JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Couldn't help but notice rimfire matches are everywhere...… A quick perusing of cabelas appears that some one wanting a non standard 10/22 type .22lr would have to either custom build with action, barrel, stock, etc which I assume one could find out which companies do that, or they could buy: rugar American, cz 455(looks like my choice out of these few), or savage b-series? Are there any others to mention? I highly doubt I will buy a rimfire anytime soon, I'm just trying to learn the shooting world at the moment. I read an article on accurate shooter that's led me to believe elly ammo and benchmark 2 groove barrels are the cats pjs for the big time competitors. Like I said probably wont happen, but would be a fun idea to consider shooting a 22 in small town la grande matches someday...

Don't overlook the older Remington 513's & 521's... fine shooters...
Winchester 75's and 52's...are excellent , but spendy...
The Mossberg 144 is also a good , solid , but under rated choice....
All three of these are still to be found today for sale.
Of the three , the Mossberg will be the least expensive...but they do shoot well.
Andy

Outta the box a Marlin 60 is a great accurate firearm.

This^^^

No mods needed and it'll out shoot a lot of modded 10/22's.

Was my first rifle I bought at 18 and is still one of the most accurate 22's I own.

And with all .22lr's.... clean, clean and clean them again after use. It's the only type of firearm I clean same day that I shoot them.

I have never seen so many Marlin 60 fans in one place (other than the Marlin site). I have a 1969 Glenfield (Marlin) 60 with the 18 round tube (23 shorts). In high school, we used to shoot pennies in the gravel pit at about 15 - 20 yards using a 15mm 4x Tasco scope. The Glenfield seemed to be the most accurate of anyone's. Good times.

I have never seen so many Marlin 60 fans in one place (other than the Marlin site). I have a 1969 Glenfield (Marlin) 60 with the 18 round tube (23 shorts). In high school, we used to shoot pennies in the gravel pit at about 15 - 20 yards using a 15mm 4x Tasco scope. The Glenfield seemed to be the most accurate of anyone's. Good times.

I took 3rd overall with mine and beat a handful of young guys half my age with $1k modded up Ruger 10/22's in one of the .22 speed steel shoots.

Once you get a speed loader for the tube mag then personally I don't see a down side too them.

Them Ruger's were aweful purdy and fancy looking though with thumb hole custom stocks, color matching or stainless ported bull barrels and all sorts of high tech red dots and such:D

I'd suggest a mossberg as well. Oft-times sold under the wards western field brand. My wards 47a is by far my favorite gun to shoot. It's accurate, quiet, easy on the wallet, just an all around joy to shoot!

There's something about the human interface of firing a bolt gun that brings so much more satisfaction compared to semi autos.

The Ruger 77/22 is also a fine option. The Factory stopped production of them earlier this year but many are still available. Ruger also produced the 96/22 which is another Lever Action.

I have a stock Savage 64F that will outshoot my Ruger 10/22 all day, any day. Savage 64 has a longer free-floated bbl, and a steel receiver with an integral dovetail mounts, so you can mount your scope closer to the bore axis. The only thing I don't like about it is the magazines.

One day I'd love to have a Marlin 60.

I'm a fan of CCI Standard velocity ammo in the Ruger American at 50 yards....

My Model 60 does this size at 25.

36566863-D4EF-4ED8-8B7B-0E72861BAE7A.jpeg DCC29630-1371-4BE3-83CD-284B3CAE92EF.jpeg

Don't forget a Savage MK-II, arguably one of the most accurate .22 rimfire rifles currently made, and if you really wanna see what a .22 is capable of, the Savage 64/Anschutz Mod 64 are hands down scary accurate with Eley and 10X ammo!

Hint, All three rifles mentioned above are Anschutz, just two of them have the Savage rollmark!

Don't forget Lakefields....Savage bought the company, it's what the MkII is based on. I have a LH target model, great gun and Savage mags are a direct fit. Also have a Winchester 69a...well, my son does....if I let him have it...:)...I just wish mags weren't so expensive for it.

eta: I have a '93 vintage 10/22 that I bought new...has at least 50k rounds through it and is still going...also have a single shot JC Higgins that will hit the 200yd gong at tri county without even trying....I have a .22 collecting problem....

My most accurate 22lr is my Ruger 77/22 all weather target, my favorite to shoot is my good ole marlin 60 :cool:

My husband has an older Ruger 77/22 in 22lr. He had one in 22wmr and sold that one when we got out of all 22wmr firearms.

He really likes that older rifle.

Cate

My husband had the Savage Mark 2, something or other, with a heavy barrel for a time frame. One of his best friends owns it now.

Cate

Sweet 22lr rifles:

Browning BL 22
Winchester 94-22

Made in CT Marlin Golden 39A

Henry Golden Boy (22lr and 22wmr)
Henry large loop carbine

Made in CT Marlin Papoose take down rifle in stainless steel/black composite with the blue bag. (I prefer bolt action and lever rifles much MORE than a semi automatic rifle but this is or was a sweet gun when I owned it. Circa late 90's.)

CZ 455 Lux - This is what I shoot now. Sweet shooting rifle.

CZ 455 Lux - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA

I still own 2 Savage Rascal bolt action - single shot 'kid's rifles' and they shoot pretty accurate for what they are in a kid's gun. They are lightweight for me on a 'bad day' with my old bones when I want to enjoy a day at the range with my husband and friends.

My husband owns a CZ 452 Scout rifle and a CZ 455 (?) Training rifle. I have shot them and they are SWEET rifles too. He wants to give me the Training rifle and I may take him up on it.

The CZ company has the 457 models out now.

I know what I have owned and shot in the past and present in the above RF rifles. They are tack drivers and sweet rifles in my opinion.

I kind of fell in LOVE with bolt action rifles at an older age once I found something that suited me, FIT me, thought was pretty, did not weigh a ton and had NO scope on it so I could get a feel for it.

I don't use scopes, no offense to any person, I use my bi-focal eyeglasses, and I shoot standing up - off hand. That works for me now at 68 years old as it did in my late 40's as a Newbie.

Cate