JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My evolution of .22s started in 1956 with an Ithaca model 49 single shot lever gun from Sears in downtown Tucson on my 7th birthday. Since then I have had many: Winchester 67,69,69A,52BCD,75 Sporter,Ruger 10/22s,10/22 customs,Ruger 77/22s,Ruger RAR22, Marlin 39A and Mountie, Clackamas Kimbers, Cooper36s and 57s, Browning Bl22, Winchester 94/22s,CZ 1,2,3,452s,455s,M6s,Savage 24C, and a Savage Rascal. I have enjoyed EVERY ONE of them except the M6s.
You mentioned not getting one soon; don't wait...so much fun awaits you with a great little cartridge.

Regards,
ezra

I took second in an informal 22 "walk" contest in La Grande.
Used the Rem 341 my grandfather bought new in approx.1930s? He gave it to my mom, I shot it as a kid; she passed it to me and I'm ready to pass it on now.
Tube fed and has that safety that twists up into the sights when ON, greatest teaching rifle ever for young shooters. Chamber is easy to see when bolt was open.

So many of the guns work well right out of the box.

To use a few car analogies:
Don't get caught up in the Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument. Most of the guns run as well as the operator.

That latter part leads me to the second analogy. Don't let your gun be a pavement princess. Don't spend all your time and money building your gun and no time and money using it. If you must, make a change or two, and then shoot the crap out of it. Savage, Ruger, Marlin will all shoot well. If you know how to run it, you'll do fine in most competitions.

Again it all depends on what you really want to do with it. I have literally dozens of model 60's but my bolt guns will always out shoot them. If you want something to shoot 50 yard competition with, well, here in the not too distant past I purchased a CZ455. Its the one with the 29" barrel. I've shot some informal matches, postal matches etc and that CZ is the ticket. Next stop Winny 52 which would be at least twice or possibly three times what I paid for that CZ.

At 10 yrs old I took my .25$ 22 shorts my 22 dog and fly pole up the Metolious to spend all day.
Adults I met (1) on the trail asked me if I was cafeful; I told them there is no other way to handle a firearm.
I loved 22lr shorts at .25$ bought at Walts in Lebanon
Walt would let us kids look at the rifles in his racks, sell us hooks, and tell us some very important points on guns and handling them.
Walt was in a wheelchair and a very cool friend as a young kid growing up in Lebanon. I bought many "firsts" from him (fly poles).

First rifle I had was a Ruger 10/22. Fun gun but not one I'd go to for accurate out of the box. If you have the money I'd buy an Anschutz. If you want to save some coin get a CZ 455 Tacticool, stupid name, dead nuts accurate.

CZ-USA CZ 455 Tacticool Suppressor-Ready Bolt 22LR TB 16.5

91646.jpg