JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am heading to North Central Montana in a month or so. I have taken a few deer there over the years, mostly with my .270WSM and all with Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tip bullets. They have worked fine. This year, I am tempted to go with a standard .270 Win shooting Hornady Interlock 130 gr bullets. I have found a load that shoots very accurately at around 2900 fps out of the 22" barrel. Since I believe shot placement is the most important when it comes to humanely dispatching game, the question is: should I go with the proven performance of the Nosler (they are quickly becoming prohibitively expensive, but I still have some) and see if I can match the accuracy of the Hornady bullet, or go with the Hornady bullet (I have a good supply of them). I sort of feel like hundreds (or thousands) of deer are taken every year with the Hornady bullet and as long as shot placement is good, it should work fine. But I would appreciate hearing others opinions and experience using the Hornady 130 gr Interlock in a .270 Win on deer. (They can be on the large side when they feed on wheat, lentils and peas) Thanks!

It is what Hornady uses in their American Whitetail line. I have used interlocks a lot deer hunting in non magnum rifles with great results. I consider them controlled expansion as opposed to rapid expansion ballistic tips such as the Nosler or Hornady SSTs. For your magnum, I would say the extra speed would better suit a bonded or monometal for ranges under 200 to limit over expansion of those cup and cores, but probably not an issue for deer sized game.

I'm highly biased toward Swift's Scriocco line, VERY accurate and terminal performance is excellent at a wide range of velocities! They also fly very strait and buck the wind very well! I use them almost exclusively in all my hunting rifles/loads now!

I'm highly biased toward Swift's Scriocco line, VERY accurate and terminal performance is excellent at a wide range of velocities! They also fly very strait and buck the wind very well! I use them almost exclusively in all my hunting rifles/loads now!
They are sweet but pretty pricey. I was using Nosler Accubonds for awhile, but just can't justify the added expense over standard cup and core for CXP2 game.

Interlocks will work fine. I originally developed a 140gr Accubond load for my 270 and it is very effective on game up to Elk. I wish the bullets were cheaper but how many do I really shoot now that the load is developed? Now that all components are so expensive, I tend to practice with .223, 22lr and a bunch with pcp air rifles. I only shoot 5-15 shots a year through most of my big game rifles. Use what you have confidence in.

Thanks for the feedback. I was out this morning and shot my loads from a bench and over the chronograph. First 3 shot group at 100 yards chronographed 2985 fps, was unbelievable.

D329B667-B26B-4C56-BB91-9719DAC65DFE.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top