JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have looked at S&W 613, 617. but what about Charter Arms, and other gun makes? Not for CCW, but for the range and home. No auto's, try that, and it's not going to work for her. So what Gun makes are going to be good for the money. I have a kahr CW45 for trade.

Last Edited:
Well for the range you would want a 3" or longer barrel. I know Taurus makes the mod. 941 (22mag) 8shot and mod. 94 (22lr) 9 shot in 4 and 5". I have one of the 941 but in 2" but the trigger pull is pretty hard. I would sell the Kahr and take the cash and look for an older model FIE or H&R which both made 9 shot revolvers and come around in shops regularly.

I have and like my S&W J-Frame, 351PD. It is in .22 Magnum and so ammunition is at least three times the price of .22 LR. It is light and has a fiber optic front sight. The report is loud, but it is very easy to control. It is a seven shooter. The good points are it's light weight, relative economy for the range, better punch with a louder report and seven rounds for self-defense.

If you're looking for a 22 range revolver, the Ruger is a nice gun. The added benefit is that you can get it with both a 22 lr cylinder and a 22 mag cylinder. The mag might be better for a home defense scenario...

I've got one, and it's probably my favorite rimfire pistol.

Bryce

I just glanced at this and leaving my opinion since my buddy had the same question, I like the taurus ultralight (titanium) I believe, 22mag, as a matter of fact I might pick one up for my wife and load it up with some stingers. Heard nothhing but great things about this gun, although no first hand knowledge.

My.22 cents worth. All those mentioned are great choices.
I like the old High Standard .22 revolvers, the Sentinel shoots great and for the wild west look I like the Double nine being double action and nine shots better than the Single Six. They made it in magnum too. They seem to be going up in price lately but you still find them for less than the more popular brands.

I have looked at S&W 613, 617. but what about Charter Arms, and other gun makes? Not for CCW, but for the range and home. No auto's, try that, and it's not going to work for her. So what Gun makes are going to be good for the money. I have a kahr CW45 for trade.

You have looked, but has your wife? Take her to gun stores, gun shows, show her a table with a lot of options and then get out of her way. She will find one that fits.

If not for CC get at least a 4" barrel. The extra length will be easier to shoot accuratly (range) and provide more velocity (home).

Adjustable sights would be best.

You can't go wrong with a S&W, but since it's not for CC, I would save my money and get a steel version (as apposed to scandium/aluminum).

If you're ok with single action, it's hard to beat the versatility of a Ruger Single Six.

Taurus's have come a long way.

S&W, Ruger and Taurus have great customer support. I have no experience with Charter?

I really don't think any rimfire is a good choice for defense.
Since not for CC, size and weight aren't issues. You might consider something more effective for home use. A 4" S&W K frame in .38 is a relatively small gun, inexpensive and common as well. They are a joy to shoot with a sweet action and little recoil. Plus you could pick up the .22lr version of the same gun (can't remember model#). If you research and shop around you could get both for close to what your Khar is worth. I would'nt be suprised if the .22 costs more than the .38. Lot's of grip options to fit different hands too.

As mentioned earlier by others, figure out some solid choices and then let her pick.

+1 on the H&R 929.

Solid, inexpensive used gun, with all the functionality of a standard double-action pistol. That's big for me because with .22 ammo so cheap, plentiful and fun to shoot, an old school single-action would be maddening (shot a friend's and grew weary of it quickly).

HKS even makes a tiny 9-shot speed-loader for it! Great training piece for new shooters possibly intimidated by the boom and recoil of larger hand cannons.

2 minor caveats:
Deceptively quiet in a rifle, the .22 round is impressively loud in a pistol, enough to damage your hearing without protection. And be careful not to crack or chip those plastic grips. Mine are fine, but I'd like to find something nicer looking in wood, or sturdier in rubber. No luck so far.

adorable.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads