JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Id go with an older double action S&W revolver. And shoot it all you want in single action. I don't much like the newer less accurate S&W revolvers they make today.

What I don't like about them [Revolvers]?

Problem with a revolver is? A nice accurate model will cost you $800 plus.
When you can get a nice accurate Browning Challenger from the 60's for about $500. o_O

IMG_0385 (2).JPG

Whenever I venture into something new, resale is a big consideration before purchase. I just got my first SA revolver, a used Ruger Single Six from A Cut Above Pawn in Hillsboro. They gave me a good price. It is well made and will likely hold its value.

This kind of gun is fantastic to learn on, because it is cheap to feed, light recoiling, and has that Old West novelty factor.

Just my .02, but I would stick to a name brand he can trade in later, or keep as part of a collection.

If it's anything like the .357 I had then it's a great gun and trigger.

Has the cool revolver factor and is a 10 shot. Hard not to like them but I might be biased.

I would have never sold my .357 if I wasn't hurting for funds.

Local buy and has good resale value imo.

Well? I'm mostly propaganda. :D
We all want to defend our purchases......."my Ruger is as good as a Smith or Colt" well.......no it isn't but for what it is, I am sure it is adaquate. My Colt 22 new Frontier has appreciated 4 or 5 times more than I paid for it 45 years ago and still can draw a crowd at the range. We bought the M63 for my wife to practice with for her M60 357 3". It has saved more money in ammo costs than the price of the pistol. It is difficult to tell which gun you have in your hand when you pick it up. The 22 is just a bit heavier but less noticeable when both are loaded.

I have owned my Single-Six since 1982. It was purchased with varmint hunting in mind. It was used when I was a guide to kill mountain grouse. I have since installed custom sights and shortened the original 9 1/2 inch barrel to 7 1/2 inches so that it would fit in my Bianchi flap holster. Two coyotes were killed with the .22 LR cylinder. I used the Magnum cylinder for rockchucks and night hunting with coon dogs yo. Last year I drilled sage rats with it for two hours straight. I f you want a double action get the Smith and Wesson. You won't regret it. You may regret the cash outlay for either.

I was never able to use my Single-Six with the factory stocks. I put a set of Pachmeyers on it. I agree with Medic , Browning hunter would be the most economical and accurate semi auto. Learning to shoot double action is a skill I started working on in 1995. I use a S&W model 15 and a 686. Both have four inch barrels. None of this had any bearing on getting the Single-Six due to the extra cylinder and excellent rear sight.

I have not read up on these. Do they shoot well?

I have read the new S&W .22 revolvers do NOT shoot as well as the older ones. o_O

I had a Ruger GP 100 .22 and sold it due to it not being very accurate.
Little did I know that the previous owner had only shot some cheap lead ammo through it (100 rds) and hadn't cleaned it properly before I got my hands on it.
I wasn't to impressed and sold it for what I paid for it to a friend of mine who just wanted a stainless steel 9 shot plinker for barn rats.
The morning before I drove up to his farm to hand it over, I gave it a thorough cleaning and while I was pushing a cleaning patch down the bore, out pops a long piece of lead that was stuck in one of the grooves.
We both shot a bunch of quality ammo that afternoon and the pistol was spot on target.
He and I were both impressed and now I'm sorry that I sold it.

A member here (Floyd91) has a nice stainless steel Ruger Single Six for sale that also has a nice holster along with it.
Only $400.00, but he's located in Eugene. Maybe meet in Salem for the transfer.

Here ya go. Finest German craftsmanship. Low recoil .22 short. If you have a thing for Jodie Foster, this could be the gun for YOU! Burgo .22 short.jpg

Ok, yes, it's a POS. I've never actually tried to fire it. Some years ago, a co-worker found it when going through the effects of his late father in law. HE knew it was a POS and mentioned that he was going to take it to the gun "buy back" for a $50 Freddy's gift certificate. I don't like to give any encouragement to those clowns so after grimacing and groaning about "buy backs", I asked if he'd sell it to me instead. He was sympathetic to not wanting to give it to the anti's so he sold it to me for $20 (I think mostly to mollify his wife). But, it's safely "off the street".

I like the Single Six (especially when I got my first one when they were $67 and change). I also have the Colt SAA, New Frontier, and a Bearcat. I rather like them all more or less equally. Though I suppose the Colts have appreciated more which my heirs may appreciate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top