JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was buying equipment at a ranch today and the rancher showed me a very well stocked reloading room. powder cans by the hundreds, cases of primers and boxes of bullets everywhere. But it is all 25-30 years old. It is still usable? Salable?

Last Edited:
Hell yes to both!
Some powders lose a percentage of their energy in time - the effect is less pronounced if they are properly stored in a cool, dark place. The price should reflect this and the risk clearly to the buyer. Most will be just fine, some won't be as energetic. The buyer *must* do proper load work-ups.
It affects load data, but load recipes from the '80s vs today are not the same as most powders have had their chemistry improved or adjusted.
For example, I have purchased 60 year old powder (H870 surplus) and it was great for plinking loads. I was 200 FPS less than fresh N570 for the same bullet

The price should reflect this and the risk clearly to the buyer.
What's funny is when you see cans of 40+ year old powder at gun shows, and they're wanting new prices. :confused:

I agree though, if it's been stored right it should be fine. I've used a lot of old components. I think I might even have a can or two of WWII powder in my stash somewhere. I've also run into some that went bad as well, so you have to be careful.

I found a 40 year old can of Unique when I moved I loaded a few 45acp rounds with it and no misfires or variations in accuracy or how each shot felt.

I was buying equipment at a ranch today and the rancher showed me a very well stocked reloading room. powder cans by the hundreds, cases of primers and boxes of bullets everywhere. But it is all 25-30 years old. It is still usable? Salable?
I'd say you just hit the jackpot.

Generally with powder if it still has a solvent smell and no "rust" present it's good. Primers generally if the packaging looks good with no oil or decay stains they will work. Bottom line, you place your bets and take your chances. If it was me, I wouldn't buy it to resale I'd figure it was a score and use it in my own ammo. Two reasons, all things firearms are uncertian these days so a stash is money in the bank and if there is an issue it goes no farther than me.

If it was stored in non air conditioned facility for like a barn or a garage be careful hot and cold can affect powder and primers and moisture getting in if they're not seal properly can damage them. Too much to tell you here.

Thanks to everyone for the reassurance on using older powders.
I've got a few cans of powder that must be 35-50 (60?) years old.
They've been stored in a cool dry place for a very long time.
I'm sure they'll be fine.
...guess I need to get into reloading and shoot this stuff up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top