JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I'm looking at getting a .22lr handgun for small game hunting(squirrels,partridge,rabbits,birds,ect....) and was wondering what the most reliable,fun, gun out there. Right now I'm looking at the s&w m&p 22lr. I have also looked at the ruger sr22 and the ruger mark111/2245. what do you guys think????

You mentioned fun too. Regardless of the primary purpose for any pistol (small-critter gitter in your case), .22's are a huge blast during playtime too.

I cannot begin to estimate how many friendly (and ridiculous) "best-shot" competitions I've had with .22's. Dozens every year since the mid-70's - after we put the loud guns away. All for the price of 50-500 rounds. I don't know about you, but that could smoke my wallet with pretty much any centerfire wep!

So, since you listed "fun" as one of your criteria, I'd recommend shooting as many different types and brands as you possibly can before you plunk down the bucks. You might end up with a serious single-action revolver, a sweet double, or a semi-auto with potential to upgrade with all the bells and whistles. The big all-purpose savings/value vs. fun factor might reveal itself among those thousands of shots taken when you're NOT actually "hunting wabbits."

Another Buckmark fan here. I have owned one for nearly 25 years and it is my favorite gun. It has mostly been used for soda can hunting, and paper punching and has given me little to no trouble.

Smith&Wesson model 2206! 6" stainless. It is much like Certaindeaf's S&W 422 above. It is accurate and reliable and a natural pointer for me.

P.S. I guess it wouldn't work very well for backpacking. I just weighed it at 2lbs 7oz, empty!

Last Edited:
For a durable, accurate and versatile hunting .22 handgun, the Ruger Single Six revolver cannot be beat. The .22 Magnum option allows for quite a formidable delivery of extra power if the quarry is Jackrabbit sized or larger ('Coons, Skunks, Possums and the like). Snake loads (shot capsules) in the WMR are very effective for their advertised purpose. Long Rifle shot loads are truthfully "putting up a prayer" toward a sizeable rattler.

If the hunter decides Long Rifle is all the power he will ever need, then another Ruger gets my nod: the Standard Auto (or MKII or MKIII versions of same). Here you get bulletproof reliability, extreme accuracy, and parts and accessories that are nearly limitless. Grip and barrel configurations are numerous and accommodate all. The 5.5" bull barrel is the perfect combination of ease of carry combined with accuracy. However, my long tapered target barreled version (7.5"??) seems to shoot better on the paper. This could be the advantage of sight radius rather than barrel contour.

Off topic but: I'm not 100% sure however as a CYA I beleive Grouse (in oregon) is the only bird you cal legaley shoot with a 22. Ok I admit it I was bored, I've shot most of these and they're all fine guns, but still like my old H & R break open 9 shot with target sights. my advice is go to a gun show and play with them all, sooner or later one of them gonna say buy me and you won't sleep thinking about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top