JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my son is starting to get to the age that I would like to start taking him out to shoot. (He turns 5 in March, the wife says it's too early but I plan to take things very slow so I would like to get him started) I was thinking about getting a youth model 10/22 but think the stock may still be too long for him. So I thought about buying a collapsible stock for it which may be a good solution but then I thought an AR15 in 22lr might be good to train him up for big boy toys as I already have a 5.56 rifle built for him. If the controls are the same and it carries similar it might be beneficial? I have looked at the Mossburg and the S&W M&P 22 but they almost seem like plastic that is crudely formed somewhat like an AR so they can call it one, although the S&W wasn't too bad. Am I over thinking this? I also know there are mag options that may not inter change but not sure on specifics. I have thought about maybe building/buying a designated 22lr upper for his 5.56 rifle but have read about quality and reliability issues. Any experience with them? Thanks for your input:)

Smith 15-22 for a reliable rifle. And a good trainer for the AR platform. I have owned two and still would if I didn't give up on .22lr as a caliber.

Yes, the m&p15-22 is awesome. Have had mine for 5 years and 10k rounds with solid reliability. The only ammo it doesn't like is was the winchester tac 22. Highly recommended though.

Yes, the m&p15-22 is awesome. Have had mine for 5 years and 10k rounds with solid reliability. The only ammo it doesn't like is was the winchester tac 22. Highly recommended though.

I never tried to run cheap ammo through mine. Funny, I had a box that somehow got mixed and would just toss the Rem Goldens and Thunderbolts in the trash as I loaded the mags. :)

No recoil, reliable and they feel like an AR. I topped mine with some serious glass and it made it almost like cheating on 3" plates at 50 yards.

I wouldn't do a semi auto for training a kid to shoot. I would do a bolt gun to make sure it stays in control and no rapid fire. He can have fun later after he learns the safety steps
That or a lever 22.
Anything but a semi auto for learning a kid to shoot
Definitely not a AR 22 variant

I wouldn't do a semi auto for training a kid to shoot. I would do a bolt gun to make sure it stays in control and no rapid fire. He can have fun later after he learns the safety steps
That or a lever 22.

I agree here. Even though I offered up my opinion on the platforms Mike makes a good and valid point.

That or a lever 22.
I know what you are saying... The kids bolt guns i looked at didn't have a safety and I won't train him to not operate a safety. When I said that I am going to start him slow I mean slow... Like thousands of dry fire cycles and a year before firing the first shot... A Single shot. It will only fire once with one round in it. This is how my buddy trained his daughter to shoot and now she is an excellent shot. Hadn't given much thought to a lever gun but I think the stock may also be a little long and don't think I have seen one with a traditional safety but I could very well be wrong. Lever gun would be cool though, my first rifle was a Marlin 30-30:)

Last Edited:
Another vote for the M&P 15-22 if you want to introduce the shooter to the functions of an AR platform for cheap.

We have two of those and have found them super reliable. My wife learned how to handle the AR platform on the M&P because it accurately mimics all the important functions on an AR.

The all polymer construction was initially a bit concerning but it's strong where it needs to be, it makes for a light rifle and, hey, it's a .22LR.

My only gripe is that I am not an MLOK fan but I won't be accessorizing the M&P anyway.

It's a great bang for the buck, too!

I agree on two counts:
- M&P 15-22 is a great rifle (for all ages).
- Single shot is best to use when teaching young kids fundamentals of shooting.
What I've done at times is only load one round into the magazine (whether M&P 15-22 or Ruger 10/22). Have a handful of mags ready and your SA is now a single shot.

I recently faced the exact same issue as the OP.
I've had a 10/22 for a while, but the stock was way too long for my kids when I began introducing them to shooting. At first, my plan was to buy a wood stock off the classifieds and cut it down to make my own youth stock. I also thought about buying a new "chassis" type stock for the Ruger.
I've been interested in the M&P 15-22 since they came out and finally broke down and bought one. The kids love shooting it. I love shooting it (and still love shooting my 10/22 as well). I don't have to swap stocks around on the Ruger and when we shoot the 15-22 it's super easy to adjust for shooters of all sizes.
Buying the 15-22 was by far the best choice!

Last Edited:
Another vote for a S&W 15-22. I put a YHM can on mine and it's been a tack driver at 100 yards with a simple red dot on it.

2014-02-23 14.30.48.jpg

IMG_0453.JPG A person needs tiny fingers to load a Chipmunk or Cricket.

My grandkids have all started on the Cricket-->10/22-->and now shoot the M&P 15-22.

Another +1 for the M&P 15-22, great .22 rifle, so far has eaten every ammo I've given it, even the cheap stuff. My wife loves shooting it.

But I also agree, semi-auto probably not best for first gun/learning, but great to move into.

Advance warning for slight thread drift .... Sorry.
So I like the idea of the single shot rifle for kids ( no surprise there :D )

I started my daughter with a Stevens model 15 which has a cocking piece.
One thing I noticed is , that if the kid does not have great finger strength , when puling the cocking piece... The muzzle can drift all over the place.
We ended up practicing with a empty rifle and just pulling the cocking piece over and over , until she built up finger strength and got the hang of it.

Note I'm not saying to not get a AR in 22LR.
Just stating my experience with a daughter and a single shot rifle with a cocking piece.

And not back to our regularly scheduled thread ....
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews