JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm working on bringing a friend into the firearm owners fold.

He indicated that he wanted as his first pistol purchase a .22LR single action revolver. I can't disagree with his choice as it's a good firearm to learn on and he won't suffer from recoil remorse.

So what brand recommendations would you have? Ruger? Chiappa? Heritage? Smith & Wesson? Charter? Taurus?

Just curious as to what you all have and what you like, and don't like, about them.

Thanks for any input!

I have a Heritage. Has been a great little revolver. I taught my nephews (3 of them) to shoot with it first before letting them shoot anything else. Regardless though, I agree a single action revolver is a good first choice to learn on.
James

I have a Colt new frontier 22/22mag convertible I bought new over 45 years ago. Adjustable sights, 10" barrel that has never missed a beat. They are not that expensive and are a real gun made by an original manufacturer.

Perhaps a Single-Six Convertible in .22LR & .22WMR for a bit of versatility. He can move up in power a bit when he's ready and it also gives him some options.

Don't forget the 9-shot Harrington and Richardson's (H&R) and High-Standards (both on the used market).. they are generally DA/SA but just cock them.. the DA's generally suck.

Single Six if you can afford it, but I have had Heritages, and, for the price, they can't be beat. inexpensive, accurate, and reliable. I upgraded to a Single Six, and regret getting rid of the Heritage.

Ruger single six and its variants are the only .22 revolvers I would recommend, never had a misfire, and the fireball from shooting .22 magnum is pretty impressive even in well lit areas. I remember the first time I shot a single six in .22 magnum and seeing the fireball while I was still aiming down the sights. No recoil to speak of in either caliber, I prefer .22 magnum for the fireball if nothing else.

First handgun I owned is a H&R 649 got it at age 13 and its still going strong today....While not held high in collectors esteem , they do work well and seem to last forever.

That said the Ruger Single six and the older Colt .22 "Peacemaker" and "New Frontier" revolvers are tough to beat...
Andy

It is a double action...but no law says you need to shoot it Double Action...:D
Most of my shooting with it has been "single action"...it has a smooth and clean trigger pull that way.
It also has a "cowboy" look about it...
Andy

It is a double action...but no law says you need to shoot it Double Action...:D
Most of my shooting with it has been "single action"...it has a smooth and clean trigger pull that way.
It also has a "cowboy" look about it...
Andy

Just checking, I use to have a nine shot SA model 9 something or other. Their number system was just about as crazy as S&W's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top