JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't shoot my 22 much but I I had lots of malfunctions with Federal Automatch that day though it grouped very good. Rem Golden bullet grouped the worst that day (prior its held 1/2" groups) and ironically it was the Remington Thunderbolt that grouped the best that day at 25 and 50yds. This was all older ammo I purchased maybe in the last 10 years or so. Recently I purchased some new CCI all copper and some Norma all copper for rabbit and grouse hunting (which I hardly ever do... ) but haven't tried them yet. As far as new production 22 being better than old stored ammo I don't think I could notice a difference for what I use 22 for. Somedays I shoot better than others and clean the gun better than other days.... I don't think that old stored ammo is less accurate. The thing about storing ammo for prepping is if that day came where you need it, you need it to all be the same brand to hold that zero.
You mention same brand to hold a zero. I see several .22lr test videos a week. Some are a few years ago or more, others are pretty recent. While you can tell that they are using different ammo brands and types (golden bullet HPs and Golden Bullet Round Nose) and other counterparts of their respective brands as well. Not to go too in depth here, but they were " bulk" but some were not.

Don't wanna stray from the point but even with a scope at 50-75 yards they said they can't really see much other than what they are aiming at and the tests are done well with 5-10 shots of the ammo and then reload with the next. None of the videos show they are adjusting any zero when they are changing ammo. I suppose that's where precision is? Not necessarily changing your zero but if the lot fits your gun well, the lot tends to be consistent. I don't expect much from bulk ammo but I'm hoping that if you buy ammo that is a step up from bulk, it's not cheap but it isn't 18 bucks a box to cut holes in paper. This instance might be best suited for hunting if it can hit a spot the size of a quarter since most squirrel heads are about that size, you'll want that consistency.

I also want to bridge the safe assumption that ammo seems by looks the same manufactured today as it did 10 years ago and further back. It isn't that I think older ammo is bad but rather if someone shot ammo in their heyday, that stuff be considered "best", guns had their strengths and flaws then as they do today. Kind of hard to get a representation accurately but it's mildly looking at what gun people shot and what they shot in it good or bad. Since many guns made by the same maker could be good altogether, they favored ammo like kids favored candy. You can find a group that will like this specific type only and nothing else or a variety of kinds but hates one and then everything else in between.

Hence why I've got probably 20-30 estimated different kinds of 22LR ammo because in 2020, I was apprehensive to buy more ammo for my .22 rifle because it was picky even with "good ammo" and I was still learning quite a bit. My understanding this gives it respect for trial and error, the hunt for perfect ammo isn't the point. Satisfaction can be a level of expectation but it really helps to be more lenient. I have Russian Junior Blue/Green box that has a mascot stamp looking like a turkey with forks for legs. How else do I approach this stuff with little background other than the person I bought it from was selling it for a widow. Send It I say and find out.

How else do I approach this stuff with little background other than the person I bought it from was selling it for a widow. Send It I say and find out.
agree with your action plan;
more data on the Russian Jr. I came across a few bricks at an insanely low price sometime in the mid-80s. I was amazed to find an otherwise unjamable Ruger RST10 which would eat hundreds if not thousands of other 22 rounds without issue without cleaning, within a single 50 round box of the Jr would be inoperable for slide or firing pin function. Good luck.

Beware, that Junior Roosian stuff may be actual Black Powder. Filthiest 22 ammo I've ever seen.
I'm actually intrigued. Since I'll likely be shooting it out of my Henry so It'll fit nicely haha
My .22's (if you count how many you have a problem) are intended for hunting. Yes, even the Government Contract H & R target rifle.

I DO keep high grade target ammo on hand for testing, and also "econo-grade" for kids that want to plink, but in overall experiments for hunting ammo (high velocity hollowpoints), I not only test for accuracy and reliability, I also test for expansion and cleanliness in the gun.

I was shocked when I did expansion tests of .22lr hollowpoints. Most were glaringly inconsistent in various media of capture. Even some respected, accurate versions like Federal Hi-Power failed to expand at all; at an alarming rate enough to raise concern about game loss.

My .22lr ammo of choice for some years has been CCI Mini Mag Hollowpoints. (36grain). They are clean, consistent, and none of my .22's (handguns included) "dislikes" them. In some rifles, they rival the accuracy of the high-dollar target ammo. Expansion is predictable, reliable, and very effective on critters. Without fail, that bullet will mushroom in textbook fashion, not fragment, and on a treed 'coon will stop inside the far edge of the brain pan. On squirrels, it is "Big Medicine".

There may be a reason that the Ciener .22lr conversion kits (and the Kimber version) for the Model 1911's specify this ammunition as a portion of the function guarantee.

To answer the OP's question, my radar went up when this ammo started showing up in "bulk packs" (often with a Southern Gentleman TV star on the package). I have some vintage Mini Mags on hand, tested velocities, expansion and all else, and concluded the quality and consistency is still there.

All my .22's (save one "kitchen gun" sighted for Short Hollowpoints: also CCI) are sighted for this exceptionally good ammo.
Fortunately for you, the CCI "BULK" pack of this packed in the same fashion that you find the 100 count sleeves in. They just got them in the box for PR reasons. I've got the Meat Eater version and the same ones in those sleeves. It would make me wonder if those packs being uniform, they must hold up to the quality control a bit more than the loose box, my assumption but don't hold me to it. The train of thought being if it's loose, it's economy ammo, it might have dents or slight or total dislodged projectiles...I'm sure I'm missing some other variations that goes with the boxes of....22 hodgepodge. Part of the fun, no?

