JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are some advantages for match shooters with better triggers. Aside from being able to adjust roll/creep (in or out, your preference) and being able to set the weight (either single or dual stages), there is durability. Quality triggers will hold their settings over time. This is good from a match perspective as the trigger is the same every time you pick up the gun and from a rules perspective if you have to make a minimum trigger weight. Not many triggers will do this for you and the ones that do will cost $$$. Geissele triggers are renowned for these characteristics and that speaks to their popularity with match shooters. If none of this has value to you, then don't buy them. Do what you like and enjoy the ride.

There is a point of diminishing returns for everyone. Giving a 5 year old a G.Loomis rod instead of a Snoopy pole is an example. If someone is a Snoopy pole type of shooter, that's cool. No point throwing money at it for nothing.

Is the Ugly Stik the grown up version of the snoopy pole? I love my Ugly Stiks.

Confession.
I have a fancy trigger.
It came stock on "The Last AR I Will Ever Buy"™ from the factory. :rolleyes:
A DDM4 V7 Pro. I liked the barrel and rifle length gas. The damn Geissele SD3G trigger was a bonus. And a learning curve.
I like distance targets and took a minute to realize this wasn't exactly a "2 stage" trigger - but it was workable. The break is fabulous.
The hyper reset took some getting used to. (The reset seems longer than the pull to wall - and drop.)
They call it a 3 gun trigger - but I just call it dangerous. But fun. :)

(You saw the video, right? Who needs a binary...)

Why a fancy trigger? Because the guys and gals over at TriggerTech are really nice to work with. They had a massive sale on Easter, btw, which is when I grabbed mine.

I've used many of the Ugly Stiks over the years and they sure served their purpose!:s0060:

Some of us got beat with an ugly stick, and some of us beat the ugly stick. :D

They are a good inexpensive fishin' pole tho and they certainly serve a purpose. Like Timney and other high end triggers, a lot of folks don't need one to have fun or see the utility. I can catch fish with the $30 ugly stick sitting in my rafters, but as a goober who will happily spend 10+ hours swinging the rod, the $200 Loomis rods make you way less tired at the end of the day. I'm pretty sure my 7' Loomis crank bait rod with its reel & line weigh less than the 6' Ugly Stick casting rod by itself. For a few hours fishing, its nothing, but all day you are way less worn out. I'd imagine that those high dollar triggers are similiar - if you're going for max accuracy, or long shooting sessions, or just like having "fine" stuff its cool.

FWIW, I stick with stock triggers, or make minor mods to the stock stuff like polishing a connector / sear or swapping a spring.

I've seen old men with Zebco 33 setups that'd put a hurting on Scott Martin or Kevin VanDamme, and I've seen guys that would outshoot someone using an old Mosin vs a guy with a high dollar AR - the Indian Vs Arrow argument certainly has a lot of merit.

Confession.
I have a fancy trigger.
It came stock on "The Last AR I Will Ever Buy"™ from the factory. :rolleyes:
A DDM4 V7 Pro. I liked the barrel and rifle length gas. The damn Geissele SD3G trigger was a bonus. And a learning curve.
I like distance targets and took a minute to realize this wasn't exactly a "2 stage" trigger - but it was workable. The break is fabulous.
The hyper reset took some getting used to. (The reset seems longer than the pull to wall - and drop.)
They call it a 3 gun trigger - but I just call it dangerous. But fun. :)

(You saw the video, right? Who needs a binary...)
you did better than me, my DDM4 V7 LAW came with a grindy mil spec....

I have a Geiselle SSA 2 stage on one Ar, it's nice, but I'm more than happy with my $89 drop in single stage Rise triggers

I'm a big fan of the ALG ACT triggers, and there are a few CMC single stage drop in triggers in the safe, as well. I dont have any cockpit time with the LaRue, but have heard nothing but good things about them for the price. My retired USMC armorer son is all over the Geissele triggers and keeps trying to talk me into one. Haven't jumped off that pier yet, but he's rather persuasive....lol. It's what he runs, really sold on it. Run what you like, and enjoy the experience..!!

I'm a big fan of the ALG ACT triggers, and there are a few CMC single stage drop in triggers in the safe, as well. I dont have any cockpit time with the LaRue, but have heard nothing but good things about them for the price. My retired USMC armorer son is all over the Geissele triggers and keeps trying to talk me into one. Haven't jumped off that pier yet, but he's rather persuasive....lol. It's what he runs, really sold on it. Run what you like, and enjoy the experience..!!

Ditto ALG ACT. BTW, the G in ALG if Geissele as in the Missus. I don't think I'd pick the LaRue single stage over the ACT at the same price, but if I had started with the LaRue I might feel just the opposite.

Been reading up on the LaRue two stage and it is a huge bang for the buck at $80. A lot of people who own it and the SSA and SSA-E feel it's pretty close to the SSA.

First stage is a bit longer for the LaRue. Possibly the only real deficiency in comparison is that the Geissele's reset much quicker, so would be better for rapid fire. For precision shooting likely same-same when you have enough trigger time put in.

I'd really like to get one of the LaRue 2 stage triggers and give it a go. Crap, then I'd need a new rifle build to put it in....what's a guy to do....lol.

Geisselles don't even stack up well against drop in triggers as a general use carbine trigger. You are paying somewhat for a battle proven name, also reliability. People are claiming the Larue 2 stage triggers are close for a fraction of the price ($80) the brownells g2s is also a good option on sale at $120. The GRF is also fun if you just want to GOFAST! However if you want the best bang :rolleyes: for your buck for a crisp single stage, you have to go drop in.

All depends what you are trying to do.

I have come across so much horse-hockey on TTAG that I renamed it "The Lies Told for Dollars."
Have a Rise, CMC, two LaRue and one Geissele. IMO, the Geissele is the best of the bunch with a better feel than the LaRues (small, but noticeable). I will not again purchase a "drop-in" trigger for my ARs. They're nice, but cannot compare to the LaRue or Geissele.

The damn Geissele SD3G trigger was a bonus.
After watching that vid, I want one!
Some of us got beat with an ugly stick, and some of us beat the ugly stick.
Usually I received beatings by the hand, for dramatic effect, the belt, and in exigent circumstances, a stick or shoe.
I'd really like to get one of the LaRue 2 stage triggers and give it a go. Crap, then I'd need a new rifle build to put it in....what's a guy to do....lol.
Worth every penny.

I have a BCM enhanced or whatever it's called, a Toms Tactical that is pretty much the same thing.
My SR762 came with the Ruger 2 stage trigger that is pretty nice.
Then I dropped in a CMC 3.5# single stage in my AR9 and really like that one.

I feel that sweet pain. I just bought a pistol upper from a forum member and now need to build out one of my spare lowers as a pistol.

I just ordered a kit from PSA that includes their version of the ACT, the
Enhanced Polished Trigger (EPT). It will be interesting to compare it to the ACT. They are currently out of stock except for lower kits, so I can't get a current price on just the trigger.

The majority of my ARs have Geissele triggers in them and while I have used BCM PNT, ALG ACT and SIONICS EMST (which are all basically the same) they are no comparison to a Geissele. That said I've never paid $240 for as I wait for their larger sales such as Black Friday. I have a few SSA that I paid $154. I've never paid over 2 bills for any of them including their Hi-Speed National Match.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews