JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK guys. I have figured what make and model I want for (my new target) shooting / (deer rifle that my boy will use). Now should it be 25-06 with a ton of velocity or the 7mm-08 with more power?? I had my mine made up on the 25-06 until I started looking at ballistics now I am in question. What would be better for deer hunting?? We reload so I can make just about any thing up. There are a ton more options with bullets for 7mm. Also I have read to get the most out of a 25-06 you need a 24" barrel. What about the 7mm-08?? Thanks guys.:cool:

i didnt see you where in michigan till just now

here in oregon the brush is heavy and the light bullet dosnt do well

you will almost never get a shot over 75 yards

and the 06 dosnt really start to shine till 150-200

i didnt see you where in michigan till just now

here in oregon the brush is heavy and the light bullet dosnt do well

you will almost never get a shot over 75 yards

and the 06 dosnt really start to shine till 150-200

No problem. We cut lanes out to 200 yards + ever deer season. The spike I shot this year with my 300 mag was over 250 yards. I hate killing deer just before dark on the last day!! I have done it multiple times but you end up with a flash light in your mouth to gut it!! If I would have been more patient on opening day I would have had a nice sized 8 point to go with it. @ 49 years old you would think I would no better than to get exited!! :s0155:

No personal experience with the .25-06. But, it's a bigger bullet and traveling faster than a .243, so you know it's a decent deer cartridge when using the proper bullets.
Bought the wife a Ruger compact in 7mm-08. Due to the short barrel on the Compact, I've had a very tough time duplicating factory ammo's velocity. (not a fault of the caliber.) Last year she shot a spike elk at approximately 80 yards. Bullet (Nosler Partition, Federal Premium) went in thru the ribs on the left side and exited after demolishing the upper most right front leg bone. Left a good sized exit hole. Doesn't kick too hard either, even in this small rifle.

It's a great cartridge.

if you hunt in brush than i would go with the 7mm-08 because it will do better in short barrel but if you take long shots (over 150yrds) I would go with the 25-06. both are about the same for recoil

Both are great cartridges. The 7mm-08 gives you a significant step up for larger deer, elk (at medium range) or boar. For deer, they won't know the difference.

If easy handling is a concern, the 7mm-08 can be packaged shorter. If you're in this class of cartridge (I know you had your mind made up) you cold consider the 6.5-55 Swede or the .260 Remington as well. Just to add to your confusion!

Bob

A 7mm-08 was the first centerfire rifle that I owned as a kid. I loved that gun & still hunt deer with it to this day. I've gone through numerous hunting rifles from 30-06 to 308 to 270 to 7mm UM, & my favorite (for deer) is the 7mm-08. It's a great caliber & you can get a wide range of bullets for the caliber. For deer I use the Winchester Supreme 140gr ballistic silvertip ammo. I seems to get the job done. My gun has also taken down 4 bull elk...all but one were finished with the 1st shot...the other was put down with broken front shoulders & then finished with the 2nd shot. It definitely isn't a 300 cal but if you only take well-placed shots (which should be the case for ANY animal you shoot) then it shouldn't be a problem hunting deer & even elk.

Sorry...I have no personal experience w/ the 25-06.

How about you get the best of both worlds....speed and power without magnum recoil?
Have you looked into the .280 Rem or .280 Ackley?
If recoil is an issue, the 7mm-08 is a good choice. So is the .260 Rem.
I hear the 25-06 is harsh on barrels and they don't last long.

25/06 is a good round, if you shoot varmints up to deer. 7mm is more versatile, more bullets, more choices. 7-08 is good, 280 Rem is better. 280 improved(Ackley) is amazing: almost 7mm mag performance.

.25-06 if you want to hunt deer and varmints at longer ranges. Not real great for anything larger than deer though. 7mm-08 would be a better "all around" choice for big game.

25 for longer range deer.....7-08 for shorter range deer and possible elk. The 25 will take care of deer out to 400 with the right bullet and your ability is there...I have seen it first hand.

This vs This. That vs That. :s0129:

Any medium bore caliber will be adequate for most North American game and will do it's job if you do yours. I have hunted with lots of calibers up to .375 H&H, but now have only two rifles, a 6.5x55 and an custom FN Mauser 7x57, and both will easily shoot under an inch at 100 yds. I never felt handicapped with either and have taken plenty of deer, wild hogs, and coyotes with both. I killed an elk with the 7x57. In fact, the two guns are redundant; ought to get rid of one.

And don't pay any attention to those published "energy" figures you see. That "energy" number is a bunch of horse pucky. It is just a theoretical calculation equal to one-half mass (i.e. weight) times velocity squared. It puts a big premium on velocity and very little on weight. An x-ray particle at your Dr.'s office has more energy than any rifle bullet and you are still alive.

Stop worrying about minor differences in caliber and just go shoot. Use enough gun, hit him right, and the animal ain't gonna know the difference. Dead is dead. If you don't hit him right then it doesn't make a darn what caliber you use. Where you hit 'em and what bullet you use is way more important than what caliber you use.

Pay no attention to some things you read on these boards if it doesn't ring true. One guy here said "the 06 dosnt really start to shine till 150-200." Sorry dude, I don't know what that means. Maybe he thinks the .30-06 Springfield will kill better at 200 yards than at 50. Every .30-06 I ever used was pretty deadly even at 50 yards.

That's my two cents worth.

Thanks guys for all the in put. It is going to be a real toss up between the 2 rifles for me. At this point the 7mm-08 has a edge only because I can load what ever I want. I do like the heavier bullets for deer hunting, But this will be my target shooting rifle and my boys deer rifle. Thank you to all that has replied!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top