JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is a good trigger, but the SSP is my favorite G trigger by a LARGE margin. That with a flat trigger is in my preferences, perfection.
I agree on the SSP.
And this trigger is definitely not that. This one is all about the follow up shots and can be downright ridiculous in and un-balanced rifle. (Un-expected muzzle climb, recoil alone can cause un-expected double taps, etc.) It takes a bit more finesse and can surprise you.

If you are going to use your rifle for bad situations (SHTF etc) better stay with the factory trigger. The after market triggers advertise "decreased lock time", not many even know what it is and fewer have the skills needed to make one pay off.

Every one of the super triggers sport a lighter hammer which will result is less energy being delivered to the firing pin and a decrease in energy or speed of the hammer will up your odds of a failure to fire when needed.

That is not the case with with SSA G triggers, they do not have light hammer or light hammer springs.

OK all of you aftermarket trigger lovers, I pulled the trigger :D on the Elftmann Tactical Service Trigger SERVICE, 4 - 7 lb pull, straight trigger. I like the ability to adjust the pull weight and take-up, sealed roller bearings and ease of installation. I also didn't want a match trigger at 3 to 3.5 lbs. That way I can crank the pull weight up after if I have to use it for self defense - nothing for attorney to use against me :rolleyes:. I almost missed this deal - they were listed as sold out yesterday, $169.
1597521320327.png

Thanks guys/gals, I think that this will make me happy and a better shooter with my AR15.

I didn't read all 10 pages of this thread, so pardon if this is useless info...

Going back to the OPs question about why expensive triggers, it's probably best to remember the old saying "Form follows function". Meaning, it depends and what you want to use the AR for.

I have a 10.5" AR pistol that I use for home defense, for informal 3-gun competition, and for plinking (when I could find and afford the ammo). I tried the standard mil-spec trigger that comes in an LPK and tho it suited for a trigger masher Snoop Dog thang, I hated the 12lb pull that had so much pre-travel take up creep, grittiness, and stops/hesitations before the break. It drove me nuts. So I replaced it with an ALG-ACT for $69 which is a highly polished mil-spec trigger and suitable for the task.

BTW, if one is a trigger masher, be sure to hold your AR sideways!! ;):p:D

My other AR was a varmint gun. I needed the utmost accuracy from it, and I have learned that, for me, a fine trigger makes a big diff in accuracy. However, I am only willing to spend so much, because I am a cheap SOB. So, the Velocity 3.5lb drop in trigger at $129 was just the ticket.

IMO, if people want to spend more and think it is worth it, I'm ok with that!!! I'll never need more than I currently use, and that's ok too...

Last Edited:
OK all of you aftermarket trigger lovers, I pulled the trigger :D on the Elftmann Tactical Service Trigger SERVICE, 4 - 7 lb pull, straight trigger. I like the ability to adjust the pull weight and take-up, sealed roller bearings and ease of installation. I also didn't want a match trigger at 3 to 3.5 lbs. That way I can crank the pull weight up after if I have to use it for self defense - nothing for attorney to use against me :rolleyes:. I almost missed this deal - they were listed as sold out yesterday, $169.
View attachment 736005

Thanks guys/gals, I think that this will make me happy and a better shooter with my AR15.
Why?

There are already designs that are proven.

G or Larue. its that simple.

I guess if you pull the trigger enough your trigger finger will get tired after a while using a mil-spec trigger. But if you really think about it unless you are shooting competition it's kind of silly to pay $240 for a trigger just to get warm and fuzzies from it but if like to feel warm and fuzzy to each their own right.

Last Edited:
I guess if you pull the trigger enough your trigger finger will get tired after a while using a mil-spec trigger.
No it has to do with accuracy and precision.

A quality trigger like SSA will allow you to make more accurate shots with a SBR, Carbine, precision rifle, ect. Light, smooth, consistent and repeatable break points instead of not knowing where the trigger will break with gritty pulls.

A quality trigger is the single most important upgrade you can do to accuraize an AR, assuming you have a quality barrel and are using good ammo. Even before a FF rail.

Mil trigger suck and there is a reason people who actually pull triggers for a living like SOCOM, use high end match triggers in their rifles and carbines.

No it has to do with accuracy and precision.

A quality trigger like SSA will allow you to make more accurate shots with a SBR, Carbine, precision rifle, ect. Light, smooth, consistent and repeatable break points instead of not knowing where the trigger will break with gritty pulls.

