JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently have a Ruger 10/22 Target that I am planning on getting rid of (not really a big fan of rotary magazines). I shoot single stack 1911s and M1a rifles so maybe this is a trend? ;)

I have been looking at 22lr bolt rifles and would like some opinions based on experience with reliability of your 22lr bolt rifles.

My needs:

22LR (not magnum)
Bolt (not semi-auto or pump)
Standard magazine (no rotary, tube or single)
Iron sights
Well made (not willing to pay top of the line but don't buy junk either)

I have heard great reviews about the CZ452 but have yet to talk with someone who owns and shoots one.

Suggestions?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

- Netsecsys
Semper Fi

Last Edited:
I have a CZ 452 Lux - very well made gun, very accurate. Sights are great. It's kind of a relaxing to just take your time with a bolt .22 rather than blasting away with a semi-auto. Good gun to introduce new shooters if you take them to the range. I can't really think of anything bad to say about it.

Just personal preference, I don't like the 10rd magazines on these guns - they stick out too far. 5rd magazines are flush (more or less) with the stock.

I had a similar desire to buy a .22LR bolt rifle awhile ago. I just went around to gun stores looking for something under $200 (used). I bought a nice little Marlin with a scope already mounted on it. Shoots great.

Just go looking around gun stores. If you see a rifle you like and the price is right, buy it.

The little Romanian M69 trainers can be had in the $120 to $130 range, maybe a little cheaper if you look. I saw two at the last Portland gun show. Its built like a mini-Mauser, but in a full sized stock. 5-round detachable magazine. Flip-up rear notch sights for 25, 50 and 100 meters. Adjustable hooded front post. With my lousy eyes, shooting from my weak side and using crappy Wally World bulk, I can maintain 3/4" 5-shot groups at 25 yards with the open sights. People who can actually shoot report clover leaf performance with theirs. The rifle's design drawback is possible weak extraction with spent cases.

Keith

Netsycsys

For accuracy, reliabilty and a whole mess of other things, you will find the CZ and the Savage MKII at the top of most lists. Others will chip in on the Ruger 77/22 and others with the various Remington Models,(40, etc.) and probably still others. There are so many you might like and maybe fit your style a bit - Anschutz both pre and post WWII are out there and are very fine shooters. You know the drill - search, think, search, contemplate, search, hunt and shop and one day, the answer arrives. Enjoy it. Will you be listing your 10/22 on this site?

i would hit up pawn shops.i got a 1938 model 41 remington target master in perfect shape and mint bore for 100 bucks. the dang thing has a 26 inch barrel.it shoots awsome and is a great weapon.

Thanks for all the replies. I see I still have a bit of homework to do ;)

Another factor that is going to influence my purchase is the availability of spare parts and magazines. I would like to be able to assemble a fair qty of spare parts for the rifle and have at least 10 magazines for it (not interested in hi-cap). I'll be using it for plinking, teaching others to use a rifle, Appleseed qualification and small game hunting. Accuracy is a big plus.

In regards to going to the pawn shops; I think I would be comfortable with that if I put together a top 5 list based on solid research (I am the opposite of an impulse buyer and *HATE* making the wrong decision..miss out of the right item sometimes but I'll live with it).

Thanks again for your input!

- Netsecsys
Semper Fi

Oh, and yes, I will be posting the 10/22 Target on NWFA after I find the right 22 replacement.

CZ 452 is a very good gun for the money. I own one in .22 mag and find it is quite accurate. Only drawback is the trigger. However, you can buy an aftermarket trigger spring from Brownell's and install it yourself (quite easy, couple of pins and a nut), which gives it a fairly good trigger.

The first firearm I ever owned/fired was a CZ452 - Style (doesn't have iron sights, is synthetic/ss - what did I know?). It remains my favorite rifle. Very accurate, stock is very comfortable, and I think the trigger is great.Highly recommended.

I'll put in another vote for the Winchester Model 69/69a. Buick455's description as "crazy accurate" fits my rifle, I've had it for 14 years, bought it used at the expo gun show. It has been a fabulous squirrel gun and it's definitely my go-to gun for friends and acquaintances interested in learning to shoot. It has the target peep sight. I remember looking for magazines and while the internet seemed kinda disparaging, they weren't hard to find at the gunshow. After having shot some Kimber ultra-uber-target .22 at the DRRC I can say that my setup is not as accurate, but it's target worthy at around 1/10th the price.

I've been very satisfied with my CZ452 varmint. No irons (see the Lux/Ultra Lux for that), but I wanted the raised stock and the heavier barrel.

The trigger, while light, isn't as crisp as I'd like. But then it's pretty good for a factory trigger.

5rd. or 10rd. single stack mags. Feeds everything (including the 20gr primer only rounds) and a slick little bolt. Basically a miniature Mauser.

I had mine threaded by Mike at Torando Technologies and it's very quiet. Lots of fun too, without just burning through ammo.

I've been able to hold 0.5" at 50 yards with it (I know, that's still 1MOA, I'm trying to get better).

For even more fun, I like to shoot it out to 300 yards. =)

I have a CZ 452 Lux - very well made gun, very accurate. Sights are great. It's kind of a relaxing to just take your time with a bolt .22 rather than blasting away with a semi-auto. Good gun to introduce new shooters if you take them to the range. I can't really think of anything bad to say about it.

Just personal preference, I don't like the 10rd magazines on these guns - they stick out too far. 5rd magazines are flush (more or less) with the stock.

I have the same gun. I agree with everything said, including preferring my 5 round mag to my 10 round mags...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top