JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like them both...and both have their uses even today.
I do think the comparison is kinda dumb however...both are vastly different firearms and each require a different mindset to use effectively.

If one would arm a Militia today , there are plenty of:
AR15 rifles...
AK47 copies..
FN FAL / M1 or M1A type rifles..
SKS...
Lever action rifles of the .30-30 type..
And bolt action rifles to go around , that one would not have to rely on a .22 rifle or musket to be armed.

With that said...
If all you have is a .22 rifle or musket and you need to use to stay alive it can be done...you just need to adjust your tactics to suit the firearm...
Its not the firearm that wins the fight* , its the willingness of the person to do what is necessary to survive , that can make all the difference.

* And with that said ...
A more modern rifle would be a help to most people...I get that the topic , in the link isn't geared to weirdo's like me , who actually prefer muzzleloading firearms...And depending on the number of threats , would be comfortable using a musket or other muzzleloader to defend themselves...:D
Andy

Edit to add:
After a closer re-reading of the link...
It seems that the Link is saying that if it was 1776 , the Militia would prefer a .22 rifle..
I say NO they would not , as a most modern repeating .22 rifles of today , would be far to "alien" for the men of the day to understand and use comfortably.
It would be out of their realm of experience to even embrace...

According to Johnny Horton (the Singing American), you could use a gator if your cannon melts as described in his popular ballad the Battle of New Orleans:

We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down
So we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round
We filled his head with cannon balls, and powdered his behind
And when we touched the powder off that gator lost his mind

Can't do that with a 22. :cool:

or insurrection ...

https://www.quora.com/If-you-gave-a...o-you-think-they-would-use-it-over-the-musket

I know, some guys were very accurate with their muskets. 200 yds. But not MOST. Given a militia, which would be the better arm?

Many opinions at the link.

Hmmm so if it were a choice between a muzzleloader @ 3 rounds per minute vs a 22 with a binary trigger @ 400 rounds per minute (less with mag changes of course), modern optic, silencer, and ability to carry a couple thousand rounds on ur person easily?

Uh yeah, would have to go with the 22 on that one.

Maybe I'm missing the point here
You can travel back in time to the age of musketry but all you brought was a .22?
Or The general public is now limited to black powder muskets but you have somehow found a cached .22 rifle and ammo?
Or
is this a new 9 vs 45 debate but involving 22's and Brown Besses?

OOK I vote .22

Judging by the fact that it took about three years for 22lr. To start making limited appearances on store shelves after Sandy Hook and all the while black powder was still available to my knowledge. I would say America has already decided which they would prefer for the end times.

To me, it is an invalid question. While it might be an interesting cud to chew on, it might be more relevant to ask the question, what would the United States look like today if the revolutionary war was fought with repeating arms? Would our Constitution be the same?

Repeating arms were out there then...even breech loaders...The Ferguson Rifle comes to mind here , which was used at the Battle of King's Mountain , in October of 1780...
Many of the designs of the period were far more expensive to make and in some cases , better suited as "range toys" as opposed to field use.

Webster has this to say about the word "Arms" :
"Weapons and ammunition , armaments."
Just food for thought...
Andy

Many of the designs of the period were far more expensive to make and in some cases , better suited as "range toys" as opposed to field use.
Given a choice I'd think I'd like to be the guy running the Puckle Gun.
The Puckle gun was a primitive crew-served, manually-operated flintlock revolver patented in 1718.

download (5).jpg

I'd like a nice Lancaster , maple stock , brass furniture , 42 inch barrel , .54 caliber , High quality imported English or German lock , rifle to have been made by J. Dickert...

If a Musket , then a "Short Land Brown Bess" ...perhaps with the barrel "bobbed" at around 36-38 inches...
( This configuration would not be standard and would more than likely mean , that I was a Colonial Light Infantry , Militia or Ranger)
Andy

One thing to consider when posing questions like those in link , in the OP is...

The way folks thought , their values and mindset was vastly different in the 17th , 18th and 19th centuries , than ours with a 20th and 21st century thought , value and mindset...

They may not be able to , or want to "wrap their head" around the idea of repeating rifle of the modern .22 type.

Please note that I am not against semi auto rifles or the ownership thereof...

I am just saying that we think and act differently now , then the people of say 1776...
And that comparing the two or to place a modern item or viewpoint on folks of that time period , can be misleading.
Andy

considering just the introduction of lands and grooves singlehandedly ditched the musket , they would look at it . They were all about accuracy and range......and not packing a lot of weight .
I think the question is kinda valid considering they could probably reproduce a simple 22 rifle if they had one in hand to copy, but the ammo.......nope.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top