JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It doesn't seem like very long ago that many were saying that 8 to ten cents per round was the new normal for bulk .22lr ammo, and we would never again see it any cheaper.

I just bought a couple 500 round boxes of Remington Thunderbolt at Walmart, for $14.58 per box. It's been pretty steadily decreasing in price as the shelves are sagging from the weight of hundreds of thousands of rounds. It's nice to see. I wonder if it will go lower yet?

Yes, I know a lot of people don't care for Thunderbolts, but my son and I took some out recently and burned through a couple hundred rounds in the 10-22, without a single malfunction or misfire.

It doesn't seem like very long ago that many were saying that 8 to ten cents per round was the new normal for bulk .22lr ammo, and we would never again see it any cheaper.

I just bought a couple 500 round boxes of Remington Thunderbolt at Walmart, for $14.58 per box. It's been pretty steadily decreasing in price as the shelves are sagging from the weight of hundreds of thousands of rounds. It's nice to see. I wonder if it will go lower yet?

Yes, I know a lot of people don't care for Thunderbolts, but my son and I took some out recently and burned through a couple hundred rounds in the 10-22, without a single malfunction or misfire.

I don't know how low it will go, but it's interesting to see how much is out there. I saw some on sale at BiMart. Not as cheap as Wall World, but having enough to list in an ad is nice.

My only complaint with Thunderbolts is accuracy from some guns. They are probably a little on the dirty side, too, but we went thru 100 in my nephew's Taurus revolver Sunday without a hitch. I've always had pretty good luck with them.

Just the other day I say an online ad for some Remington bulk ammo for under $14 per 500 - so less than 3 cents per round. There was a limit on it; 1500 or 3 boxes. I didn't check what the shipping was. My guess is it was a loss leader.

I think it will be around 3 cents for bulk ammo on sale for about a year or so, and then in 2020 the price will maybe go up for guns and ammo in general due to the elections. Maybe sooner as democrats start pushing their symbolic legislation next year.

If you don't have the guns and ammo you need/want now, best get some if you can afford it - it won't get much cheaper.

The last election was a real shock. The panic shortage had been going on for so long and most expected Hilary to win. After the win the market bottom dropped out. It's still dropping. The only downside to this is the short memories. Few gun owners will stock up and keep a stock. Soon they will forget this last great shortage. When the next one hits they will scramble to buy. <shrug>

I've known several people who really seemed to enjoy the hunt for ammo during the lean times. They would search around and find the best deals, stand in line at Walmart at 6am to get one brick of .22lr. Then they wouldn't even shoot it, just hoard it and feel good that they have a good supply of something that's hard to get. Now that it's cheap and plentiful they don't talk about it anymore. The fun is gone I guess.

Buy, buy, buy, buy!

Seriously, we are always another act of violence away from another knee jerk reaction.

^ Some can't be helped.

I mean who doesn't like shooting 22lr, oh wait!

:p

Buy, buy, buy, buy!

Seriously, we are always another act of violence away from another knee jerk reaction.

You are absolutely right. It's just a matter of time. The gun control folks are primed and ready to go, just waiting for the right catalyst to push their agenda.

People still buy that stuff? Huh. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty eclectic in my firearms interests. I don't hunt, don't compete, and am not a serious collector. I just like to go to the range once in a while for fun and relaxation. Some days you just can't beat some .22 rifles and pistols for a relaxing afternoon at the range.

I'm pretty eclectic in my firearms interests. I don't hunt, don't compete, and am not a serious collector. I just like to go to the range once in a while for fun and relaxation. Some days you just can't beat some .22 rifles and pistols for a relaxing afternoon at the range.
Hell ya!

Nothing beats a sore thumb at the end of the day after having loaded 500 rounds and only spent maybe $20 bucks.

I've got a decent supply of bulk stuff. Now I've been stocking up on the higher grade 22lr. I have a couple guns that have a liking for the CCI standard velocity. Brownells has it on sale with free shipping once in a while and my mailman always knows, lol

Hell ya!

Nothing beats a sore thumb at the end of the day after having loaded 500 rounds and only spent maybe $20 bucks.

Stop it. We all know you have one of these Speedloaders and run 5,000 rounds through your Ruger pistol at the range each visit ;)

For those who don't have this, get one! $18 - $20. Your thumbs will thank you.

Up2.jpg

Just checked bulk ammo .com and you REALLY undercut them!
Cheapest thing they list is Philipino Armscor ammo (which I hear can be really dirty ammo to use) and a box of 5k was $170.
That $17 for 500, or 3.4 cents/round (yours was 2.9+).
....I think I need to stroll over to Walmart! :eek:

What I find amusing is the fact that of all the calibers, 22lr seems to be the one that disappears during a panik. I think people like the "warm and fuzzy" feeling they get when sitting on 10k+ 22lr rounds. Because frankly .22 is cheap and easy to store. But really, it's a lousy caliber for most things besides little critters and is NOT a good defensive round either. So while you sit and stare at your mountain of .22 and feel all good about yourself, I'll be buying larger calibers that are actually useful for more than popping beer cans. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews