JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a 6" barrel S&W 617 10 shot . . . it's incredibly accurate . . . but they are not cheap.

An older 617 is what I want, not the -2 with aluminum cylinder but like a -4 w/ the stainless steel cylinder. This thread got me thinking I need a 22 revolver, I always like the Ruger Single-Six but want more rounds so I considered a picking up a Single-Ten on the used market. The reality is though I'd rather have an S&W DA over a Ruger SA so 617 it is. I understand there is a version of the 617 that has the same barrel profile as the 17 rather than the usual full-underlug, that would be perfect but I suspect hard to find if not cost prohibitive. Research time.

I'm working on bringing a friend into the firearm owners fold.

He indicated that he wanted as his first pistol purchase a .22LR single action revolver. I can't disagree with his choice as it's a good firearm to learn on and he won't suffer from recoil remorse.

So what brand recommendations would you have? Ruger? Chiappa? Heritage? Smith & Wesson? Charter? Taurus?

Just curious as to what you all have and what you like, and don't like, about them.

Thanks for any input!
Ruger Single-Six/Bearcat
Colt peacemaker/Scout/New Frontier
H&R 999/949
High Standard Sentinel/Mk.IV
...actually, any revolver would be a good choice, regardless if its SA or DA.
Adjustable sights would help, as the gun can be dialed in to hit point of aim simply by lining up the sights on the target. No holder over/under required.
.22 is always a good choice for caliber, beginner or expert.

Dean

Last Edited:
I do have a GP-100 22LR 4.2" barrel. It is great single action and very smooth double action. DA 22's like mine normally have a heavier trigger pull as the hammer spring is substantial to reliably ignite the rimfire primer.

I have a Heritage convertible as yet unfired, I don't like the safety, but otherwise it seems very solid. Hard to beat prices.

I have a first year Colt Frontier Scout, 22LR only (they did not have convertibles early on), its a well worn snake killer. I love that gun.

I have a convertible NAA that now has oversize NAA walnut stocks, makes a big difference with aiming.

I have a Ruger LCR 22LR (8 shot DAO) lighter smooth trigger compared to my GP-100.

Finally in 22 revolvers I have a S&W J frame, 351PD, a DA/SA seven shot 22 Magnum. I'll keep it.