I Guess it depends on your purpose.

If Accuracy is the goal, ELEY. No Question.

If Hunting... Browning.

Other than that, its best to do Testing to see what your gun likes best. I tested 8 different brands in my Ruger 10-22. Surprisingly, Federal Match was worst. Eley Best, and Browning a close second at much higher velocity than the others.

If Hunting... Browning.

Other than that, its best to do Testing to see what your gun likes best. I tested 8 different brands in my Ruger 10-22. Surprisingly, Federal Match was worst. Eley Best, and Browning a close second at much higher velocity than the others.
Browning's 22 ammo comes from Winchester.

IME, 22LR firearms are much more selective about the ammo they like than virtually any other caliber. Even in revolvers, velocity and accuracy will differ from brand to brand. For each gun, function and accuracy testing are the only way to know which is "best." Some brands will work across a wide spectrum of firearms, but again only testing will reveal that.

For example, in one of my pocket pistols, the long gone Sears 22LR lead bullet functions 100%.

I don't shoot competitively and have never bought any high dollar match rimfire ammo. My rimfire firearms are budget firearms and so is my ammo. I have no idea how many rounds of rimfire ammo I have but enough to last a good long while. I find most ammo will shoot good in one firearm or another that I own. The Henry lever action will eat anything including shorts, subs, etc. So if I have some ammo that gives me problems in the other platforms I can always depend on the Henry to light them off.

I have been wanting to try putting some lightweight .223 fmj projectiles in a 22lr case. Anybody tried that?

Here is where I would rank based on reliability (most important to me), consistency (2nd for me and consistency actually translates to "accuracy"), cleanliness (3rd). Based on about 50-60 different guns over the last 30 years or so. 10 = best. These r only ones I've shot personally. Never shot brands like Norma, Tenex and others.

3.5 - Remington golden
1 - Remington thunder bolt

I'm probably missing a bunch but those are off the top of my head.
Now, I have just the opposite with T-Bolt. It has been consistent, reliable, and accurate with all my guns. Golden Bullet has been just junk.
Thunderbolt is my one most favorite 22.....I am just baffled when I read so much negative about it.

Joe

If Hunting... Browning.

Browning's 22 ammo comes from Winchester.
When the (recent) Browning ammo came on the shelves a couple years ago, I thought they deserved a try, and was ready to switch from Mini Mags if indicated.
Didn't try them in all guns, but did try them in 4 or 5.

Mini-Mags easily won out again (for accuracy against the Browning stuff) in all guns tried.

The information @Lennie supplied regarding source Winchester now confirms my suspicions at the time: just something already on the shelf, repackaged.

And also confirms what I have observed repeatedly: the Browning name has been tossed at all manner of merchandise and does not carry the respect it once did.

If Hunting... Browning.

I have yet to buy any browning. Not been available near me so I'll have to find it. Question is wasn't Browning made by Winchester too like Herters? EDIT- I read down the line so missed the mentioned Browning is Winchester. Meaning I've got the Super X's and Wildcats. Hearing the 100 year anniversary yellow box is poop, I'm avoiding the buy altogether. At 40 bucks at 300 count no thanks.

For example, in one of my pocket pistols, the long gone Sears 22LR lead bullet functions 100%.
Yes Ive heard good things about that brand. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. You can't buy the brand at stores anymore and makes me wanna do some more research if Sears made this or it was rebranded...

of course how many products that were extremely successful have been discontinued?

Sears contracted out to the various manufacturers. It has an "S" head stamp, but that was just part of the deal. Never really compared the bullets side-by-side to see if I could match up the company that made it. Have not tried Aguila 22s, but there are good reports about some of their varieties.

Sears contracted out to the various manufacturers. It has an "S" head stamp, but that was just part of the deal. Never really compared the bullets side-by-side to see if I could match up the company that made it. Have not tried Aguila 22s, but there are good reports about some of their varieties.
FWIW I have found aguila to be stinky, inconsistent, and dirty. Not bad reability wise though. I have a box of supermaximum 30 grain I haven't tried yet (1700 fps).

Same I picked up some Round Nose and HP bricks before they got outrageous. I remember 25 doll hairs. Then they went up about 10 more. You get apprehensive about ammo you don't know. But then you read the reports and wish you bought the wall. I'm eager to try the colibri, bought some a few weeks ago but I'm also worried if I don't have the right gun, they'll get stuck in the barrel. Not like it's a panic thing but don't own a bolt action in case that happens for a dowel to push the lead out.

I'm eager to try the colibri, bought some a few weeks ago but I'm also worried if I don't have the right gun, they'll get stuck in the barrel. Not like it's a panic thing but don't own a bolt action in case that happens for a dowel to push the lead out.
Depends on which colibri you bought. Standard (420fps) is more for pistols and super colibri (590fps) is more for rifles. The original colibri was kinda in between and would clear a 16" barrel no problem. I have at least a brick of each of the three, they are fun to plink with out of a revolver. You can watch them go just like a pellet gun and if ya have mice or rats they work for shooting gallery fun.

Depends on which colibri you bought. Standard (420fps) is more for pistols and super colibri (590fps) is more for rifles. The original colibri was kinda in between and would clear a 16" barrel no problem. I have at least a brick of each of the three, they are fun to plink with out of a revolver. You can watch them go just like a pellet gun and if ya have mice or rats they work for shooting gallery fun.
Stumbled into a monstrous pile of Colibris (and Supers), and am curious to try them out, especially over the Oehler.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top