Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

22LR Ammo Shootout - Kidd10/22 -- CZ452 -- Savage MarkII TR

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by mr.revolverguy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. mr.revolverguy

mr.revolverguy Ohio Active Member

Day1 Review consisted of a newly built Kidd 10/22 Customized platform and a CZ452 Varmint both shot at 50 yards with various ammo trying to determine which brand each likes.
    Day1 22LR Accuracy Test: Ultimate Kidd 10/22 Build – CZ452 Varmint | Day At The Range

Day2 Consisted of the Kidd 10/22 Customized platform, CZ452 and this time I brought along a Savage MarkII TR. Each were shot at 100yards with various ammunition from the bench utilizing front and rear sand bag rest.
    Day2 22LR Accuracy Test: 100 Yards | Day At The Range

I know it is not the most scientific but I was able to achieve my goal in determining which ammo I need to keep around for each platform. I also had a ton of fun and after the testing shot at some remaining clay birds someone had left around.

Stop over and tell me what you think, leave comments.

2. Tim K

Tim K Colorado Member

Good test data. Personally, I'd have a hard time firing that many shots without eye fatigue.

My Savage (nearly identical to yours) just loves Eley Target. At $50/500, it's a good value. I shoot at the Olympic Training Center here in Colorado Springs, and regularly get 60 shot groups (the length of a match) into 1/2" at 50 meters.

I'm wishing for a 40X at the moment. If I can ever swing that, it will be the end of my other .22 rifles.

3. mr.revolverguy

I really didn't notice any eye fatigue but I was mentally drained after both days, but after a couple of long stressful weeks and needing an outlet I didn't notice it until way after I left the range.

4. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I am new to playing with 10/22 mods but I had to say they are a blast.

I bought a couple KIDD bolts and misc parts and love them, except for the fact that the bolts don't seem to want to cycle in my factory 10/22 receivers. Not even after generous lubrication. Like they are over-spec'd and jamming up. Will play with them some more and see if there is a solution.

Maybe one of those services that polish your bolt.

I said polishes your bolt.

5. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Nice articles - I've known guys who went so far as to use a micrometer to measure rim thickness and sort each box/brand by rim thickness as they claim to have found this sorting responsible for as much as a 15% increase in accuracy/tighter groups. One guy even weighs each round after sorting by rim thickness - he claims that the extra steps improved his groups by 18%. My personal guess is that as much as 10% of the improvement was due to added confidence in the ammo and a more relaxed state while shooting resulting in being more consistent. (You would have to know the guy and how particular he gets when loading/shooting - I'm sure not measuring/weighing would result in a high anxiety level for him)

6. mr.revolverguy

Are you still using the factory bolt recoil spring? I saw this exact thing happen with a friend of mines build, he went back and purchased the guide-rod and spring and all problems were resolved.