A quality trigger is the single most important upgrade you can do to accuraize an AR, assuming you have a quality barrel and are using good ammo. Even before a FF rail.

Mil trigger suck and there is a reason people who actually pull triggers for a living like SOCOM, use high end match triggers in their rifles and carbines.

I know. I was being a smart arse. I own mil-specs that I have done my own trigger jobs on and have owned JPs, RRA 2 stage triggers and Giselles and timeys and am a firm believer in going to 11

Last Edited:
If you are going to use your rifle for bad situations (SHTF etc) better stay with the factory trigger. The after market triggers advertise "decreased lock time", not many even know what it is and fewer have the skills needed to make one pay off.

Every one of the super triggers sport a lighter hammer which will result is less energy being delivered to the firing pin and a decrease in energy or speed of the hammer will up your odds of a failure to fire when needed.

I have four ARs, with target triggers as they are for TARGET shooting. If we get into a SHTF situation I am not going to be risking my life on any of them. In a bad situation they are the last line.

The name of the game in a bad situation is "HIT PROBABILITY" and a light trigger or two stage trigger is not going to increase hit probability but a scope, or a bipod will.

As Bill Jordan described in his book "no one has ever died as the result of a loud noise" in other words if you can't hit it you can't kill it and considering the 5.56 loses terminal wound ballistic performance (regardless of 55 or 62 grain weight) at 95 yards.

Do a search for Col Martin Fackler MD and you will learn major info on wound ballistics.

Even better go here, download the file and start reading:

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

KAC makes hands down the most reliable and durable AR15's on the planet. And every single one of them has a KAC 2 stage trigger on them that are among the best on the market.

I run a KAC , Larue or G trigger on every AR I have, and I assure you, I have more AR's than you have pairs of underwear and socks.

Good triggers have zero issue with hammer strikes. Now if you buy trash triggers like 90% of the garbage on the market.. namely anything NOT from Larue, KAC, G, Trigger Tech and Wilson Combat, then yea you may have issues.

A light, consistent, repeatable trigger with known break point is absolutely going to increase hit probability. Its not even a question or a debate.

Some of you people read the dumbest bubblegum on the internet and regurgitate it like gospel.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

KAC makes hands down the most reliable and durable AR15's on the planet. And every single one of them has a KAC 2 stage trigger on them that are among the best on the market.

I run a KAC , Larue or G trigger on every AR I have, and I assure you, I have more AR's than you have pairs of underwear and socks.

Good triggers have zero issue with hammer strikes. Now if you buy trash triggers like 90% of the garbage on the market.. namely anything NOT from Larue, KAC, G, Trigger Tech and Wilson Combat, then yea you may have issues.

A light, consistent, repeatable trigger with known break point is absolutely going to increase hit probability. Its not even a question or a debate.

Some of you people read the dumbest bubblegum on the internet and regurgitate it like gospel.
Your list of real triggers is growing. Any more that you would like to add?

By the way, you are #3. I don't need anymore keyboard experts. See ya, or not.

Last Edited:
You are kidding right? I certainly hope so … since this issue is (well it seems "should be") common knowledge and warnings of this nature have been in circulation for well, just about forever.

The first article I saw regarding this was (if memory serves me well ) in SWAT magazine from the mid-80's. It was noted in that article that this was an "old" issue but one that still needs to be addressed from time to time to keep it fresh in peoples minds. Apparently the issue still need refreshing. There are countless other sources from defense attorneys, insurance companies, and expert witnesses like Massad Ayoob et. al.

Here's a good rendition from Ayoob himself:

No not kidding, it is just scare tactics . Any mod you do can be used against you . Did you add a RED DOT, well now it is more deadly.

Oh you use ammo that normally associated with hunting, so you are definitely looking to kill.

If you want to keep being scared , go right ahead.

Massad Ayoob stopped being relevant 30 years ago.

We have actual real combat vets and LE who have been using these tools judiciously over since then, and they are much better sources.

These wives tails of being prosecuted due to using good ammo, triggers ect are just that.

You use whatever tool helps you end the fight as quickly and efficiently as possible.

A good Match trigger is a must have for a fighting carbine.

These days I'd wager your zip code has a lot more relevancy as to the make or break between a prosecutor charging you or not in a self-defense situation ,than an aftermarket trigger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top