JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh and to answer your question. Even though I have a Ruger Mark series in 30.06 I would recommend Winny first, Remmy 2nd, Ruger 3rd. Purely preference. If you could find a pre 64 Winny hands down that would be my recommendation.

As the title,says im gonna,build a 264 win mag ... But the problem is i can,only find a few ruger m77s and Winchester modle 70s ... So do i start the buld on a ruger or Winchester?

Are you trying to stick with a controlled round feed action? If so, I'd try to find a used M70 classic or current production action. The Classic will use the original trigger design while the current production guns are of better quality IMO. Either handle gas better than the pre-64 actions and have a flange on the bolt to keep gasses from escaping into your face. Another reason I'd use these actions is the amount of aftermarket support, especially scope bases.

A couple other options to consider would be a commercial Mauser action or a Montana Rifle Company action. The MRC actions follow the M70 footprint and general look.

Actually, I just wanted to mention that I got one (a Winny 70) in 264 Mag. because its peculiar that someone would want to do a build of rifle build in such an odd caliber that I just purchased. Mine is going toward a 300 Win Mag build. I have a Nice Kreiger 5R heavy barrel and a B&C aluminum skeleton stock. Although this 1964 rifle (the 264 I purchased) doesnt have a "G" before the serial number its a push feed version with a serial in the 723K's so its the oldest of the new version receiver. I bought a Winny 70 Classic a while back, mid 80's early 90's production in 300 WQeatherby mag and was going to use it for the donor but then I came across 140 300 Weatherby cases for (plus a pile of other stuff) for $50. Just rambling is all.

Mauser is a great action. I was concerned about the actual action length as it would be nice to not have to single feed custom reloads that may need to be loaded a little longer to get that buggy hole accuracy. With the Winny 70 the "magnum" action size was created to handle the 375 H&H magnum cartridges and any of the same length or shorter. Cartridge Overall length (COL) is standardized at 3.6 inches while the standard or "long action" is based on the 30-06 Springfield cartridge with a COL of 3.340 inches. I discovered this issue while working with COL on my Browning BBR in 7mag using Berger target bullets that ended up being too long for my mag well. I just considered that if I'm going to spend the money on a build I may as well make it the best it can be.

I assume this is going to be a paper puncher or a harvester of non dangerous game. If that is the case a crf action is certainly not needed. although they are cool. I can't think of a single instance where a non crf action has cost me a game animal. The symmetry of the Rem 700 action helps to make a accurate rifle and they can be had cheaper in most cases. If it were me I would be considering a 6.5x284 instead and do away with that silly belted case of the 264 mag. Opinions are like lower body orifices though so there's that. Sounds like a fun project.

Last Edited:
I'm hip and discussing crf vs pf, pre 64, post 64 (with Winny 70's) is like arguing ford or chevy, not that theres any arguing going on mind you. I just wanted something that would shoot a good heavy high BC round with extreme accuracy. In playing with the 7mag and different bullets and loads I stumbled across a load that will produce one hole groups but its with the Nosler 120 partition. The 7mag pictured.

BBR.jpg

I was gonna go with the 264 win cuz i felt that it would give a little more lomg range punch then th 6.5 creedmoor but not give quite so much recoil .. I was also thinking about the 6.5-06 ... Ill look into yhe 6.5 284. Can you exspain what would be wrong with a belted case?

The belt is just an unnecessary design feature these days. If reloading for accuracy, one should not use the belt to headspace like originally intended, therefore the belt is superfluous.

Build it on a Savage action. The 264 WM is a great performer, but barrel life isn't that great since it's very overbore. The Savage will let you re-barrel it on your kitchen table. Also they have great triggers and there is a wide variety of stock and chassis selections.

If you build on a Remington action consider going the Remage direction. It's a system that lets you attach barrels to your Remington action with a barrel nut like a Savage. Unlike the Savage you will want a good gunsmith (name starts with a "V" and ends in a "y" - ask forum member @Velzey if you can't figure out who I'm talking about) true it up for you. The Savage system is self adjusting, but due it's nature not as smooth as a classic bolt setup.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top