JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Geisselles don't even stack up well against drop in triggers as a general use carbine trigger. You are paying somewhat for a battle proven name, also reliability. People are claiming the Larue 2 stage triggers are close for a fraction of the price ($80) the brownells g2s is also a good option on sale at $120. The GRF is also fun if you just want to GOFAST! However if you want the best bang :rolleyes: for your buck for a crisp single stage, you have to go drop in.

All depends what you are trying to do.

Looking the at the drop ins over, the two stage drop ins are mostly in the same price range as my SSA-E, and all the single stage triggers are more costly than the ACT.

I guess it's all about application. I'm not enamored with drop ins because I like access to clean, lubricate, and if needed to repair parts. I also worry about how tightly they are packed in terms of potential to get jams from debries entering through the trigger area as well as accidentally when the receivers are open for cleaning or field maintenance. But, those are just my thoughts due to how I prioritize the priorities of my firearms.

The Brownells and LaRue triggers look pretty promising. Will be building out a pistol lower soon and will consider their offerings.

Enjoyment.

I could shoot a Colt AR-16 with a crappy Milspec trigger and hit about anything I wanted back many years ago. Now, I'm old, I can't hit bubblegum in comparison. A Geissle Trigger gives me just a tiny more omph that I can easily afford. I still can't shoot my $2000+ AR-15s anything close to what I could do with a beater, near shot out, Army Colt of years back, but I do get some enjoyment out of it.

If you don't have experience with 'improved' triggers - it's hard to compare, but my brother has a giessele single stage that is significantly lighter than mil spec and it breaks very cleanly. I prefer the Larue 2 stage. Both break significantly crisper and lighter than mil spec triggers.

I'd recommend getting a Larue trigger and comparing.

If you don't have experience with 'improved' triggers - it's hard to compare, but my brother has a giessele single stage that is significantly lighter than mil spec and it breaks very cleanly. I prefer the Larue 2 stage. Both break significantly crisper and lighter than mil spec triggers.

I'd recommend getting a Larue trigger and comparing.

Your opinion - how is the LaRue 2 stage when you want to shoot quickly as you would a single stage?

Ok, I'll throw some fuel onto the fire. My own worthless take on extreme high end gear: there are pool cues that retail for many thousands of dollars like the Mike Bender Smithsonian Edition cue for $60,000, yet here's a guy running a billiard table with a broom stick.

Ok, I'll throw some fuel onto the fire. My own worthless take on extreme high end gear: there are pool cues that retail for many thousands of dollars like the Mike Bender Smithsonian Edition cue for $60,000, yet here's a guy running a billiard table with a broom stick.

When I was a kid we had a cheap pool table with a warped top. Our queues were cheap as well and far from straight. I could nail almost any shot on that table with those crappy queues, but to this day can't make all but the easiest shots on a good table.

So I feel like I can tell the difference in weight and smoothness of a cheap parts kit trigger vs a $60 dollar BCM trigger like this: BCM® PNT Trigger Assembly AR15

But I can't imagine how much better a geissle (sp?) trigger could be that'd be worth an extra $200. Maybe competitive shooting? I'm not sure I could tell a difference in that jump...

School me on why it's worth the extra coin.
Here I was thinking about dropping $300 on a double edge safety razor..

Most of my AR's wear Geissele. I also own a Python, Kidd 10/22, and my Ruger MK4 has the Volquartzen kit...

What it comes down to is "because I can".

Your opinion - how is the LaRue 2 stage when you want to shoot quickly as you would a single stage?

My opinion: I can consistently put 5 shots in a target in 1 second slapping the trigger very quickly. I don't believe a single stage would make that any faster. Trigger travel length is not longer, just two defined weights before the break. Reset isn't longer either.

I once drove a nail with a big rock, but I prefer a steel, finely manufactured hammer...but you that prefer the equivalent to rock/milspec triggers...ok, fine by me.

I use to drink house brand soft drinks too and convinced myself they were just as good as Coca-Cola, but way less pricey, mmmmmhhhhh, cheap tasting cola, yum....

I was looking at my rod lineup, and there are some definite trends. Anything I have to cast all day is a Loomis or St. Croix. Trolling/back bouncing/bottom fishing: Lamiglas.

Continuing the thread hijack - yep! I'm using the crap out of my wife's employee discount before we move in a few weeks getting the bass rods I want. I just snatched up a 7'1" crank bait rod and its like a feather. There's one rod left that I need to grab so I can throw big swim baits without fear of snapping a rod. My biggest disappointment - there are zero low profile baitcasters made in the US, so I'm opting for stuff made in Korea, Malaysia, or Japan over China.

I once drove a nail with a big rock, but I prefer a steel, finely manufactured hammer...but you that prefer the equivalent to rock/milspec triggers...ok, fine by me.

I use to drink house brand soft drinks too and convinced myself they were just as good as Coca-Cola, but way less pricey, mmmmmhhhhh, cheap tasting cola, yum....

Like most things in life it probably comes down to balance. I think there was a post earlier that stated something about a point of diminishing returns when it comes to price points. To your point, I personally wouldn't want to use a broomstick on my pool table, but I don't need a $5,000 cue to make my shots either.

AW,

OK, just for arguments sake: Are there diminishing returns if one is fabulously wealthy and doesn't care if he/she buys something well over market price or going rate or...?

I appreciate even the 1% like a good deal, but in that percentage some just spend wily-nily and never look back.

Continuing the thread hijack - yep! I'm using the crap out of my wife's employee discount before we move in a few weeks getting the bass rods I want. I just snatched up a 7'1" crank bait rod and its like a feather. There's one rod left that I need to grab so I can throw big swim baits without fear of snapping a rod. My biggest disappointment - there are zero low profile baitcasters made in the US, so I'm opting for stuff made in Korea, Malaysia, or Japan over China.
Now what makes you think we wanna hear about Ditch Pickle rods ?

:D

There's definitely a point of diminishing returns when it comes to AR triggers. I've shot quite a few aftermarket triggers, currently I have a Geissele G2S (paid $110), a KE Arms DMR drop-in (paid $125), and a few LaRue MBT-2S's (paid $80 each).

Honestly, the LaRue MBT-2S's are the best value out there IMO and they're what I'm putting in all my AR's going forward. Are there better triggers? Absolutely! But in my experience you're spending an extra $100-$150 for what is maybe a 10% improvement.

Two things to note:

1) I don't have much experience with single-stage triggers, so this only applies to 2-stage.
2) I've heard the LaRue single stage is nowhere near as nice as the LaRue MBT-2S.
good to know as i only have experience with single stage. ive shot a 2 stage and didnt like it nearly as much. single stager fo'life yo.

Huh. I guess I don't know the difference, never changed a trigger from what a rifle came with. Amounts of money have nothing to do with it in my case. I'm not a match grade shooter, merely a service grade shooter, a distinction that I'm comfortable enough with. I've had a few sporting rifles over the years that had triggers that were too sensitive for my liking. But I don't like a heavy trigger, either. I've got a couple of old Austrian Army rifles with crappy triggers but you get used to those after a couple of shots. Compared to those, stock AR triggers are a gift from Heaven.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top