JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the early stages of planning a .22lr on an AR platform. I'm in the VERY early stages, meaning I haven't bought a dang thing yet.

Goals:
1. End up with a stone cold reliable .22 that exactly mimics the controls/feel/fit of an AR.
2. Keep the cost as reasonable as possible.
3. Function over form...it's gonna get used, rained on, rubbed up against trees, rested on rocks, dropped, stuck under the seat of a truck, etc.

Steps:
1. Purchase a Lower Receiver...either stripped and build, or a complete lower.
2. Locate a .22 upper. I've seen a couple used ones here, and wished I would have jumped on 'em. I plan on waiting for the right deal here.
3. Locate and install suitable optics.

For step 1, I'm considering 3 options.

A plum crazy lower like this one...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=197889630
I like the price, the weight, and the cast in color of the polymer...it might handle scratches better than aluminum. I'm concerned about overall quality and long term durability, in case I decide to put a big boy upper on it.

Or A stripped DSA lower, cosmetic blem.
<broken link removed>

Or a complete lower, like this..
<broken link removed>

Any and all input is welcome...if you've got any ideas on better values or sources, I'm all ears. And if you've got stuff that would help my build, lemme know.

Thanks,
Mark

Good point on the Hammer. I read about that. Thanks. Hey, I'm an AR newb, and am learning the nuances. I see you suggested the Doublestar complete lower over the Surplus Arms and Ammo complete lower. I see the SAA has a Tapco buttstock, and how that might be a minus, but help me see the other other differences are that make it $230 vs. $165. THANKS!

Good point on the Hammer. I read about that. Thanks. Hey, I'm an AR newb, and am learning the nuances. I see you suggested the Doublestar complete lower over the Surplus Arms and Ammo complete lower. I see the SAA has a Tapco buttstock, and how that might be a minus, but help me see the other other differences are that make it $230 vs. $165. THANKS!

For a definate dedicated .22 the cheaper may be OK but wouldnt bet it would last if you start using other uppers on it. If you want to go cheap try a cavarms lower they come along fairly regularly and cheap.

Look here as these are real AR lowers and parts unlike the S&W and the Colt
<broken link removed>
or
<broken link removed>
I have built many custom AR 22"s with many different parts and for the price and reliability out of the box these are some of the best.
The only way you could get a more acurrate 22 in the AR would be a custom build but they allways cost more
because of the upgraded parts.
Here is some picture to tease you
DSCN1134w.jpg
Nates22upperw10.jpg
Dedicated22Lrupperw6.jpg
a upper I built for a bud in OR that can have SBR's
TomsSBRmyupperw.jpg
AR22pistolwebsized.jpg
AR22TacSolSBX13websized.jpg

well you said your pretty much going to abuse this weapon, so i would stay totally away from the AR platform.they do not do well when mistreated.i would get a marlin for 159 dollars and get a stock and call it good.

USMC...I've got some 10/22's with Tapco stocks that are abused on my rimfire course on a weekly basis, plus a marlin 995 and a couple other bolt .22 rifles. I've also seen the SR-22 and the 15-22. I like 'em, but what they do is really similar to the rifles I have now. A dedicated AR build would allow me to use the lower for a different caliber upper later if I wanted.
My interest is tri-fold...I've had some interest from some local LE guys that would like to use my course to practice and train, but I'm setup rimfire only. I also want to experiment with the AR platform, as I haven't messed with them since the service. Frankly, I didn't care much for them then, the AR's I've shot since then haven't impressed me, and I'm just giving 'em another chance. Third, if the concept works, I like the idea of switching and playing with different calibers, specifically .9mm, .50 Beauwolf 7.62 x39, and .300 whisper. In the end, if the AR platform grows on me, I would like to have a .260 Remington version for hunting.

RedTazDog...That's what I'm looking for...great links and pics!! THANKS for posting that. The Quebec's are definitely interesting, and I'll be researching them more.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top