JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Deer, pronghorn, medium-sized game and smaller generally, I'd say.

It's pretty close to your 6.5 CM. Where your 6.5 CM is going to shoot a 130 grain .264" diameter bullet about 2,700 fps (ish), the 25-06 is going to shoot a 120 grain .257" diameter bullet about 2,900 fps (ish).

I got a 25/06 single shot I had to buy it in a deal to get a 6.5c Hells Canyon . What do I do with the 25/06 and what is it good for ?
Its good for anything the 6.5CM is, they are nearly identical rounds. If you hunt the CM holds a tiny advantage in using heavier bullet weights for penetration on large game like elk. If your target shooting the 2506 holds a tiny advantage in a flatter trajectory (from what I see in ballistics info, Ive never shot a CM... but do a 2506).

I'd use the 25-06 as a truck gun. I used my FN built mouser for hunting deer this year. The 25-06 is a ne excellent small to medium game rifle in my opinion. I need to dedicate a rifle to a truck gun myself.

The 25-06 is conceptually opposite of the 6.5 CM. Where the 6.5 CM is built to achieve its performance from beingefficient (short powder column, short OAL for existing short actions, fast twist), the 25-06 thrives in its inefficiency. It has 2/3 of an inch more case length, but a slow twist. This limits you to lighter bullets than the case could handle otherwise.

However, regardless of how you get there, they are basically useful on the same class of game. If you are an average open country shooter where you don't shoot much more than 350-400 yards, the 25-06 is much flatter, especially with the 100 to 115gr bullets. This requires a lot less thought at those ranges. Zero at 200, hold on hair out to 400. Beyond that, the slow twist and low BC betray its powder capacity with rapid loss of energy and poor wind deflection.

The 6.5 CM is better up close with mild velocity, loses a bit in the middle, but wins at long range. Drop being the easiest constant, the ability to get through the wind and higher SD make the 6.5 a bit more versatile.

Deer, pronghorn, medium-sized game and smaller generally, I'd say.

It's pretty close to your 6.5 CM. Where your 6.5 CM is going to shoot a 130 grain .264" diameter bullet about 2,700 fps (ish), the 25-06 is going to shoot a 120 grain .257" diameter bullet about 2,900 fps (ish).

And in a Single Shot (Browning B78: 26" bbl.), it will launch a 100 grain bullet at 3480. Thus the deserved interest.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top