JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a Frankenrifle 10/22 w/ KIDD barrel.

Process so far:
- Fired 100 rounds.
- Got cold. Went home.
- Got bored. Cleaned the action, some patches down the tube.
- New Season, got warmer, went ammo testing.
- Fired 10 rounds per type at steel targets for grins and giggles, then another 10 at the paper.

Seems to me the ammo type had far more affect than any sort of break in procedure. My own ability after that. I'm sure break in probably does do something...it'll just be so little that I'll never see it. So...I'm going to keep the action clean, find an ammo it likes (seems to be CCI Clean and SK), and only patch through the bore when accuracy falls off from what I've come to know as the baseline for this ammo.

IMG_9846.jpg

Sighting in is easy if you can keep rifle perfectly steady and have a well lit target. Shoot one hole and do not move rifle at all. Adjust scope windage and elevation until cross hairs cover that hole. Shoot again to verify u are on target. Done.
Caveats apply here.not all scopes made the same way but I should have been clear that none of the times I've been able to shoot on a bench and fix this issue. So that being said, never had a proper start to sighting in in the first place.

Another reminder that good stuff USED to be made back when, as well, with very few of the technical requisites we think of an necessary these days.

Another BSA old timer, this time from 1958, with and old Tasco T707 scope on top from sometime in the early 70's.

Five shots at 25m - YOU figure out how big/small that is.
View attachment 902105
This is me shooting it -
View attachment 902107
It's all in the fancy hat, you take those Dale Earnhardt flames away and your NOTHING.. ;) (smacks of sarcasm echoing through the server)

Nice "chootin'" and yes very true. I've got old weaver k2.5 k4 stuff thats pretty good and the rings are annoying but they work.

Us "standard" folk are starting to see the light i think of the metric stuff especially for ELR world. Bigger tubes are ALWAYS better. I would love to get my hands on some of those insane valdada 40mm tubes.
Thems fancy!

Last Edited:
It's all in the fancy hat, you take those Dale Earnhardt flames away and your NOTHING.. ;) (smacks if sarcasm echoing through the server)

Nice "chootin'" and yes very true. I've got old weaver k2.5 k4 stuff thats pretty good and the rings are annoying but they work.

Us "standard" folk are starting to see the light i think of the metric stuff especially for ELR world. Bigger tubes are ALWAYS better. I would love to get my hands on some of those insane valdada 40mm tubes.
Thems fancy!
Pal of mine has THE definitive OTT .22cal rifle. It is an Accuracy International AW with an after-market barrel, bolt head and magazine adapted, at HUGE cost [clue, he's rich] to shoot .22cal rimfire. He has a Schmidt & Bender PMII on top of this uh, thing. It shoots very well, as you can imagine for a rifle that he well North of $10K invested.

But NOT as well as any of my old guns.

Five shots at 25m - YOU figure out how big/small that is.
View attachment 902105
This is me shooting it -
View attachment 902107

I can't figure out how big it is, because I only know American coins! ☺

Agree w/the above, about the "2-shot" sight in! I have been showing this to people for years and they slap the top of their foreheads and go, "Gee... duhhh!".

Also, for the off topic conversation about sighting in and not us old farts that know this stuff...

You know the old, aim at the bull, pull the trigger and adjust the scope works well too, if...

A: If you know your range (I would hope so! See below)
B: How far windage & elevation are off (easy enough to measure!) and
C: You know the scopes click adjustments (¼", ½" /click, etc.).

You just have to remember, if you're shooting at, say, 25 yards and you have ¼" clicks... it's gonna take 16 clicks to move the POI, 1"! Conversely, if you are at 200 yards, all of a sudden, those clicks are ½" @ 200 yards, etc., etc.

I find that no rifle needs "breaking in".
I do find that one does need time to see what ammo or loading that the rifle "likes" the best.

Practice with the rifle...learn how to shoot it , enjoy shooting it and forget about any "breaking in".

Others however will disagree with the above.
Andy
This guy here^^^^^^^. Until you can provide me with data that supports that not breaking in a barrel leads to terminal barrel degradation or loss of accuracy, then I'm with Andy. I've got one AR manufacturer whose products I admire and purchase that recommends a rather laborious process for the first 100 rnds. I question whether the barrel is going to know the difference or not.

If I need to place this elsewhere let me know but the rules around here just seem to be up for discussion more than rules. Ok im just sighting in my air rifle in my arms(infantry hold) I'm aiming for a target that's for a 100 yard sight in but I'm only about 20 feet away. I've already done about 5 clicks of a 1/4" per 100 yards while aiming at the same spot and it's hitting a spot 7 inches below it. Is the trajectory of the pellet out of the barrel needing to align with the sight from the scope? Like aligning two flashlights together? I appreciate the advice and apologize if this should be elsewhere. Provided a picture for you guys to kinda get the gist of what I'm dealing with.

