22lr's and rimfire basics

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Alan12013, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alan12013

Alan12013
    Hillsboro, OR

Couldn't help but notice rimfire matches are everywhere...… A quick perusing of cabelas appears that some one wanting a non standard 10/22 type .22lr would have to either custom build with action, barrel, stock, etc which I assume one could find out which companies do that, or they could buy: rugar American, cz 455(looks like my choice out of these few), or savage b-series? Are there any others to mention? I highly doubt I will buy a rimfire anytime soon, I'm just trying to learn the shooting world at the moment. I read an article on accurate shooter that's led me to believe elly ammo and benchmark 2 groove barrels are the cats pjs for the big time competitors. Like I said probably wont happen, but would be a fun idea to consider shooting a 22 in small town la grande matches someday...

Certaindeaf and GOG like this.
  2. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Don't overlook the older Remington 513's & 521's... fine shooters...
    Winchester 75's and 52's...are excellent , but spendy...
    The Mossberg 144 is also a good , solid , but under rated choice....
    All three of these are still to be found today for sale.
    Of the three , the Mossberg will be the least expensive...but they do shoot well.
    Andy

Joe13, Certaindeaf, GOG and 4 others like this.
  3. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington

Marlin also made their Lever Guns in .22 Rimfire. The 39A is a very popular model.

4. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    (2- " Q " -+1)
    Civility is a two way street. Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Outta the box a Marlin 60 is a great accurate firearm.

5. Alan12013

Alan12013
    Hillsboro, OR

Dang, I'd be able to afford that one and hopefully at least beat my parents and their old rifles that probably haven't ever been cleaned.

6. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

This^^^

No mods needed and it'll out shoot a lot of modded 10/22's.

Was my first rifle I bought at 18 and is still one of the most accurate 22's I own.

And with all .22lr's.... clean, clean and clean them again after use. It's the only type of firearm I clean same day that I shoot them.

Pete F, Mister Bisley and Alan12013 like this.
  7. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace
    Tacoma-ish
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I can't figure out what's the question here. (?)

You want to learn about .22 RF I'd suggest checking out Rimfire Central forums. There's a lot of experience and knowledge to be had there.

Dungannon and GOG like this.
  8. djharteloo

djharteloo
    Camas Washington

My most accurate 22lr is my Ruger 77/22 all weather target, my favorite to shoot is my good ole marlin 60 :cool:

Pete F, Joe13 and Mister Bisley like this.
  9. Pete F

Pete F
    St Helens, Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have never seen so many Marlin 60 fans in one place (other than the Marlin site). I have a 1969 Glenfield (Marlin) 60 with the 18 round tube (23 shorts). In high school, we used to shoot pennies in the gravel pit at about 15 - 20 yards using a 15mm 4x Tasco scope. The Glenfield seemed to be the most accurate of anyone's. Good times.

Joe13 and KKG like this.
  10. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I took 3rd overall with mine and beat a handful of young guys half my age with $1k modded up Ruger 10/22's in one of the .22 speed steel shoots.

Once you get a speed loader for the tube mag then personally I don't see a down side too them.

Them Ruger's were aweful purdy and fancy looking though with thumb hole custom stocks, color matching or stainless ported bull barrels and all sorts of high tech red dots and such:D

11. Heyjoe

Heyjoe
    Idaho

I'd suggest a mossberg as well. Oft-times sold under the wards western field brand. My wards 47a is by far my favorite gun to shoot. It's accurate, quiet, easy on the wallet, just an all around joy to shoot!

There's something about the human interface of firing a bolt gun that brings so much more satisfaction compared to semi autos.

Alan12013, AndyinEverson and Joe13 like this.
  12. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington

The Ruger 77/22 is also a fine option. The Factory stopped production of them earlier this year but many are still available. Ruger also produced the 96/22 which is another Lever Action.

AndyinEverson likes this.
  13. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol
    Salem

I have a stock Savage 64F that will outshoot my Ruger 10/22 all day, any day. Savage 64 has a longer free-floated bbl, and a steel receiver with an integral dovetail mounts, so you can mount your scope closer to the bore axis. The only thing I don't like about it is the magazines.

One day I'd love to have a Marlin 60.

ron and Joe13 like this.
  14. Dyjital

Dyjital
    Albany, Ore
    Flavorite Member

I’m a fan of CCI Standard velocity ammo in the Ruger American at 50 yards....

My Model 60 does this size at 25.

36566863-D4EF-4ED8-8B7B-0E72861BAE7A.jpeg DCC29630-1371-4BE3-83CD-284B3CAE92EF.jpeg

15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff

Don't forget a Savage MK-II, arguably one of the most accurate .22 rimfire rifles currently made, and if you really wanna see what a .22 is capable of, the Savage 64/Anschutz Mod 64 are hands down scary accurate with Eley and 10X ammo!

Hint, All three rifles mentioned above are Anschutz, just two of them have the Savage rollmark!

Joe13 likes this.
  16. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo
    Milwaukie

Don’t forget Lakefields....Savage bought the company, it’s what the MkII is based on. I have a LH target model, great gun and Savage mags are a direct fit. Also have a Winchester 69a...well, my son does....if I let him have it...:)...I just wish mags weren’t so expensive for it.

eta: I have a ‘93 vintage 10/22 that I bought new...has at least 50k rounds through it and is still going...also have a single shot JC Higgins that will hit the 200yd gong at tri county without even trying....I have a .22 collecting problem....

Heyjoe and Joe13 like this.