JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently considered purchasing one of these guns but after a short search it looks like the supply of cheap surplus czech or yugo flare stock is dwindling and running up prices. they are still out there but i dont recall what places were still holding

As awesome as 26.5mm flares are, the cheaper and more common (and arguably more useful) option is the 12ga flares everyone uses on their boats. I knew some people who had boats at the marina, I would put it out there that I was looking for old 12ga flares (SOLAS flares need to be replaced every 5 years) and people would give me boxes of them. I would give them a 6-pack (of beer) or some other token of appreciation, and more people would call... I have MFTs of 12ga flares, I usually blow off a few every 4th of july. Even then, you can usually get new flares at boat supply, and walmart.

Thanks. I'm tempted on a 26.5mm flare gun, but with the flares being spendy enough on their own the 25 dollar hazmat shipping fee really kicks the price up too. I might just go for it anyway, I really want some parachute illumination flares, do they make those in the 12 gauge flares?

They were cheap about 10 years ago, someone imported a bunch of czech army surplus.

I've ordered some from this place (long time ago though) and looks like they still have some in stock.

Dan's Sporting Goods Ammo Page

ETA:

THey have some parachute illum rounds there too and they are quite bright. I got some 40mm hand launch parachute flares too once and they are not as bright.

Expect a few duds, I'd say probably 1 out of 10 dont fire. If you want fresh stuff, go to a marine outfitter, they have SOLAS stuff.

An example of marine stuff:

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|135|320544&id=151233

Thanks. I'm tempted on a 26.5mm flare gun, but with the flares being spendy enough on their own the 25 dollar hazmat shipping fee really kicks the price up too. I might just go for it anyway, I really want some parachute illumination flares, do they make those in the 12 gauge flares?

No unfortunately, 12ga just isn't big enough... to get into parachute flares you're looking either at the 26.5, 37 or 40mm flares (40mm is NFA)

I recently picked up a 37mm, found places that sell the ammo for it, but havn't made the decision to buy yet. I have a whole bunch of empty less than lethal hulls from a law enforcement class I helped out with some years ago.

Yea, I finally found a 37 for the right price, I've been wanting one since I was like 12, I wouldn't pay the $500 a lot of people are asking for them these days. L&G weaponry carries them at a much more reasonable price than spikes (also, the spikes is cut from billet and is about 4x heavier than the normal 37s. L&G sells a copy of the old cobray launcher:

37mm Flare Launcher

Hey Dudes! I am new here! My first post.

I got my flare gun from apexgunparts.com , they are currently about $50 and up. I also bought my flares from Dansammo.com. If you order the $100 pack, it comes with 1 box of 10 of each flare, red, green and parachute. You can also add a box of 10 blue smoke for $25. My total was $135 and I assumed shipping was included. Not bad for 40 flares.

If you have any other deals or bargins, let me know. I want some red rain, orange smoke and black smoke. I have not seen any other options as of yet. Thought they might have green rain, but guess not.

Thanks my dudes!

J

I did know about military shooters offering the other colors, and as you mentioned, not as well priced. I sent Dans an email to see if they can get them, so we will see what they have to say. May have to bit the bullet but I think the black smoke will be cool.

Anyone know if the smokes work under water?

Let me be the first to say the illumination flares will set the hay meadow on fire! It was bright enough you could see it during the day no problem, matter of fact so well a guy turned off the highway and followed the flare to see what was going on.

Turns out I was signaling for help to fight the fire! He did a good job of getting it out. So I was telling him about these and I got his number and we texting now he is ordering a gun and some flares.

My sister just moved to Kalama, Wa not 3 months ago! Might have to pay you a visit and help you shoot those flares! haha

Hey Dudes! I am new here! My first post.

I got my flare gun from apexgunparts.com , they are currently about $50 and up. I also bought my flares from Dansammo.com. If you order the $100 pack, it comes with 1 box of 10 of each flare, red, green and parachute. You can also add a box of 10 blue smoke for $25. My total was $135 and I assumed shipping was included. Not bad for 40 flares.

If you have any other deals or bargins, let me know. I want some red rain, orange smoke and black smoke. I have not seen any other options as of yet. Thought they might have green rain, but guess not.

Thanks my dudes!

J

Here are some 26.5mm launched smoke flares Flares 26.5mm - Military Shooters LLC - Flares 26.5mm, Military Shooters LLC

Almost every boating supply place I have been to has hand held or ground placed Orange smoke flares,

I have not seen any other colored smoke flares for sale, but would also love have 1/2 dozen of dark colored, thick, long burn smoke flares

Problem with the smoke flares is the amount of smoke they put out is heavily dependent on size, 26.5 will give you a smoke signal, but really is underwhelming after that.

Also, I know I liked to a company earlier that sells the etcetera launchers, I would like to say that the ETC launchers suck, don't buy one. (I already made the mistake of picking one up, pile of garbage) The RPB launcher, if you can find one is the one to get, while it is heavier, it's also much better built.

Here is the deal of the century on flares. Dan is the man. He has all 7 flares, black, orange and blue smoke, parachute, red rain, red and green. He just doesn't have all of them listed on his website. You will have to call to order them. They still offer any 3 boxes for $100 and a 4th box for $25. The shipping is included in the price of the flares. However, he has to charge the $20 hazmat fee, which is HALF what the other guys charge for hazmat. Not to mention they add shipping on top of their flare prices. So if you buy all 7 boxes, it's $245 or add an 8th box and it's $270. Which would be $3.50 per round or $3.375 per round respectively.

I have a few hand held flares for emergency S&R purposes, but I am not seeing the need for flare guns for purposed other than boating , S&R for prepping, Although as an ex-soldier I can seed the need for dark or thick long burning ground smoke items.

SO where I am going what am I missing here in my though process for these flare guns, shtf one of the last things I want is for people to know where I am unless I am in distress in in a non -shtf situation, in shtf you may be a lot better off when you think you are in distress than to call attention to your positions.

Also does anyone know where you can get long burning ground based dense/thick smoke grenade type items???

I have an ALS Technologies smoke grenade unused. I paid an arm and a leg for it, but it seems to have been a good investment. These things have disappeared over night. I found this one on a table at a gun show. ALS is suppose to be law enforcement only, but somehow somewhere one got lose. Actually 12 of them, guys before me got the first 11.

Anyways, I like the 26.5 just to shoot for the hell of it. $3.5 a round is steep, but it's no more than the flip of a trigger on a .50 cal rifle.

The flares you want to get are like the ones the cops use for road emergencies. You just look up your local police supply joint that will deal with civilians and you can get them there. Or, if you happen to know a cop, might ask what they do with their old flares.

As for shtf, I'd say if you had some badies right on top of you, a para flare might be what you need. Something to make them look up. shtf is so far off my radar, I could careless. All I got to do is get to the woods. Worry about the rest later.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top