JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have purchased a Savage Model 11 in .260 Remington. I am wanting to know if anyone has a good idea of what to load for it. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have loaded about 10 different loads but are all large groups.

Personally I would recommend trying some IMR4831 and some 140g Sierra match kings for punching paper. If you're using it for hunting then the Berger VLD's are nice for the .264 to get some range out of it either in 130 or 140g flavor

I have been looking in to a .260 build, and many folks have said that H-4350 was thier go to powder for the .260.

If you can find all the parts I need, I will build my rifle, and work up loads, and then let you know what works. Have you tried some searches?

Sorry I can't be more help.

Just completed my build of a 260. I formerly had a 6.5x55 in a Tikka rifle and was not happy with the groupings. The 260 is doing much much better. My rifle is a Stevens (Savage) action, Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock, Timney Trigger and heavy magnum contour Shilen Chromoly barrel which I put together myself. Right now I am using 123 Hornady A-Max bullets over H4895 that is about 1-1.5grs off max and getting 0.5 MOA three shot groups at 100. Normally I shoot 5 shot groups ideally at 200/300, but this is barrel break in. H4350 would be a better powder. I have that, just have more H4895 on hand... and with the powder shortages... trying to keep the H4350. H4895 gives up about 110 fps less than H4350. Alliant RE17 is also a good powder for the 260. In the 6.5x55 the 107 SMKs, 120 SMKs and 140 SGK were very accurate. Never shot the 140/142 SMKs. The 139 Laupa Sencars were not all that for groups, but retain velocity well due their low BC. Would suspect them to be good in the 260 as well. However, the Hornady 123s are a new offering and I have not been disappointed... cost less than the green box stuff too.

Russ L. I load for two different 260's. Both have shot well with H-4831sc powder , & either Nosler 140 grn. Custom Competition or 142 Sierra Matchkings. Also my girlfriend's Savage 10 Predator Max-1, puts 130 Nosler Accubonds into small groups with RL-19.
Idaho-45

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top