JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So trying to deiced which one i want it would be for target shooting and varmints. I have had a few 17hmrs be4 and they were ok and now I'm wondering about a 22wmr any one out there have experience with both and would like to share which they like more

I have had both and still have my 17HMR. The 22 WMR is good, but the 17HMR seems to me to be about twice accurate as the 22 WMR. The 17 is without a doubt much more explosive on small varmints like sage rats. People argue that the little 17 bullet gets blown around in the wind, and it does, but not really any more than the 22 WMR. If I were hunting larger varmints like Raccoon or Coyote, then I might want the heavier bullets that the 22WMR offers over the 17HMR. I did watch a buddy of mine shoot a trotting coyote in the head with a 17 grain hollow point at about 80 yards, it died instantly with little fanfare, so I know the 17HMR is capable of taking larger varmints. The major factor for me was the accuracy of the 17 over the 22. My 22 Mag would shoot 5 rounds into a half inch at 50 yards consistantly, not bad. My 17 shoots 5 rounds into a half inch at 100 yards consistantly, now that is twice as good as the 22 mag, so the 17 earned it's spot in the safe and the 22 mag went down the road.

It really depends on what your primary target will be. From sage rats to Badgers I'd probably give the nod to the .17, much bigger than that I'd pick the magnum. The heavier bullets carry the needed foot pounds. But that's not to say the .17 won't kill coyote sized targets, only that IMHO I like more foot pounds. Take a look at the almost forgotten .22 hornet, you can reload it, and it far outperforms either.

Hornady makes Critical Defense in .22 WMR. 1700 fps out of a 24" barrel and 1000 fps out of a 1-7/8" barrel. That's what I carry in my NAA bug.

That seems pretty slow for a 22 Mag out of a rifle length barrel, seems like it should be up around the 2200 FPS mark to be comprable to other 22 Mag ammo on the market.

That seems pretty slow for a 22 Mag out of a rifle length barrel, seems like it should be up around the 2200 FPS mark to be comprable to other 22 Mag ammo on the market.

That would be about right for a 40gr load and I believe the Critical Defense is even a 45 gr. The 2200 loads are all 30's. The best 22WMR load for years before the current crop of fast 30's was the WW 40gr running @ 1750fps. I whacked a boat load of sage rats with that load back in the 90's! I am currently without a 22 mag but I have 2 HMR's and a 17 HM2. The 17's are much more accurate (side by side w/ equal setups) and hit the gophers hard. This summer will be the first year I will have the 17HM2 in Montana............my .02

Half-inch groups from .17 HMR's (at 100 yards) are spoken of quite frequently. Half-inch groups from .17HMRs at 100 yards are achieved (shall we say) significantly less frequently.

I spent nearly an entire year devoted to the cartridge. I was given a good rifle. I therefore had the financial incentive to make it all the best it could be. I also had a previous devotion to a match-chambered custom barreled .22 WMR on a Contender.

The only thing holding back the HMR is the quality of ammo. I say this from extensive and documeted chronograph tests with ALL brands and types of ammuntion (again: I spent an entire year with it). The guns are superb. The ammunition shows serious inconsistencies (as does much of garden-quality rimfire ammo in ANY caliber).

On one fine day at my shooting cabin here at home, I had no less than five HMR owners, and six rifles (one guy had two). Marlins, Savages, and CZ's. All arrived claiming half-inch groups. All departed with aggregates in the 1.05-1.25" range, from a hard bench off sandbags. I invited them because I wanted better than what I was getting from my (muchly) improved Savage. I wanted to be shown that other rifles were better. None were better (save the sticky example of a plain-jane blued steel/plastic Savage that got aggregates sightly better than all the rest).

I am of the camp that takes ballistic tables with a heavy grain of salt. Too often, real-world shooting does not agree with printed predictions. I KNOW that my .22 Magnum with a 40 grain Winchester hollowpoint bucks wind better than my .17HMR 17 grain. I know because I shot them alternately and immediately in the same wind. The difference is slight, but noticeable. The ballistics tables call my research unfounded. I call my research reality.

I met a gentleman in the local gunshop yesterday and discussed 17's. Perhaps you are that gentleman. (We are close, geographically). Being from Banks, and being of a trusting nature, I would invite you to try my tricked-out .17. 5 minute drive for you, heated cabin, 100 yards. I know you not from Adam, but your education would be my pleasure.

As to claims of "the .17 is twice as accurate as the .22WMR", this may well be a true statement based on experience from the person who said it. That person, I would wager, has little experience with VERY good barrels in the .22WMR. My match-chambered WMR from Bullberry barrelworks in Utah (on a Contender frame), will consistently achieve the 1" MOA guarantee with which it was sold. The .22WMR cartridge, however, suffers from EXACTLY the same detriment as the HMR: NOBODY has spent time and effort to develop match-grade ammo: for good reason---nobody would buy it. .22 long rifle match grade offerings, on the other hand, are numerous.

Grab your favorite accurate .22 lr: feed it Eley Green Tag. Then feed it bulk Wildcats. You will instantly and dramatically realize what I am talking about.

.17hmr is a great shooting round, but the .22wmr isn't to shabby either.

If I had to choose one it would be .17hmr but the .22wmr wouldn't be too far behind.

Here's my CZ 452 Varmint .17hmr with Mueller APT 4.5-14 scope.

IMG_8221.jpg

I have a CZ 452 American in each caliber and have enjoyed them both. Another option if you are having a tough time deciding which way to go is something like the CZ 455 with interchangeable barrels. I just picked up a 455 Varmint in 22 Magnum, along with an extra barrel in .17 HMR, since I like both calibers. This way, you have both in one gun for the cost of an extra barrel.

My vote is for the .22 mag. Next to the .22 Hornet I feel it is the best deer poaching round going. I'm not advocating that anyone poach any deer but someday you might just have to feed yourself.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top