JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I'm looking for any feed back on the Savage model 94700 or the Marlin model 70831. Both are heavy barreled stainless steel 22mag bolt action rifles and they cost the same. So I really need to know if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with either. Accuracy is the most important thing to me regarding which one to choose. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Yes

I think the big difference is if the Savage has an "acutrigger"
Both seem to be made about the same and very popular

Oh,I have the Marlin in 17hmr and will buy which ever brand I find first in 22 mag.
Unless a nice CZ 455 comes by at a great price. Those are not that much more expensive.Might want to take a look

The CZ is a great option. I love the Accu-Trigger on the little stuff(basically, under .243), but can't warm up to it on the larger calibers(?). I own two Savage .22 mags. One with the heavy barrel and one with the lighter barrel and iron sights. Both have the Accu-Trigger and both are great rifles. It's really hard to get behind Marlin products, in my opinion. The quality has suffered tremendously in the last several years.

If your only two options are the Savage or Marlin, Savage has my vote 100 times out of 100. Though I agree that the CZ is great, for a few dollars more, you could have a Ruger 77/22. Of all my rimfires(24 and counting), my 77/22 in .22lr is my favorite, hands down. A 77/22 All-Weather in .22mag is definitely in my top 5. Good luck to you on your purchase. Kip.

Got the Savage 93 with regular barrel, wanted the iron sights just in case. I like it a lot and its super accurate <100 yards.

My friend has a Marlin in .17 and I like that one as well, but the accu-trigger is what made me pick Savage.

I understand it's not in the OP but... I saw two rather nice 77/22 MAG rifles at the Puyallup WAC show.
Sure love me some 77/22 when it comes to a rimfire bolt.

I haven't had a Marlin .22 magnum, but I do own a Savage which shoots well - not necessarily great. My experience with the .17 HMR might be helpful. The first one I could get my hands on was an NEF single shot, which did OK until I had the extra money for something more. Got a Marlin stainless/laminate heavy barrel bolt action and added a Weaver 2-7x rimfire scope. My total average all the while I had that rifle was +/- 0.82" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. with Hornady 17gr. I wanted better, so I sold the Marlin to get a CZ 452 Varmint. That rifle took a trip back to the factory and would never do better than 1.5". Sold it. Got the Savage bolt/brown laminate/heavy barrel/acutrigger/polished blue. Prettiest .17 I ever had, but about 1.5" groups after a trip to that factory. Bought another Savage bolt/black (?) wood/heavy fluted barrel/acutrigger/matte metal. Got it home and cleaned the factory dirt off and out. Noticed a reflection at the muzzle, and upon inspection it looked like someone stuck a screwdriver in the muzzle and rattled it around. The dealer agreed. Back to Savage. They replaced it. Barely 1.5" groups.
I'm now without a .17 HMR, and am missing that first Marlin. I've heard the latest Marlins may be having some problems, but have not had any experience with them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top