20210610_200924.jpg

If I need to place this elsewhere let me know but the rules around here just seem to be up for discussion more than rules. Ok im just sighting in my air rifle in my arms(infantry hold) I'm aiming for a target that's for a 100 yard sight in but I'm only about 20 feet away. I've already done about 5 clicks of a 1/4" per 100 yards while aiming at the same spot and it's hitting a spot 7 inches below it. Is the trajectory of the pellet out of the barrel needing to align with the sight from the scope? Like aligning two flashlights together? I appreciate the advice and apologize if this should be elsewhere. Provided a picture for you guys to kinda get the gist of what I'm dealing with.

View attachment 903244
Not sure what u r asking but I would sight it in at 20 yards. 20 feet is much too close unless u plan on shooting targets only at 20'. Also 100 yards is a crazy long way for an air rifle unless it's an Edgun or air force or something. U are talking about almost 40" of drop in 100 yards and Pellet would have minimal velocity/energy out that far if u could hit anything at that range.
5BBDF520-2104-445F-AA41-A1641AD952DE.png
If u are asking about basics such as scope height above barrel and trajectory:
A0869260-8FA2-4C34-8E00-613AF83B19AF.png

Last Edited:

View attachment 903244

FatBoy, if I understand you correctly, you are shooting at the upper left bull and hitting 7" low, at about the lower left bull, correct? Oh, and this is at 100 yards??!!

I would say that is an unbelievable group and whatever you are doing..., CONTINUE!!

I think I am surely missing something (and don't call me Shirley!).

Also, eyesight is laser straight, the trajectory of a bullet is a large arc and a pellet..., would be HUGE arc! Don't forget about that darn gravity!

This guy here^^^^^^^. Until you can provide me with data that supports that not breaking in a barrel leads to terminal barrel degradation or loss of accuracy, then I'm with Andy. I've got one AR manufacturer whose products I admire and purchase that recommends a rather laborious process for the first 100 rnds. I question whether the barrel is going to know the difference or not.
Rex reviews /TiborasaurusRex cover this tooic pretty well. He has different methods depending on how the gun is going to be used stored. It is a little hair splitting but interesting and worth watching. He is a enginerd by trade i like the way he approaches most topics. Which is logical. But yeah if your NOT shooting soda cans from thousands of yards its pointless.

FatBoy, if I understand you correctly, you are shooting at the upper left bull and hitting 7" low, at about the lower left bull, correct? Oh, and this is at 100 yards??!!

I would say that is an unbelievable group and whatever you are doing..., CONTINUE!!

Also, eyesight is laser straight, the trajectory of a bullet is a large arc and a pellet..., would be HUGE arc! Don't forget about that darn gravity!
He is not shooting at 100 yards, he wants to shoot at 100 yards. He is shooting at 20 feet.

He has not told us how far above the bore his sight is positioned - something that people shooting an AR-type have to consider when shooting close-up.

At 20 feet I'd expect the trajectory of the pellet to be as near as darnit parallel to the line of sight - certainly within half an inch or so.

I'm shooting at the upper left target directly above it. But pellet is hitting the target at 7 inches down. Mind you im only doing this at barely 20 feet. I'm only trying to hit a can from the back door. I know this doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to try for a target at 20 feet but there's no way it should be hitting 7 squares below point of aim should it? The good thing is it was grouping fantastic I'll give you that but something doesn't seem right and I would accept if I hit the target just a bit higher to make up that arching in the trajectory.

I physically am not doing much different from sighting in at a rest as I'm aiming in the same spot. This isn't a $500 air rifle either. I just wanted to see the target better via scope.

I feel like this is how I put a scope on my .270 rifle over 10 years ago and flabbergasted a fella willing to help us at the range I was at because we could never figure out where the hell all the bullets were hitting.

Last Edited:
I'm shooting at the upper left target. But pellet is hitting the target at 7 inches down. Mind you im only doing this at barely 20 feet. I'm only trying to hit a can from the back door. I know this doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to try for a target at 20 feet but there's no way it should be hitting 7 squares below point of aim should it? The good thing is it was grouping fantastic I'll give you that but something doesn't seem right and i feel like this is how I put a scope on my .270 rifle over 10 years ago and flabbergasted a fella willing to help us at the range I was at because we could never figure out where the hell all the bullets were hitting.
Please show us a SIDE-view of your rifle and scope - at 20 feet your pellets ought to be just about as far below the line of sight as your scope is above it.

See what I mean here - my scope is an easy 3" higher than the bore, so in theory, at least, at very close range there ought to be the same separation of crosshair and bullet hole. As

1623416356304.png

As shown here in the graphic from ilikegunspdx - the bullet actually crosses the line of sight, rises over it, and then coincides with it at the target. I'd like to see your set-up, please

1623416499464.png

Please show us a SIDE-view of your rifle and scope - at 20 feet your pellets ought to be just about as far below the line of sight as your scope is above it.

