JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It really cracks me up how many people think .22lr is such a "cool" little round. I grew up cutting my teeth on .22LR, and wore a bolt action completely out. Now that I'm a big kid it just feels like a toy. With "meh" accuracy. I don't get it. But then again, I don't have to. Just means more glorified airsoft pellets for you all!
Same Same, as a kid, it was freedom, we had our 22's and took them out varmint huntin, believe it or not this was California and no one cared that two kids were out an about with them. Proper training was all it took, I digress.
A couple weeks ago, my son and his wife as well as a few of us went up target shooting she is new to firearms, her family isn't but they never took time to help her, we do and she has fun. But of course she shoots the 22LR savage bolt action, pew pew pew.
My son last time let her try .357 / w/38sp in it. Now she wants to shoot the .38sp.
And then this time she tried the 7mmMag, and she was smiles ear to ear. Its also hard cause she is a lefty. But she was hitting targets.
I think a 22LR is a nice pew pew pew round. When I picked up a over kill 17 HMR I never looked back. I say over kill, because it has a stainless steel bull barrel, modified trigger and a thumb-hole stock. But it hits what I aim at at quite a distance. :) pew pew pew.

My favorite rounds are .357 40sw and 7.62x39 these seem powerful enough, but also plenty comfortable to shoot a long time.

Maybe some kids don't want to grow up!

Old fogeys!

I'll come hang with you, and I'll bring some REAL guns and ammo with me. ;)

I expect that most of us that appreciate the little twenty-two also have plenty of "real guns". And by that I mean things like Garands and FALs, not the little aluminum and plastics ARs (though we have those too). :D

I expect that most of us that appreciate the little twenty-two also have plenty of "real guns". And by that I mean things like Garands and FALs, not the little aluminum and plastics ARs (though we have those too). :D

:rolleyes::D

The origin was from the word googol. And googol is defined as a number. That number is

10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

To save you the counting, it's a 1 with 100 zeros after it.

Today's "Google" was a typo on the original. No joke.

We shot up a bunch more of the cheap bulk pack Thunderbolts. For our purposes they work just fine. Here's 15 rounds at 25 yards, a quick group from the 10/22 from sandbags. Not bench-rest precision, but plenty good enough for informal shooting.

IMG_6005[1].jpg

Yeah, pretty sure those flyers were the ammo, not me or the gun. I sure wouldn't use it for any kind of competition, but we had fun taking turns busting clay targets at 100 yards.

My 12yo son loves burning through .22lr ammo, but just recently he's starting to enjoy bigger guns. So far he likes the M1 carbine over the AR, but I figure it's just a matter of time. If he burns through the carbine ammo like the .22 ammo he going to have to start helping me reload it.

I've got a decent supply of bulk stuff. Now I've been stocking up on the higher grade 22lr. I have a couple guns that have a liking for the CCI standard velocity. Brownells has it on sale with free shipping once in a while and my mailman always knows, lol
FYI Brownells has cci standard velocity for 4.2 ppr right now. CCI standard velocity 4.2 cents per round shipped

What I find amusing is the fact that of all the calibers, 22lr seems to be the one that disappears during a panik. I think people like the "warm and fuzzy" feeling they get when sitting on 10k+ 22lr rounds. Because frankly .22 is cheap and easy to store. But really, it's a lousy caliber for most things besides little critters and is NOT a good defensive round either. So while you sit and stare at your mountain of .22 and feel all good about yourself, I'll be buying larger calibers that are actually useful for more than popping beer cans. :rolleyes:
Headshots o_O

The past high 22lr pricing reminds me of a TV commentary decades ago (1980) when mortgage rates were 16% plus. A financial real estate "expert" stated then that you would absolutely never see rates below 10% again.

It doesn't seem like very long ago that many were saying that 8 to ten cents per round was the new normal for bulk .22lr ammo, and we would never again see it any cheaper.

I just bought a couple 500 round boxes of Remington Thunderbolt at Walmart, for $14.58 per box. It's been pretty steadily decreasing in price as the shelves are sagging from the weight of hundreds of thousands of rounds. It's nice to see. I wonder if it will go lower yet?

Yes, I know a lot of people don't care for Thunderbolts, but my son and I took some out recently and burned through a couple hundred rounds in the 10-22, without a single malfunction or misfire.

FYI Brownells has Federal black box 22 ammo on sale for 2.2 cents per round when you buy 3200 rounds:

federal 22 ammo 2.2 cents per round shipped after mail in rebate

It doesn't seem like very long ago that many were saying that 8 to ten cents per round was the new normal for bulk .22lr ammo, and we would never again see it any cheaper.

I just bought a couple 500 round boxes of Remington Thunderbolt at Walmart, for $14.58 per box. It's been pretty steadily decreasing in price as the shelves are sagging from the weight of hundreds of thousands of rounds. It's nice to see. I wonder if it will go lower yet?

Yes, I know a lot of people don't care for Thunderbolts, but my son and I took some out recently and burned through a couple hundred rounds in the 10-22, without a single malfunction or misfire.
Fyi Bimart will be at 1.87 cents per round (after rebate) on nov 22-24. It has sure been a long time since we've seen it that cheap. BiMart federal 22lr @ 1.87 ppr after rebate, starts nov 22

I picked up 3200 rounds of Federal Black Label for $49.98 after rebates those 3200 rounds will be $9.98 or $.003 per round https://i.imgur.com/MZ428uw.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top