine steel buttplate. I was 10 years old and the smallest kid in my class. Dad's idea of recoil mitigation was wadding up a pair of socks or grabbing a deerskin glove off the dash and shove it under my shirt on my shoulder.
That gun hurt. BAD.

When I was 13, Dad graduated me to a Krag ("sporterized"....and/or "butchered"). I'm certain I did not consider the flat steel buttplate much of a comfort improvement, especially with the extra power (and recoil). The only saving grace was its weight.

I fight recoil aversion constantly and I am not afraid to admit it. But I have learned to fight it well enough even to compete well. I am not afraid to admit it because I know for certain it affects EVERYONE.

When I obtained a Model 99 in .250-3000 I was taught by that gun that a highpower doesn't have to hurt. That gun also taught me to shoot (even when I go to bigger guns).

That the 6.5 Creedmoor will recoil in a very comparable and close fashion when compared to the .250 is to me a VERY attractive feature.

But my Model 99 in .308 is a surprisingly cruel gun to the shooter, considering the caliber.

Not true for me...I like the straight stock of an 03 or 03A3....
The recoil of the featherweight model 70 wasn't bad or unpleasant for me at least.
( I've only fired two of those , one in 30-06 and one in .308 )

I have no doubt that stock design can contribute to felt recoil....
Just saying that the examples you cited...weren't "bad" for me....others may think otherwise.
Andy
Edited my Oops...
Typed 03A1 , meant 03A3

Last Edited:
Not true for me...I like the straight stock of an 03 or 03A1....
The recoil of the featherweight model 70 wasn't bad or unpleasant for me at least.
( I've only fired two of those , one in 30-06 and one in .308 )

I have no doubt that stock design can contribute to felt recoil....
Just saying that the examples you cited...weren't "bad" for me....others may think otherwise.
Andy

The straight stock is WHY they went to a C Stock on the m1903 ... M1903A1 by definition has a C stock that is what makes it a A1.

There were a complaints from troops that the recoil was harsh a straight line stock. A lot of folks I have known complain about the featherweight stocks due to the drop of the comb . It is more vicious in some calibers than others , I remember pulling my featherweight stock off of my 300 Win Mag and replacing it with a HS precision stock due to the the lighter stock accentuated the recoil of the 300. I do not mind it in a 308 or 06 but when approaching the magnum calibers the featherweight stock is no bueno for me.

The straight stock is WHY they went to a C Stock on the m1903 ... M1903A1 by definition has a C stock that is what makes it a A1.

There were a complaints from troops that the recoil was harsh a straight line stock. A lot of folks I have known complain about the featherweight stocks due to the drop of the comb . It is more vicious in some calibers than others , I remember pulling my featherweight stock off of my 300 Win Mag and replacing it with a HS precision stock due to the the lighter stock accentuated the recoil of the 300. I do not mind it in a 308 or 06 but when approaching the magnum calibers the featherweight stock is no bueno for me.
Typo....
Meant 03A3....
I have owned and shot many a 03 , 03A1 and 03A3 , with all three stock styles.
I prefer the straight stock of the 03 and 03A3 , over the "C" stock or the "Scant Grip" style of stocks.
Fixed my post

Again...
My post reflects my liking and experiences , which may be different than others.....
Andy

allways heard the cartridge debate, my dogs better than your dog. 270 vs. 280 vs 280AI. so i bought a cronyograph and 2 ruger # 1 rifles one 280 one 270, also 280 AI 24"barrel that was rechambered 280 rem. the crony tells the story to my satisfaction. the 270 wins 150 gr. accubond at 3100 fps. the 280 hit a wall at just over 3000 fps increase powder charge .5 grain at a time no increase in velocity, classic pressure sighns flattened primers etc. 280 AI not quite up to 3100fps, needs 26" barrel to beat 270. this proves, not much. different rifles different chambers etc. traded off 280, sold 280 AI. reminds me of 2 brothers i knew in wyoming 338 winchester shooters, if you did'nt have a 338 you didn't have an elk rifle. avid meat hunters. wont shoot a bull because cows taste better.

If I'm shooting paper at 800 m I think I would like a 6.5 Creedmoor but if I was shooting an elk 270 might work and 280 is probably better. But not as practical shooting distances like 400m i
I believe 270 with his power would be a better choice. Accuracy difference is negligible.

Knew to an old timer in Springfield. He claimed to have killed more than 500 deer through the years, especially the hard times of the 40's when he was young. Said deer season was open year round in Lane County. Claimed this number was to feed his family and neighbors whose men were off to war or working in the woods away from town. Ammunition in larger calibers just wasn't available. He said he killed the majority with .22 Long Rifle. He had pictures of commercial fishing off the Oregon coast and Alaska. Was featured on a local bank commercial in his drift boat. Said he was well known by all the Game Wardens First name was "Wally." Didn't question his integrity or challenge his facts of success with a a .22 Long Rifle.
Many deer shot with .22s are got by spotlighting or shooting from roads at deer caught in vehicle head lights. Close range. Deer shot in the head.

I lived briefly in Alcea area, coastal Mts Oregon. Heard many stories about folks living largely on poached deer in 1940s when young men were off to war. There were no jobs in Alcea area. You had a big garden and poached or your family starved. Apparently hunting and fishing were not open season then in Benton county, but Sheriff's deputies, who did most of the game law enforcement, exercized discretion when they knew the family needed the meat. Here's my favorite story from that era. The version I heard included the name of the boy and deputy.

The teenage boy poached about a deer a week to support his mother and several younger siblings. The boy was the oldest son. The father was away fighting in WWII. The family had an old pickup the boy used to hunt and transport the deer. He kept half a cord of wood in the back he used to cover the deer carcass while transporting it. One night the boy got his deer, covered the carcass with wood, and started for home. But he almost immediately got pulled over by the deputy sheriff. The boy got out of the truck and came and stood next to the sheriff, who was standing right next to the wood-covered deer. The smell of the bloody deer was very strong. The boy was afraid the deputy might smell it and inspect the pile of wood. Fortunately, the deputy was focused on a defective tail light. While the deputy was chewing the boy out for the tail light, the boy noticed blood was leaking from the bed of the truck and pooling near the deputy's shoe. The boy prayed silently, Don't look down. Don't look down.

The deputy didn't look down. And the chewing out came to a close with, "Well, I'll just give you a warning this time." The kid was elated. He had kept his cool and fooled the deputy!

Then came the parting words from the deputy. "Now, you get this load of wood home before it bleeds to death."

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top