See what I mean here - my scope is an easy 3" higher than the bore, so in theory, at least, at very close range there ought to be the same separation of crosshair and bullet hole. As

View attachment 903394

As shown here in the graphic from ilikegunspdx - the bullet actually crosses the line of sight, rises over it, and then coincides with it at the target. I'd like to see your set-up, please

View attachment 903395
I can get a picture for you later tonight if that works? Compared to yours, I grant you it's not that high. I used the scope in the package. Maybe an inch in height from barrel ?

I'd opine, at a distance of 5000 miles, that the problem is the scope. Have you compared the scope results with the open sight results?

If not - try this - You WILL need to have see-through mounts though where you can use both open sights and scope.......

1. Screw/adjust the open sights down as low as they will go, and shoot five shots AIMING using the open sights at the centre of the chosen target at your 20 feet distance. See where they go. Adjust the sights if necessary to get the shots centered.

2. Next, knowing that your open sights are on the ball, so to speak, place the gun in a firm rest, back and front, and using the OPEN sights, take the same aiming point.

3. WITHOUT moving the gun in any way, and with the sights firmly 'looking' at the target, look through the scope, and set the cross-hairs on the centre of the target.

4. Fire a shot and see where it goes.

5. If it is off-centre, then, without moving the gun in any way, move the cross hairs until it is on the target.

Note, though, that your gun is now sighted ONLY for that distance.

To shoot further, you must adjust the sights accordingly and since we know nothing about your rifle, velocity or calibre-wise, it is a matter of trial and error.

Just like with any other scope setting.

My advice is to get a Hawke scope with distance markers/graduations, and bin the [usually] crappy scope that come with an air rifle.

I'm shooting at the upper left target directly above it. But pellet is hitting the target at 7 inches down. Mind you im only doing this at barely 20 feet. I'm only trying to hit a can from the back door. I know this doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to try for a target at 20 feet but there's no way it should be hitting 7 squares below point of aim should it? The good thing is it was grouping fantastic I'll give you that but something doesn't seem right and I would accept if I hit the target just a bit higher to make up that arching in the trajectory.

I physically am not doing much different from sighting in at a rest as I'm aiming in the same spot. This isn't a $500 air rifle either. I just wanted to see the target better via scope.

I feel like this is how I put a scope on my .270 rifle over 10 years ago and flabbergasted a fella willing to help us at the range I was at because we could never figure out where the hell all the bullets were hitting.
I'm still not understanding what ur saying but I'll take a guess that when u mean when u say it was sighted in at 100 yards is no person actually sighted it in at 100 yards? I'm guessing again that maybe you are talking about parallax for your scope is for 100 yards? (Note that If someone sighted it in at 100 yards then you need to sight it in at a shorter distance).

So to skip details and make it easy, if you are planning on shooting at a reasonable range, say 15-35 yards, sight in ur rifle at 20 yards. If you will be shooting at 20' target exclusively, sight it in at 20'.

But before any of that, make sure ur scope is installed correctly. Especially make sure the scope itself is not being held out of position because it's pushing down on iron sights or other parts of the rifle. Make sure clamps to rifle are fully seated. Make sure mount to rifle is very tight. Torque the screws for the mount clamps for the scope itself a little at a time going from one to the other, don't clamp one down tight and then go to the next one. Lots of different ways to mount scopes and everyone has their preferred way. This short video is one example (note that shims may or may not be needed, try without shims first if it is level).

Last Edited:
Barrel manufacturers love the idea of barrel break-in. You're wearing down the barrel before you even start using it. At least one barrel manufacturer has said the equivalent of "barrels are best when brand new and it all goes downhill from there."

I'm still not understanding what ur saying but I'll take a guess that when u mean when u say it was sighted in at 100 yards is no person actually sighted it in at 100 yards? I'm guessing again that maybe you are talking about parallax for your scope is for 100 yards? (Note that If someone sighted it in at 100 yards then you need to sight it in at a shorter distance).

So to skip details and make it easy, if you are planning on shooting at a reasonable range, say 15-35 yards, sight in ur rifle at 20 yards. If you will be shooting at 20' target exclusively, sight it in at 20'.

But before any of that, make sure ur scope is installed correctly. Especially make sure the scope itself is not being held out of position because it's pushing down on iron sights or other parts of the rifle. Make sure clamps to rifle are fully seated. Make sure mount to rifle is very tight. Torque the screws for the mount clamps for the scope itself a little at a time going from one to the other, don't clamp one down tight and then go to the next one. Lots of different ways to mount scopes and everyone has their preferred way. This short video is one example (note that shims may or may not be needed, try without shims first if it is level).
Nobody sighted in my rifle before me. Brand new rifle. I might have to look at the rifle again to check for these nuances. Not something I really thought about. This one doesn't have true iron sights, they are plastic but still helps the general aim.

Again this is an air rifle. I was hoping to shoot within 20-30 feet as that's all I'm shooting at the moment. Really I use this thing to shoot rats at and it's quite good but the scope I was hoping to use at a more distance and dial in later if needed. Hope this helps and thanks for the advice so far.

20210611_193542.jpg 20210611_193532.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads